? New Baby Has Arrived

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Elisha and Charlie, May 12, 2022.

1. Elisha and Charlie

Elisha and Charlie Member

So a new Baby has arrived. Cedar has been with me for 2 weeks and has settled in nicely.

However... In the back of my mind I'm constantly thinking "If I do this will it cause Acromegaly in him" this is from washing clothes, cleaning floors, feeding him etc..

I hate the thinking behind what I do around him. Does this thinking go with being a previous Acro baby Mum/Dad? Does it ever go away? I wish the cause of Acromegaly would be investigated so I can relax more.

Sorry for the tread but just need to get it out there :nailbiting:

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I do not worry at all. Severe acromegaly is very very rare.Cancer is a lot more common and the cause is really not well known. I try to only worry about the things I can control. LIke what the AA Serenity prayer:

God grant me the serenity
    To accept the things I cannot change;
    Courage to change the things I can;
    And wisdom to know the difference
    I have had two confirmed severe acromegaly cats and in addition my first diabetic cat I know suspect to have had acromegaly or maybe IAA because even 2-5 units of R insulin would not lower BG. No one recommend raising dose comparable to what a lot of acromegaly cats require.

3. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hello there! Congratulations on the new baby, Cedar. Tell us more... how old is Cedar? Where did you get him? We want to see photos, please!

I will never know why my sweet baby Darcy developed acromegaly. It was a horrible thing to happen, but I don't think that I necessarily did anything to contribute to it. There must be a genetic component to it, and I can't know what may have caused that gene for Acromegaly to express itself and to allow that tumor to develop. Interestingly, I have three of Darcy's litter mates (his three biological sisters) and all three of them are healthy cats with no signs of diabetes.

Don't let worry about future health problems rob you of the joy of having Cedar with you. Cedar is living for today (dare I say, living for the moment even) and you should try to enjoy each day as well, without looking toward and worrying about the future too much.