need guidance

Ivana S.

Member Since 2026
Can someone please review Mau’s spreadsheet? Her AMPS has dropped to 146 for the first time since I started giving her Lantus. can I delay the next injection? When should I administer her next?
 
Looks like I link the wrong spredadsheet... here are her measurements... PMPS 329, +2 350, +4 340, +5 299, +10 230, +11 157, AMPM +146. The measurement taken after 30 minutes was 128. At +2 108... I did't give her Insulin
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q71vcBbAg4ZYJ0oT4ikClcs0cBRKg-xr80l7CC80NnU/edit?usp=sharing

Hi Ivana, this one is not opening.
Hopefully soon the experienced ones can advise you about SLGS and dosing.

You can put a question mark in your post - the blue icon. It can help.

🌿🌿🌿
 
Here are the SLGS instructions for shooting low to you numbers:

How to handle a lower than normal preshot number:

Until you collect enough data to know how your cat will react, we suggest following the guidelines in the FDMB's FAQ Q4.4:
Q4.4. My cat's pre-shot level was way below the usual value. Should I give the injection?
A4.4. There's no hard and fast rule, but if you don't have data on how your cat responds to insulin, here are some general guidelines.
  • Below 150 mg/dl (8.3 mmol/L), don't give insulin.
  • Between 150 and 200 (8.3-11.1 mmol/L), you have three options:
    • a.) give nothing
    • b.) give a token dose (10-25% of the usual dose)
    • c.) feed as usual, test in a couple of hours, and make a decision based on that value
  • Above 200 (11.1 mmol/L) but below the cat's normal pre-shot value, a reduced dose might be wise.
  • In all cases, if you are reducing or eliminating insulin, it's wise to check for ketones in the urine.
  • Above the normal pre-shot value, give the usual dose, but if the pre-shot value is consistently elevated, it's a good idea to schedule a full glucose curve to see whether a change in dose or insulin is appropriate. In most cases, the target "peak" value should not be below 100 mg/dl (5.6 mmol/L), and for some cats it might be higher.
Keep in mind these are general guidelines, and they should be personalized to your own cat's response to insulin. If your experience is that your cat does not became hypoglycemic with a dose which is close to her usual, then personal experience should be your guide.

With experience, you may find that lowering these thresholds may work well for your cat. When you have reached that stage, the following guidelines are suggested for Lantus, Levemir, and Biosimilars users following the Start Low Go Slow approach:

If the preshot number is far below usual preshot numbers:
  • Do you need to stay on schedule? Then skip the shot.
  • Do you have some flexibility with your schedule? Then stalling to wait for the number to rise might be a good option. Don't feed, retest after 30-60 minutes, and decide if the number is shootable.
  • Repeat until the cat either reaches a number at which you are comfortable shooting, or enough time has passed that skipping the shot is necessary.
 
Here are the SLGS instructions for shooting low to you numbers:

How to handle a lower than normal preshot number:

Until you collect enough data to know how your cat will react, we suggest following the guidelines in the FDMB's FAQ Q4.4:
Q4.4. My cat's pre-shot level was way below the usual value. Should I give the injection?
A4.4. There's no hard and fast rule, but if you don't have data on how your cat responds to insulin, here are some general guidelines.
  • Below 150 mg/dl (8.3 mmol/L), don't give insulin.
  • Between 150 and 200 (8.3-11.1 mmol/L), you have three options:
    • a.) give nothing
    • b.) give a token dose (10-25% of the usual dose)
    • c.) feed as usual, test in a couple of hours, and make a decision based on that value
  • Above 200 (11.1 mmol/L) but below the cat's normal pre-shot value, a reduced dose might be wise.
  • In all cases, if you are reducing or eliminating insulin, it's wise to check for ketones in the urine.
  • Above the normal pre-shot value, give the usual dose, but if the pre-shot value is consistently elevated, it's a good idea to schedule a full glucose curve to see whether a change in dose or insulin is appropriate. In most cases, the target "peak" value should not be below 100 mg/dl (5.6 mmol/L), and for some cats it might be higher.
Keep in mind these are general guidelines, and they should be personalized to your own cat's response to insulin. If your experience is that your cat does not became hypoglycemic with a dose which is close to her usual, then personal experience should be your guide.

With experience, you may find that lowering these thresholds may work well for your cat. When you have reached that stage, the following guidelines are suggested for Lantus, Levemir, and Biosimilars users following the Start Low Go Slow approach:

If the preshot number is far below usual preshot numbers:
  • Do you need to stay on schedule? Then skip the shot.
  • Do you have some flexibility with your schedule? Then stalling to wait for the number to rise might be a good option. Don't feed, retest after 30-60 minutes, and decide if the number is shootable.
  • Repeat until the cat either reaches a number at which you are comfortable shooting, or enough time has passed that skipping the shot is necessary.
Thank you for your response Mery and I will consider your advice if I meet Mau in a similar situation.
 
Hi @Ivana S. , I see two rows for 10/5 in your SS. Did you skip the shot yesterday morning?
Hi Bandit’s mom,

I just wanted to let you know that I fixed the last row’s date to 10/06/2026. Yesterday, I skipped the morning shot because I noticed that the measurements for +1, +2, and +3 were all going down. Because of the time zone difference, I didn’t get Bron’s suggestion to take the morning shot on time. Mau got her PM shot at the BG value of 425 (which is the highest she’s ever had!). This morning, at the same AMPS value as yesterday, Mau got her Lantus shot according to Bron’s suggestion from the previous day. Now, at +6, she’s doing great (her BG is 178). Thanks to all of you for your help!
 
Hi Bandit’s mom,

I just wanted to let you know that I fixed the last row’s date to 10/06/2026. Yesterday, I skipped the morning shot because I noticed that the measurements for +1, +2, and +3 were all going down. Because of the time zone difference, I didn’t get Bron’s suggestion to take the morning shot on time. Mau got her PM shot at the BG value of 425 (which is the highest she’s ever had!). This morning, at the same AMPS value as yesterday, Mau got her Lantus shot according to Bron’s suggestion from the previous day. Now, at +6, she’s doing great (her BG is 178). Thanks to all of you for your help!
Thanks! Could you please put "NS" for "No Shot" or 0 (Zero) in the U cell for yesterday to indicate that she didn't get insulin?

Sorry no one was around to help you with a lower preshot yesterday.
 
Back
Top