New here looking to perfect the Spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Breelynne, Mar 16, 2023.

1. Breelynne

Breelynne Member

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to you both.
    Is the food you are feeding low carb? Grain free is not necessarily low carb. Also are you giving snacks during the cycles as well as the 2 main meals. A snack is a teaspoon of 2 of low carb food. A couple of snacks in every cycle (am and pm cycles) during the first half of the cycles.
    Have a look at this link and choose carbs 10% or less. Best around +4 to +7%
    FOOD CHART

looking at your SS I can see you are not getting tests in during the pm cycles. You are missing half the data so I would suggest trying to get at least 1 test in every pm cycle. A before bed test is a good habit to get into….if that test is lower that the preshot test, that is giving you a heads up that this cycle could be an active one and the BGs might drop lower. So you may need to get up again later and check BG. Cats often drop lower at night.

tiffmaxee and Breelynne like this.
  3. Breelynne

Breelynne Member

Thanks so much for the welcome :)

They are mostly on the Fancy Feast Pates for main meals 3 times a day their "snacks" are Reveal or whatever raw food they will eat to hold then over. I know they are not a true food source since they are limited ingredients. The non-sugar kitty gets a few treats in the morning but my sugar kitty never liked them or any kind of people food. I look at the grain free very close I've seen the potato starch, peas, carrots and even tapioca starch for thickening.

I've got that food chart (TYVM) open on my phone at all times! If I'm in a store I search.

You are 100% correct I need to test in the PM that is lacking. I do have a few tablespoons of dry down if I am gone or overnight for the 2 cats but Allie my sugar girl backed off her dry before she was diagnosed. I mentioned in another post I thought the food might have been a bad batch. The only thing about the Fancy Feast pates are the Phosphorus is so high! Hers is in the good range on her bloodwork (that is in the spreadsheet too) but I know that it is hard on the kidneys.

Thanks for heads up on the before bedtime test her PM shot is at 8PM EST so the test would be between 12AM-1AM. I copied and pasted those instructions and printed it out and will keep an eye on that.

I'm very appreciative for all the advice I can gather and learn.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Weruva has a new range out that are low phosphorus. Have a look at their website.
    Keep posting and asking questions

Breelynne likes this.
  5. Breelynne

Breelynne Member

Will do! I am making the transition with both cats since my other girl is 2 years younger but heavier. I'm scheduling her a wellness exam also. I've tested her blood and she is good from what I can tell..she is NOT like her older sister! Anything you do to her is like wrestling an alligator, seriously! Both were ferals when I found them and took them in.

Thanks again, I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Welcome to LLB.

Breelynne likes this.
  7. Breelynne

Breelynne Member

Thank you! Everyone's been so helpful and nice. I noticed the Gerbers in your signature, just bought some today!

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome.

If you shoot at night at 8PM, can you get a test 2 hours later at 10PM? With Lantus, the +2 test can act like an indicator of how that cycle is going to go. In a normal Lantus cycle with a gentle downward curve, the +2 is about the same as the preshot number. If the +2 is higher, kitty is probably bouncing, but it'll be a quiet cycle. If the +2 is lower than the preshot, it'll be a more active cycle that will see more downward movement. If you can stay up later to test, that would be great, but if not, be sure to leave plenty of food out for her to munch on to keep herself safe. From the point of view of dosing decision, that +2 (or even +3 if up that late), would give us great information about what is happening at night.

Some cats need more insulin than others. I think that you were holding the dose too long in the beginning, and that could have created some glucose toxicity. Sounds worse than it is, but it means there body gets used to higher numbers, so you have to keep increasing the insulin to break through. With SLGS dosing method, you increase every 7 days if you aren't seeing any numbers in the 90-149 range.

Breelynne likes this.
  9. Carole & Indigo

Carole & Indigo Well-Known Member

Welcome to LLB, such a cute kitty pic! :)

Breelynne likes this.
  10. Breelynne

Breelynne Member

I can but at 10PM they get a snack since they next time they eat is 8AM. There is some dry down not much and my other girl Cassie usually eats that about 7AM (some dry) then a smaller breakfast 1/2 canned where as Allie eats a whole can. I'm adding your post to my notes TYVM for the information this is still a big learning curve for me. I was up until 2 AM to test last night. Her PMPS test was 353 at 8PM and 1:33AM number was 303. I'll test tonight at 10 before her snack for the night and again during the night.

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

@Breelynne
    I would suggest you post here on the lantus board every day from now on
    You would post like this
    Date Allie AMPS # and then any additional tests after that and continue with her PMPS number and tests after that
    We always link the previous days post to the new one , your previous days post is all the way up too above that pic of that kitty on the left in that long line
    Copy and paste it .
    To add additional tests look to the right ,tap on Thread Tools ,then tap on Edit title add you tests and tap save

EXAMPLE ONLY
    Date Allie AMPS-300 /288 +2/200 +3 and so on

12. Breelynne

Breelynne Member

I can do that! Sorry for a late response I did not know there was a new post still learning my way around. So I should make a new post ...
    04-04 Allie AMPS 177 Lowest reading yet

I have to upload the newest SS and explain what happened after the new low number.