Need dosing help...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AggyBear, Jul 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AggyBear

AggyBear Member

Agatha's numbers don't seem to make sense to me. I have been trying hard to test mid-cycle so I hope this helps with dosing advice. Some days her low is 62 and sometimes it's 314....???

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Samantha! Good to see you and Aggie!
    Are you able to get a before bed test in every night? We really need to see more mid cycle tests in if possible for both the am and pm cycles so we can catch the drops and see if a reduction is needed or not.
    I suspect Aggie is bouncing and that is why you are seeing all the colours of the rain including green.

AggyBear likes this.
  3. AggyBear

AggyBear Member

By the time I usually shoot + get to bed it's only been 2 or 3 hours after the shot. I will test her tonight before I go to bed in an hour. I need to get get taken care of earlier in the day in order to get the PM mid-cycle tests.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Even a before bed test is good. If that is lower than the Preshot I would set the alarm and get up and test a couple of hours later. Do you leave snacks out at night.

AggyBear likes this.
  5. AggyBear

AggyBear Member

I had been leaving a bowl of the dry food out for my civilian until Aggy's last pancreatitis flare she didn't touch that food. I don't know if it was lingering effect from pancreatitis or because she had started eating this food but she was having the worst gas and when I took it away about a week ago I think it's mostly gone away? She is very hungry so if I did leave treats out she'd eat them fairly quickly in the night. I can try that though esp bc the dry food is gone (I wish Freya my civvie could still get to it tho).

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Better for all cats to get rid of all dry food.

7. AggyBear

AggyBear Member

Here's our info for today:

AMPS/11:48am BG 467 + 50mg gabapentin, I could smell she has gas (still) when I was giving her a treat in the afternoon- pancreatitis symptom?, also noticed she's been tripping when she's jumping on the counter which I thought was weakness in her hind legs but then realized tonight it could be from too much gabapentin?- halving the doses now to 25mg, PMPS/10:30am BG 375 + 25mg gabapentin,

I lowered the insulin from 2u to 1.75u (bc her BG numbers are all over the place and are high and thought maybe she was bouncing from too high of a dose) for the past couple days. I've been trying to do more testing mid-cycle. Is there enough info yet? Also some other pancreatitis flare concerns- continued gas + looks like she's in pain, drinking tons of water and urinating outside the litter box. See the spreadsheet for details. I would really appreciate suggestions on dosing + pancreas support.

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Hi Sam,
    I can’t see any tests during the cycles for the last 3 days and longer for the pm cycles….did you forget to add them ??
    I’m not sure if you should have reduced the dose if she is still drinking a lot. It’s impossible to say whether she is bouncing a lot or not without those midcycle tests.
    Also if you get a test such as 70 during the cycle…can you get another test a bit later to see if it’s going down further.?That will tell us if she needs a reduction or not.
    Stay with the1.75 U now but try really hard to get at least one test in every cycle so we can see what is happening.

The gabapentin could well be making her unsteady. Poor Aggie if she is still in pain. I wonder if she is peeing outside the LB because it hurts to climb in the box. What do you think? You could ask the vet if there is another pain medication she could have instead of gabapentin if you think it is making her unsteady.
    Is she eating well?

AggyBear likes this.
  9. AggyBear

AggyBear Member

Yes!
    No, I didn't get them. Tonight I got one +5/3am BG 216.
    I think it's definitely a factor of not the only reason! I'm going to get the walk in hooded box I've seen tomorrow!

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Well done!
    If you can do that each night and during the day, we will be able to see what is going on

11. AggyBear

AggyBear Member

Agatha is having another pancreatitis flare, today is the first day I really noticed she didn't eat much at meal time. I've noticed she's in pain so I've been giving her gabapentin and yesterday also started her on Cerenia and ondansetron.

I don't know at what point she needs assisted syringe feeding? The immediate first day? Is doing it immediately better? I feel badly for her, I know she's in pain. I don't understand why she doesn't want the food I gave her but she still stands on the counter like she wants something, she likes sour cream and cheese and sometimes salty chips. So it would appear she's still hungry but not wanting to eat her pate?

12. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You don't want her to go without food for more than about 24 hours at most. It's also important that she has food on board so you can safely give the insulin.

Sure sounds like she's nauseous....poor Agatha :(

Pancreatitis is such a difficult thing to treat.

AggyBear likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.