New here, just need to spill everything

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Miss Mew, Jul 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miss Mew

Miss Mew New Member

Hello everyone, you can call me Mew or Missy I guess, either is fine. My sweet boy, Leon (M/neutered), is nearly 11 y/o and was just diagnosed with diabetes yesterday. I have been completely beside myself. I know these feelings of sadness and overwhelm are common, but I truly am not coping well at all - I'm talking full-blown depression mode, spent all day sleeping and only getting up to care for my kitties/do the bare minimum for myself, crying constantly when awake, etc. I hope that reaching out to this community will help bring me some peace so that I can prepare to handle this as best as possible.

His symptoms started back in April when I noticed that the water bowl was going empty faster, but with 2 cats it was difficult to tell who was responsible. It seemed like he was at the bowl more frequently though. I started to measure out the exact amount of water they were given daily and it didn't exceed what I had read as "normal" so I chalked it up to the warmer weather we were getting. Then the issue seemed to taper off entirely within a couple weeks and the water consumption went back to normal.

Around the same time, I noticed he felt a bit lighter. I'll mention now that Leon's always been a BIG boy - his weight has hovered around 16lbs his whole adult life. He is built large in general and, while a bit tubby, he carried the weight well and vets never mentioned concerns over his size. Nonetheless, the initial weight loss was so subtle and I figured he could afford to lose a bit so I wasn't immediately alarmed by this. He is getting older, afterall, so I assumed that it was likely from that.

For the next month and a half his weight seemed stable, but recently he has begun to feel much lighter and (trying my best to weigh him with our human scale) he was losing more weight at an alarming rate. My big guy is now down to 13lbs which looks quite skinny on him. I was a bit worried before, but this confirmed to me that something more than age/weather change was at play.

Additionally, I had noticed no changes in his appetite which made his weight loss more bewildering. If anything, he seemed more impatient for meal time and was begging for table scraps more incessantly. He has always been a big food hound so I didn't immediately notice anything until he started vocalizating more. He has been a quiet cat his whole life so it really stood out to me when he began meowing lots in between or right before meals.

I scheduled the soonest appointment I could get, which wasn't going to be until August 3rd. At first, I wanted to try a new vet since my old one is further away after relocating their office. But I started doing research into these symptoms and became sick with worry from what I read (I suspected hyperthyroid at first, and oh how I wish it was only that now). I ended up calling the old vet and they were thankfully able to squeeze him in sooner.

They saw him on Tuesday, took blood/urine samples, and called me back today to confirm he has diabetes. They didn't mention any other issues, or go into any additional details with me such as his prognosis, specific numbers or care instructions. They simply told me to schedule another appointment where they'll show me how to do the insulin injections. This appointment won't be until the 29th, I don't know if I should take it as a good sign that the vet is fine with waiting until then.

Anyways, that is the story thus far. I'm obviously feeling extremely lost right now, I've been trying to do my research but everything just sounds so scary, overwhelming, and confusing. I fear that I am the worst possible person cut out for this job, and I'm just wracked with guilt and fear that I'm not going to handle any of this correctly. Let me delve into some personal issues, if that's fine, because it's all very relevant to the situation at hand.

I am a 29y/o woman who only moved out of my parent's last year. I live with my long-term girlfriend and, without her, I would absolutely still be living at home. The reason being is that I have my own physical disability; I was born with a degenerative eye condition that rendered me legally blind by early adulthood. While I can see, my vision is low enough to prevent me from driving, working, etc., and I live on SSI benefits which keep me basically below poverty. I'm legally not even allowed to have over $2000 so I have virtually zero savings. I am obviously very worried about my ability to afford care for a diabetic cat.

My second biggest concern is my ability to give injections. Poor vision aside, I also have a severe needlephobia to the point that the sight of them alone makes me dizzy and sick. I have fainted from needles before and injured myself badly in the process, which has been quite traumatic. Even now, if I must get a needle of any kind, I need to mildly sedate myself with a benzo and take multiple precautions not to faint. I'm just trying to get the point across because so many people dismiss my phobia as "just in your head, mind over matter!" when if it were that simple I would have certainly been over it by now.

Thankfully, my girlfriend has no problems with needles - she works in a hospital and has even done injections on herself. I felt immense guilt asking if she'll help me with the insulin shots, since Leon is my cat, but she said that of course she would. She's only concerned about what would happen if she's working a 12-hr shift or is otherwise unavailable to help in time. I do also have my parents down the road, and they are capable of giving injections if needed. I just feel so awful that its something I feel unable to do, and insecure about what to do in an emergency. I'm not writing off the possibility that perhaps I will end up learning to do it, but right now it seems unthinkable given my severe reactions to needles.

Furthermore, I really feel like a mess of a person to put it all bluntly. Having a physical disability is enough, but then I am plagued with a host of mental health issues including severe anxiety and Adhd. I am in therapy and on Adderall, but its a daily battle for me and I struggle hard to keep a routine. I'm prone to random periods of either insomnia or oversleeping, so my sleep schedule is often erratic. I feel so inept and afraid that I will make one little mistake with treating my beloved cat and it will have severe consequences for him.

Perhaps to my benefit, I am stuck at home most the time. It would be nice to know if I can still have fun outings or date nights with my girlfriend, however. I do wonder if this is going to further limit my ability to have any sort of life outside my apartment, when I already feel trapped indoors with my inability to drive and all. The is a lesser concern on my list, but one I have nonetheless.

I am beyond grateful that my girlfriend and my parents are being supportive and offering to help in any way they can. I just wonder if it will be enough. The financial expenses are, again, a huge concern of mine. After paying my share of rent/utilities, I generally have ~$450/mo left for my personal needs, supplies for 2 healthy cats, and perhaps some spare money for a luxury or two. My partner's salary keeps us afloat, but it isn't spectacular and she has her own medical expenses to save for right now. Our apartment is still heavily unfurnished over a year later because the lack of money.

And yes, I have a second cat so that's a whole other stress factor. She is thankfully healthy but I am already fussing over what would happen if she became ill as well, seeing how quickly these things happen. Frankly, I was a young ignorant teen when I got both these guys and I was certainly not planning for stuff like this. But they are still my responsibility, and I can't just give up. They are the sweetest cats I've ever known and mean everything to me, more than I can explain. My heart feels shattered into a billion pieces right now, and I can't stop thinking of the worst case scenarios.

I'm sorry to write an entire essay and for all the personal stuff, but I just deeply need to explain my predicament and what I am up against. I guess I am praying for some advice or reassurance that this isn't completely out of my scope. I've been trying to read some of the links provided around here but I get overwhelmed quickly and can only take so much in right now.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  2. Librarianista

Librarianista Member

Welcome to the forum - the best place you never wanted to be! (How I was greeted a few weeks ago).

I am sorry this is so rough for you :( Many of us went through a really hard transition at the start of this, but it sounds like you’ve got some extra hurdles to deal with and I’m very sorry.

Step one to having a diabetic cat - and possibly most important - is switching to a low carb diet. That means no more dry food, but it DOES NOT have to be prescription. Friskies, 9 Lives, and Fancy Feast pates are all healthy options for diabetic cats. Generally you just want to avoid anything with gravy. Just keep a little of that on hand for emergencies. Those emergencies won’t be a possibility until your cat is on insulin, so no need to stress about that yet.

There’s a chart on the first sticky in this forum with many types of cat foods and their carb content. You’re looking for <10% carbs for daily feeding. I ended up switching both of my cats’ diets when Chloe was diagnosed. The good news is that a diabetic diet is also good for non-sick cats and can help prevent them from developing diabetes in the future.

There is also a foundation that helps low-income diabetic cat owners with paying for supplies. Diabetic Cats in Need or DCIN. https://dcin.dreamhosters.com/
    R
    each out to them.

Hopefully I’m not overwhelming you here. The last thing I will mention is the type of insulin your vet prescribed is pretty important. There are three that are good for cats (and can bring them into remission!):
    Lantus
    Levemir
    ProZinc

If they prescribe Vetsulin, you should ask about other options. That is for dogs and is no longer recommended for cats by the American Animal Hospital Association.

I am glad you have such supportive family/partners/friends around to help you out. What a treasure!

3. Librarianista

Librarianista Member

Also, please always feel free to ask questions here. People are incredibly knowledgeable and are generally glad to share that knowledge. If it’s over whelming at any point (and it probably will be), take a step back, some deep breaths, and read it as many times as you need to. Ask more questions, or for a different explanation if something isn’t clicking. We are from all different walks of life so someone else’s words might help better.

4. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Good day Mew and Leon:):cat:

First, welcome, and you are a brave and smart soul for reaching out like you have. Your life circumstances really do matter - I can tell you are thinking hard and hurting even more. I am 60, and was diagnosed with Type 1 D when I was 18. When my sweet Tina was diagnosed, it was much easier on me, than this is on you (obviously), but it was still crushing because we never want our dear cats to "suffer" like people do. Just for the record, I don't "suffer" any more than most non diabetic people. I want to caution you about Dr. Google - it can scare the crap out of you! I'm sure you've heard that before ;)

Very importantly, I have dreams that switching Leon to a wet, low carb diet, could make a big difference. Once in a while, that alone can bring the BG down enough to not need insulin. That is something you can start now! What is Leon currently eating?

Please take care of yourself - I truly wish I could convince you this isn't as bad as you are currently feeling. You now have an answer to all the slow changes you have been seeing in your kitty. You, with the help of loved ones, can help him feel better now!

My gal has been in remission since the end of 2019! A little more than 5 months on insulin, now off.

Librarianista likes this.
  5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to you both.
    You have been given lots of good advice.
    Definitely switch to a low carb diet now before you start the insulin.
    One other thing. If the vet is not seeing you until 29th to start the insulin, I would suggest buying a bottle of Ketostix from Walmart or a pharmacy to test the urine for ketones. It is a simple urine test. Just follow the directions on the bottle.
    Ketones can form in diabetic cats if they are not getting enough insulin and enough food. So feed him well and test the urine each day. Anything above a trace of ketones and you will need to ring the vet and tell him as you will need to start the insulin straight away.
    The reason he has lost weight and is still eating is because his body can’t utilise the nutrients in the food because his body is not producing insulin which is needed for him to properly process the nutrients. This will improve when you start with insulin.

6. Miss Mew

Miss Mew New Member

Thank you so much the supportive responses.

Their current diet has been Iam's indoor dry and perfect portions wet food (in the teal packaging). They get wet food twice a day and I feed them in separate rooms (Leon will bully my other cat out of her's otherwise). They have been on wet food most their lives, just that unfortunately they've also been given dry food to graze on throughout the day. I never knew how bad it was, just that it shouldn't be the only part of their diet.

I was recently looking on catfooddb.com and know their current diet is not great. I was already trying to find something better for them still within my budget. I definitely want to eliminate the dry food and get them on a better wet food. As it happens, I do need to stock up on more food right now so it's a good time to know what I can feed him even for the time being.

I'm really glad that my other kitty can eat the same food. Should I quit the dry food cold turkey or wean them off it? Also, are there specific flavors in the Friskies/FF that have better nutrition than others? I noticed on the catfooddb that some foods can be the same brand/variety, but the flavor can make a huge difference in the overall quality.

I was looking at the Purina One pate, both in the turkey and ocean whitefish flavors which score at 8/10. Chewy (which I use frequently) sells them for about ~$18-19 for a 24pk of 3oz cans, which was within my budget. But given that I am looking at new expenses now, I may want to look into something even more affordable. I just want them to still have the best I can afford.

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

8. Librarianista

Librarianista Member

I personally do a mix of Friskies and Fancy Feast. The like Fancy Feast better but the Friskies is cheaper and they’ll still eat it. We do chicken, turkey, and beef primarily with the occasional fish (3x a week maybe?). Like for people, it’s not recommended that cats have a fish-heavy diet. Most of the pates fall in that low carb range. The food chart I mentioned earlier is a couple of years old but most of the flavors available today are listed.

9. Miss Mew

Miss Mew New Member

Thank you for sharing your story. With all the reading I've been doing, hearing about cats going into remission is one of the only things that's been keeping my hopes up, so I'm really happy to hear that. I hope your kitty remains stable for a good long while, and while I am praying we can reach this point quickly for my special guy.

My last post has their current diet, basically Iam's perfect portions 2x a day and some Iams dry food (indoor variety for both) to graze on between meals. I'm aware this isn't great and looking at what to switch them to asap, especially because they are about finished with their current supply.

Thank you for both your responses, I will definitely look over this and will try and find the Ketostix when I go grocery shopping as well.

Thanks for sharing, I may look into these! Yes, I have tended to always feed them mostly poultry flavors and only occasionally fish just knowing what I know about human diets. I'm still quite lost on feeding schedules and portions though, I don't entirely trust the instructions on the foods themselves. I'm already thinking they need about 3 meals a day but unsure how to space them out or how much they should have for each meal which I'm sure will be different for every kitty.

10. Librarianista

Librarianista Member

It took me a little time to figure out what my cat needed. The recommendation on the cans was too much - I was wasting a bunch of food. It might take some time to figure out the right mix for your cats.

I set wet food out twice a day for both of my cats around 7A/P, and leave it out most of the day/night. Usually one can split between the two of them each meal. I also mix in extra water to fill them up and keep it moist throughout the day. If they empty their dishes early (maybe by noon or 1), I’ll set out another 1/3-1/2 can until about 2 hours before I give my diabetic cat insulin. That way when I test her blood sugar, I know it’s not food affecting the number. I’ve also noticed mine have more gusto at night, so I also usually set out another 1/2 can before I go to bed because their dishes are usually empty.

My cats don’t need to be fed separately though, so I’m not sure if leaving food out will work for your family. Maybe if it they only get wet food, they won’t feel as much competition?

My civvie (non-diabetic) also has low carb dry food available to graze on in a spot that my diabetic cat can’t jump to. There are 3 brands that are low carb: Young Again, Dr. Elsey’s, and Wysong Epigen 90 (I use this one). It’s not cheap, but since it’s only for one cat who also gets a fair amount of wet food and I can use it as treats for my diabetic cat, it’s lasted a good long time.

11. Gracie85

Gracie85 Member

For the Fancy Feast, look at the Classic Pate's. They are generally at the lower price range. Sometimes if Chewy.com is low on a certain flavor, they will raise the price temporarily. Sometimes Amazon.com has a better price if Chewy has done this, sometimes not. Any food with gravy or sauce is likely to be higher carbs. I believe all of the Classic Pate types are very low carb, but knowing which type makes checking the cat foods chart much easier. It's a decent food, especially for the price.
    Don't let the vets talk you into any of those prescription foods. The only thing special about them is the high price.
    Hang in there, and just keep asking questions. You'll get this figured out!

12. Gracie85

Gracie85 Member

Since I am home all day, (also disabled and losing sight), we feed our cats 4 times a day. A rough figure for how much is 20 kcals per pound of cat. Don't follow what some of the manufacturers say, they'd have me feeding my 10 pound cats 6-7 cans a day, when they really need just 2 to 2-1/2 cans of the 3 ounce size. Our 14+ pound cat gets 3 a day, but we've been trying to slowly lower his weight a little (not really working, tho). He was diagnosed borderline diabetic at the same time we found out he was hyperthyroid. Immediately switched to the Fancy Feast, and his numbers settled into the okay range, so I guess we were lucky we caught it right at the start and held off further development. Treating the hyperthyroid probably helped, too, tho that was an extensive, and then expensive, battle.

You can adjust the amount of food by watching his weight, once he's stabilized, and seeing what it takes to keep him from losing more or gaining too much.

13. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

When my cat was diagnosed I cried pretty much 12 hours straight.... I was worried how I would afford it, how would I be able to do the shots, would I be able to have a life or go on vacation, was it fair to her, would she hate me. Then decided I needed to stop and just figure out a plan of action. It did impact some things but nothing as dramatic as I envisioned. It wasn't as expensive as I thought (lots of cheaper options online than my vet offered). Shots quickly became routine. I was able to take day trips and for vacations we just factored in the cost of boarding into the budget. She didn't mind the shots or testing at all and started to feel better quickly. She definitly didn't hate me and we grew even closer. It's not a death sentence and they can live long healthy lives with it.

Tests will be hard for you... But that's where your gf is going to have to step in and help. I totally understand your situation. My 9 yo son has Stargardt disease and is legally blind already at about 20/400. If you have a cctv you could use that to help you draw up the insulin. You could also use the zoom on an iPad. Or your girlfriend will just have to step in. My gf always did all the shots and I did the testing. You can try applying for help through DCIN (diabetic cats in need) who help those with financial problems afford care for diabetic cats. Since your gf is going to be the one to primarily give the shots ProZinc would be a good choice as it's a bit more flexible with shot times. It's about $104 on chewy.com and can last 5-6 months if kept refrigerated.
    we all need help some times. If they are willing to help, take them up on it. Make it up to them by baking cookies or dinner. As a mom to a legally blind child I can tell you WE WANT TO HELP AND IT'S NOT A BURDEN. :) of I lived down the street from him and he needed help like this it would not bother me in the least. I'd like seeing him anyway. Ha ha
    Set alarms and reminders on your phone or in an Alexa ($30 for the echo dot). It's all voice activated so you don't need to see to use it. (My family uses it constantly. My son loves that he can ask it the time and turn on lights and set timers himself. We have four of them throughout the house.) have some high carb gravy food and honey or syrup on hand in case of an emergency to quickly bring the numbers up.
    my town has a freebies Facebook group and people are always giving away items and furniture. Which reminds me, I have an old bike to put on there.
    Save what you can.... But there's no use stressing over what hasn't happened yet. One crisis at a time. Lol

Of course you can go out. Listen, if she's due for her shot at 6 and your don't get home until 8 is no big deal. Life happens. Times can be adjusted here and there. And if you really need to skip one once in a while the world won't stop spinning. ;)

The initial cost is a lot because you need everything at once. But insulin lasts several months. Syringes aren't expensive on chewy. Walmart Relion tester meters are cheap. Truplus lancets are cheap on amazon.

And you aren't alone. There's a community of people here happy to guide you. Encourage your gf to sign on here too so we can help her directly with any dosing questions.

I have a video in my signature showing how I tested my cat CC at home.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  14. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I generally gave 4 meals a day. Morning before the first shot, lunch, dinner before the second shot, and before bed. Just no food at least 2 hours prior to the preshot test when you eventually start doing that. The general rule of thumb is about 20 calories per pound of ideal weight. So if your cat is 10 pounds you would do about 200 calories... But uncontrolled diabetics sometimes need more food because their bodies can not properly utilize the nutrients. So in the beginning just feed what they want to eat.

15. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Always aim for the sweet spot warm the ears up first, you can put rice in a sock and put it in the microwave, test it on the inside of your wrist to be sure it's not to hot, like you would test a babies bottle. You can fill a pill bottle with warm water and roll it on the ears also.Just keep rubbing the ears with your fingers to warm them up
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    6. As the ears get used to bleeding and grow more capilares, it gets easier to get the amount of blood you need on the first try. If he won’t stand still, you can get the blood onto a clean finger nail and test from there.
    When you do get some blood you can try milking the ear.
    Get you finger and gently push up toward the blood , more will appear
    You will put the cotton round behind his ear in case you poke your finger, after you are done testing you will fold the cotton round over his ear to stop the bleeding , press gently for about 20 seconds until it stops
    Get 26 or 28 gauge lancets
    A lot of us use the lancets to test freehand
    I find it better to see where I'm aiming

16. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

If you live in the US most of us buy the human meter at Walmarts
    The Relion Prime it's 9 dollars
    17.88 for 100 test strips
    Buy 26 or 28 gauge lancets
    Some use a lancing devise , I like to just use the lancet , I feel I can see exactly where I'm poking
    Some cottage rounds to put behind the ear, after testing fold it over the spot to stop the bleeding for about 15-20 seconds

Miss Mew likes this.
  17. Taishi_Ci

Taishi_Ci Member

I want to hug you so bad! I feel so much of this. I don't have a lot of advice (my kitty was just diagnosed on Sunday), but plenty of empathy with the thoughts/feeling you're experiencing. Similar to your experience, our vet was not that helpful or reassuring. We weren't provided with much info or resources... we left the vet feeling shocked, overwhelmed, and confused. I think I was only able to sleep 2 hours for the next couple nights... I also have mental health issues (bipolar, anxiety, adhd) and my brain felt like it was going to explode. I couldn't function. I am extremely grateful to have found this forum. Now on our 4th day of trying to process this, I'm starting to feel like I have *some* optimism about the situation.

We purchased insulin from "Mark's Marine Pharmacy". It was so much cheaper than anything we could find locally. They are a Canadian pharmacy. If you haven't looked into them yet, I would check it out. We switched Taishi to Fancy Feast Naturals food as soon as he was diagnosed, but I'm realizing it might be very expensive... so we might switch him to Friskies wet food. Friskies is really cheap... we ordered a 30 day supply for only $40 (with free shipping) from Chewy.com. We checked his blood for the first time last night and it was *much easier* than I expected. I put him on my leg, gave him pets and a treat, then used the tiny lancet to get a microscopic drop of blood from his ear. I don't think he even realized I did it! It felt like a huge victory just to do this one thing and the (temporary) relief I had from my anxiety was amazing. Felt like this first time I could breath in days.

It sounds like between your partner and your family you have a *really great* support system. Plus you have the support of all of us here! I know it sucks to feel like you have to depend on others, but lean on them as much as you need to right now. If they are willing to help and support, take them up on it, especially during this really overwhelming time. The needle phobia is so tough and I know it's legit. Is it something you think your therapist could help you work on? I have successfully coped with phobias through exposure therapy, which is really hard at first, but it did work for me. Even if you can't do the injections, do you think you can be present during the process, or do you think that will be too much?

Sending you all the love. So many of us are in the same boat and it's just so reassuring to know we're not alone <3

Miss Mew and JanetNJ like this.
  18. BellaBlue82

BellaBlue82 Member

Hi Missy and Leon!
    I'm also fairly new to the FDM game - Nico my boy was Dx in April too. My alarm bells were going off as he was always around 20 lbs ( we think he's part Maine coon) and he dropped to 14. I cried for days when the vet told me he was diabetic. He was a mess, liver enzymes all over the map, neuropathy started working on him, and then the battle for the first two months with Vetsulin that his body just didn't agree with.

It's been tough, and many times I'd find myself crying out of nowhere. I wondered if he would be ok. Then the thought of giving him shots and testing - ugh!! I also have a fear of needles and would almost pass out anytime I had to get tests done.

We're still not completely on the level, but my baby boy has made great strides this past month. And honestly, I never thought I could give him shots - but here I am! I have it down to a science, I just make it quick lol so I don't think about it too much.

As we're still going through the journey, I do want to offer some good vibes and say I believe it will get better. I read so many positive posts here, and this community has really been a morale booster for me. Plus I know the calmer I try to be, the better for Bubba (that's his nickname lol.)

I wish you luck with everything, try to keep those positive thoughts going! Something my mom always tells me, This too shall pass.

Bella and Nico

Miss Mew likes this.
  19. Miss Mew

Miss Mew New Member

Wow, I am overwhelmed and touched by the outpouring of support here. I wish I could take time to respond to everyone but just want to say that each of these responses made me feel a bit more at ease and not so alone, so thank you all so much.

I have had a few days to lay around in depression mode, but I think I'm getting back on my feet now and more ready to tackle this. Counting my blessings that my incredible gf and parents are here to support me and Leon. I'm sure that there will be lots of ups, downs, and tears ahead - we haven't even started treatment yet so that's going to be another rough patch for sure.

I'm also trying not to go down a billion rabbit holes right now! Unfortunately I think I can't lurk this forum too heavily since I start to get upset and overwhelmed again reading things...right now alot of stuff here just look like numbers and words that may as well be a different language to me. For now, until we start treatment, I've decided I need to take a step back. I kinda feel like I need my vet to tell me exactly what to do starting out because I don't trust myself too much, lol.

For now I'm focusing on changing my cats' diet since its something I can easily understand and do right now. I've ordered them a nice big supply of Fancy Feast paté and I think, as of today, I may be able to stop the dry food. Leon had already stopped touching the dry food much recently (but his appetite for wet food is still off the charts), so I mostly need to deal with Aria (my civvie? I believe is the word) who is my bigger kibble addict. She's a little bit of a nightmare without dry food around so this will be fun. It's for her own good though!

I wish I had known how bad the dry food was a long time ago. My kitties have always had wet food dinners - I even used to get Dave's which I think is decent? (Sadly, it got too expensive, and the 12oz cans aren't ideal for picky kitties who want their food fresh) But the inclusion of dry food was just...Not good, I see. I'm feeling pretty guilty about that.

I'm still very sad and can't stop thinking like my cat is suddenly made out of glass and if I look at him wrong he's going to shatter or something. I still really wish this wasn't happening. But I'm going to do my best and hope for the best outcome for my special guy.

Taishi_Ci likes this.
  20. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, we'll be here when you are ready, and will be happy to help if you have any questions.

When I first joined, I found this post, so I'd like to share it with you, in case it helps, even just a little :)

Letter from your kitty during this time

Miss Mew likes this.
  21. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Don't beat yourself up about what you were feeding Leon and your other cat. (And you can feed them the same diet which will make life much easier for your. The food Leon eats is appropriate for any cat.) Most of us were not feeding our cats an ideal diet prior to landing here. The majority of vets get very little education about feline nutrition during their training.

You also may want to take a look at Gabby's Legacy in my signature. Post #7 is her story.

One additional word of caution. I truly hope your vet is wonderfully knowledgeable about feline diabetes. Most vets are not. Veterinary training provides only a small amount of time addressing diabetes and with that, it involves a large number of species. There are many vets who are not current with the recommended insulins that should be used with cats (Lantus and Prozinc) and continue to prescribe the insulin they are comfortable with (Vetsulin, Novolin/Humulin N). FDMB has been around for over 25 years and all we do is focus on feline diabetes. There's a huge amount of expertise here. We're also here 24/7 since we have members from all over the world. And, more importantly, we like to help!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  22. Miss Mew

Miss Mew New Member

Thank you so much again for the responses. I'm not sure what experience my vet has with this, but my family has been going there since 2007 when our last dog was a puppy. He's always seemed pretty good, but then I only ever had to take the kitties in for checkups before now. I'll probably have to ask for a referral to a closer vet when I go back in anyways...the 15-20 min drive is gonna become impractical if I'm going to be making more frequent visits.
    Well, even if I still feel utterly unprepared right now, it's nice to know a few things I can look out for (if possible, I think I'll try prozinc, I believe I read its more forgiving if your timing isn't always perfect?).

Anyways, if someone's around I need to be talked down from a panic attack real quick. Leon just puked a very tiny amount about 10-15 mins ago. He's been active and alert today, no lethargy or lack of appetite, and is currently getting antsy for dinner time. He has never been a pukey cat though, I honestly don't think he's puked in over a year til now (even when I had to give him different food suddenly because covid shortages).

And, again, it was only a teeny tiny bit of puke, he's acting no different right now but I'm still panicking a little? I did just transition my kitties to their new Fancy Feast (so far they've only had the chicken pate), and off their dry food over the past <week. This is his first full day having an all wet food diet, so I'm hoping his tummy is just a bit thrown off by the lack of kibble/increase wet food?

And of course it is 8:30pm on a weekend so that's just great. Should I be too concerned his diabetes is worsening, or chalk this up to the diet change? Ugh, I've been lowkey concerned about them not starting his treatment sooner but we are on the "cancellation list" in case we can be seen sooner. I was sorta hoping the lack of urgency meant that Leon's case didn't look so bad, and at the very least it's giving me time to do the diet change and get more prepared. But I'm worrying if we're sitting on this too long.

Tldr; Babyboy just puked the tiniest amount, it's day 1 of his complete diet change (no more kibble, FF pate 3x a day), no other worrying symptoms - should I be rushing to the emergency clinic or just keep an eye on him?

23. Librarianista

Librarianista Member

Hi there. Sorry no one got back to you sooner. I would personally not be worried if it was only once and just a little bit and nothing else is off about him. The food transition can be a bit jarring for some kitties. It’s also hairball season. If it keeps happening, make note to tell your vet. But if he’s still eating, drinking, litter boxing, and acting normal, I would not call it an emergency.

It’s not a guarantee for a faster response, but it’s generally a good idea to post a new new question separate from your intro post from now on. The subject line will get more eyes on your actual question. And you can also add the ? prefix.

The 911 prefix is for emergencies where cats are going into hypoglycemia (not a problem for you since that’s only possible if you’re giving insulin) or if they’re having very serious symptoms like trouble breathing, not eaten in 24 hours, blood in litter box, etc.

Miss Mew likes this.
  24. Acadaca

Acadaca Member

This forum is the most amazing thing that happened to me since finding out about my kitty and his diagnosis. I truly did not think or feel like I could cope. It's slowly getting better and the people here are all generous with their time. Whenever I've been worried about something specific there's been support to help out.

I am also on a very low income. When FCC's vet bills hit me I panicked. I didn't think I would be able to manage. Even moving to Friskies and Fancy Feast (as someone above mentioned, I mix the two because my cats like the FF more, but the Friskies is cheaper) was a little overwhelming because it was more expensive than dry food. I have no idea how I managed to get this far with my cats and not know that their previous diet was so terrible.

I don't know where you live, but shopping around helped. The cheapest Friskies I have found is Costco and FF is Amazon subscription so far.

Someone also mentioned Facebook groups that have free stuff up for offer. That is how I got my glucometer and strips. I am going to have to buy some soon since I am running out, but it really helped to have at least something covered at the start. I'm also realizing that sometimes it is cheaper to take a hit on my visa and order multiples to get things like free shipping. I know I have to pay it off, but in the long run it is cheaper.

I didn't return to my vet for a curve, but tested at home and followed the information on this site instead. To be honest I have relied on the kindness of the people here and all of the information that has been compiled.

I haven't woken up crying once in a couple of weeks (at least not because of my adorable cat). Take advantage of the support you find here and anywhere in your life. Sometimes it's the only way to make it through.

Miss Mew likes this.
  25. BellaBlue82

BellaBlue82 Member

I echo this post, I wouldn't be overly worried about vomiting. Nico has an upset stomach every once in a while, I've even had him checked for pancreatitis (came back fine) his liver enzymes checked, and no DKA.

I just give him an hour or two after he gets sick, then give him a small pepcid dose and feed again. He usually bounces back real quick.

Miss Mew likes this.
  26. Miss Mew

Miss Mew New Member

Oops, sorry about that! It's been a long time since I used forums and I wasn't thinking too much last night. But thank you both for the reassurance and I'll keep this in mind next time. I tried spacing his dinner out some last night so he didn't snarf it all down too fast, lol. He's been fine! I did find hairballs when I woke up today but can't confirm which kitty's they are. He could have been trying to pass a hairball last night, but it makes more since if it was my other cat's because she's the one with hairball issues and I've been giving her Catlax the past week to help her with that (and I do hope it's working).

27. Miss Mew

Miss Mew New Member

It is some small comfort to know I'm not alone, although I wish nobody had to go through this. =/ While I'm calmer than before, the anxiety is still constant right now. I hope once he starts treatment and we settle into a routine that I'll start feeling better too. But that's still scary to think about right now. Just hope I can do the best for him despite being a disaster person.

Agreed that its sometimes better to just stock up! I like knowing I won't run out of something soon and knowing that it's off my plate for a while, and it's usually more economical. I like Chewy because they often have the lowest prices if you're going to be spending $50+ anyway, and then you get the free 2-day shipping.

Thank you for the tips and words of solidarity. I hope you and your kitty continue to do well!

Acadaca likes this.
  28. Librarianista

Librarianista Member

No need to apologize! Just trying to make sure you get the help you need faster when you need it next.

My Chloe is also prone to hairballs, and she had it a bit rough a week or so ago. Lots of cats had similar issues recently - seemed like every other post I saw mentioned vomit or hairball.

Miss Mew likes this.
  29. Miss Mew

Miss Mew New Member

I hope your Chloe is feeling better from her hairballs. <3

Leon did well yesterday and didn't puke again or anything. It's probably just me being crazy/hopeful, but I actually think I'm already seeing a little improvement in some of his outward symptoms just since switching his diet? He seems to be less restless and is having an easier time sleeping/laying in one spot for a long time (he's still alert, but seeming more comfy). He also isn't constantly harassing me for food or following me every time I go into the kitchen and is more content after meals. Still a total food hound though (I sometimes have to keep him from eating everything too fast).

Also! I saw much more normal amounts of pee in the litterbox yesterday. Excessive urination was a symptom I somehow completely missed. I did notice the litterbox had gotten a lot more annoying to clean lately, but kept thinking "I just need a different scoop/litter/box/etc." or "Leon has always peed this much, he's a huge cat and always goes in one spot and sucks at covering up his business" - which is true but I mean what the heck was I on?? o_O The pee clumps had been massive and sticking to my litterbox/scoop awfully. Yesterday was the first time in a hot minute that I didn't completely curse my existence scooping the box.

Not trying to get my own hopes up but hopefully I'm on the right track so far. Really praying to see my boy back to his old self with treatment.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    Librarianista and BellaBlue82 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.