? Nebula PMPS 39, Stalling - AM +7 was 38.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nebula's O`hana, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Nebula's O`hana

Nebula's O`hana Member

Hi all!

This morning, Nebula's BG was at 255 when she ate and we shot her insulin however, she did throw up her Tuna so we waited 5 minutes and fed her canned high protein, low carb (chicken - Feline Natural).

At +7 from the AM shot, she was at 38. No signs of hypoglycemia or anything. Very active, healthy, playing with the boys - she's better than she's ever been the past few weeks. We kept an eye on her just in case but she's been fine, took a nap, ate well later, all good.

We took her PMPS and she only went up 1 point to 39 so we're stalling her shot for right now. We have a separate tab since we've been taking her BG w/ an Alphatrak2 at the same time, more so to note differences and work w/ vet on our BG curve we did yesterday.

Since she's been in the 30s for over 6 hours now, and she ate at +7 and again now (raw chicken, Dr. Pierson's recipe), we decided to stall.

Now I know it's going to throw our schedule off a bit more but we're okay with that.

My question is, I read that catching the "rise" in BG is when we should shoot for TR: is there a number we should wait to shoot to be safe?

Her data shows that her nadir's happen between 6-7 hours after her shot and usually a dip of 100, is what we've gathered however, there have been exceptions. Just want to make sure we're looking at the numbers right before we shoot later.

Thanks!

Previous Post: https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/pmps-104-shoot-hold-or-shoot-partial.249832/#post-2818211

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Melody I would feed Nebula now with some high carb food and bring her up over 50. It is not safe to be letting her surf in the 30s.

I would skip the dose tonight. I think the depot is too full.
    There are 3 times in the last 8 days when she has dropped under 50 and you have not reduced the dose.
    With TR you must take a reduction when the BG goes under 50.
    Please feed her now with the high carb food and test again in 20 minutes to see the BG is rising.
    Please hit the like button to indicate you have read this and post when you have fed her. Thanks :)

Nebula's O`hana likes this.
  3. Nebula's O`hana

Nebula's O`hana Member

Feeding her some high carb snack now, thanks! We just decided to do TR this weekend, prior to that we were just holding the same increased dosages.

Thank you!!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    Reason for edit: Edited kibble to snack, we don't feed kibble.
  4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

If you are going to be following the TR protocol you will find it at the top of this page. Please either print it off or read it closely. I would print it off as it is easier to follow and you can mark important points etc.
    With TR you reduce the dose if the BG drops under 50 (with SLGS you reduce if it drops under 90).
    You also need to be testing a minimum of 4 times a day. ie both preshots and again during the cycles to see how low the dose is taking Nebula.
    What I would do if you have decided to do TR please put that information into the signature and then start posting every day for a while to get guidance and advice until you get to know what to do.

*** when you get a number under 50 you need to feed some higher carb food to be bringing the cat up over 50 to keep it safe. Surfing in the 40s and 30s is dangerous and is not part of the TR protocol. After feeding some high carb food, test again in 20 minutes to see if the BG has risen up to 50. If not, feed more high carb or honey/Karo. And test again. If the BG has risen up to 50 you can change to low carb food and keep monitoring to see the BG doesn’t drop again.

If Nebula is high enough to shoot at AMPS your new dose is 0.75 units.

*****If you are feeding kibble, you are not able to do TR.
    TR requires only low carb food to be fed.
    Your signature says you are only feeding low carb wet and raw. If you are using the kibble for the high carb food, that is not a good idea. It is fat better to get some higher carb wet food and keep them seperate to the other food for times when they are needed.
    Bron

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  5. Nebula's O`hana

Nebula's O`hana Member

Sorry I mistyped, not kibble, we gave her a high carb snack. She's back up and got a reading of 88.

We'll skip and do her AM shot at 0.75. Thanks again!

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

You are welcome. I would get another test in, in a couple of hours to see she hadn’t dropped again after the HC wears off..she shouldn’t as it’s the end of the cycle but better to be safe. She may also bounce after that prolonged surf in the 30s.

She is a beautiful kitty. Is she a toyger or a bengal?
    I’ll tag a couple of people who should be around at your AMPS in case you need some help as I will be fast asleep!
    @tiffmaxee
    @Christie & Maverick

7. Nebula's O`hana

Nebula's O`hana Member

Thanks again! We'll be doing another test in a few hours and updating the spreadsheet. And thank you, Nebula's a bengal! :)

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I thought she might be. She’s beautiful. How old is she?
    I have heard they are very active ….is she an indoor cat?

9. Nebula's O`hana

Nebula's O`hana Member

Very active and an indoor cat. She only goes outside when on a leash; she goes on walks and plays in the park with our other Bengal, her brother Astral. Nebula will be 5 years old in November.

It's one of the things that sounded an alarm in my head when she wasn't as active - we have a cat wheel she uses multiple times a day so when she stopped using it and started laying on it is when we knew something was wrong, eventually finding out she was diabetic.

10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

She is young to be a diabetic although we do get some younger diabetic cats.
    I’d love to see some photos if you could post them. I looked at getting a bengal as they are just gorgeous, but decided on an Australia Mist as I had already had one and she was such a beautifully natured cat. Would also love to see your cat wheel. My two are indoor cats and get stir crazy at times

11. Nebula's O`hana

Nebula's O`hana Member

I couldn't figure out a way to upload photos here so I added a photo tab in our Google Sheet of Nebula & her cat wheel.

Ah that's what your kitty's are! Never heard of the breed before, they look gorgeous.

12. Nebula's O`hana

Nebula's O`hana Member

We found it strange too, the diagnosis of diabetes. She never ate kibble or overweight either. Always floated between 10-11 lbs. She's always eaten raw that we've made ourselves using the recipe from Dr Lisa that's also on this website. Sometimes high protein, low carb wet food since she was a kitten too, along with her brother, and he's just fine.

13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I love the photos, she is gorgeous. the cat wheel in very interesting. How do you get them to stay on it?
    The ‘upload a file’ is not working at the moment but you can copy and paste to get a photo in the thread.
    I also feed my lot a raw diet. But Sheba wasn’t always fed a raw diet but was after diagnosis.

That is interesting that she was so young and you were feeding a raw diet. Makes you wonder if there is a hereditary link.

14. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Are you using a pet meter, or human meter?
    Your take action number is higher, if you use a pet meter.

Every time you get a lime green it's time to do something about it, feed and test a few hours. It's not safe to get a 45 and do nothing.

Did she get a steroid shot at some point?

15. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Melody is using both. She likes to have the pet meter for the vet. If you open the SS you can see both.

Nebula's O`hana and SashaV like this.
  16. Nebula's O`hana

Nebula's O`hana Member

Thanks Sasha. As Bron mentioned, I use both Freestyle Freedom Lite (human) & Alpha Trak 2 (pet) at the same time; the AT2 more so for the new vet we've been working with so he can review the data as well.

Nebula has not received any sort of additional shots as of yet. She was diagnosed about 30 days ago.

Her AMPS (401) was high this AM as expected with the skipped shot last night and high carb snack to bring her BG up after a long surf in the 30s. We shot at 0.75 this morning and will continue monitoring throughout the day.

Thanks all!

Christie & Maverick likes this.