Misty's numbers all over the place

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bree & Misty, Jul 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bree & Misty

Bree & Misty Member

Hi,
    Would someone mind taking a look at Misty's spreadsheet attached in my signature?
    Her numbers seem all over the place, and higher than I'd expect. She tested 508 at the vet's office, and despite switching exclusively to zero carb canned food, her numbers don't look that much better. It's unlikely she has access to carby food behind my back either, as there are no children or other pets in the household. Also, from the curve I did, it seems her nadir is at like +4. This seems really early, is it normal?
    Does she need a dose increase? I'm lost.

Thank you all!

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Bree,
    I think you need to get some more mid cycle tests in. Is that possible?
    And at least one test in every night. Getting a before bed test in is a good habit to get into.
    If the before bed test is lower than the preshot number, I would set the alarm and get up and check the BG is not dropping too low.
    At the moment we don’t know if Misty is bouncing after dropping low at night and / or during the day.
    Those black numbers today look like a bounce to me.

It is possible she may need an increase but before we can say she does, we need to see what she is doing during the cycles.

Also it would be helpful if you could add into the remarks column of the SS when you feed during the cycle please.
    Are you testing for ketones in the urine? If not I would recommend you do.

3. Bree & Misty

Bree & Misty Member

Hi Bron,
    Realistically I can probably only get mid cycles routinely on weekends. Would that be enough?
    So I should get up and take another test if the before bed test is lower at all than pre shot? Or only if it's a lot lower?
    I'll get some more mid cycle tests this weekend and update this thread then. And yes I'll update the spreadsheet right now!
    I have ketostix, but Misty seems to like her litterbox privacy and I'm not sure how I can get a fresh urine sample. Any tips?

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Ok. Are you able to get a +2. Roofer you leave for work or a +10 when you get home? That helps too.
    If it is lower than the preshot.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Try popping a big spoon under her if she’ll let you.
    Or try part burying a small plastic container in the favourite spot
    Some people buy marine stones and put them in as kitty litter when they need a specimen.

6. Bree & Misty

Bree & Misty Member

I can do the +10 after work

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  7. Bree & Misty

Bree & Misty Member

Okay thank you :) how often should I test for ketones?

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I would test daily at the moment with the high BGs if you can.

9. Bree & Misty

Bree & Misty Member

@Bron and Sheba (GA)

I have some more data on Misty's sheet, could you take a look for me and see if you can tell what's going on?

10. Bree & Misty

Bree & Misty Member

Also, looking at her sheet, it looks like her numbers were better on 0.5 units than 1 unit. Should I drop down to 0.5 or 0.75 maybe?

11. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

Jack pees so heavy that he leaves a lake behind and it doesn't immediately soak into the litter. I stand and wait with a ketone strip in my hand, and then quickly dip it into the "lake" as soon as he jumps out of the box. This may not work with all kitties, but it works with Jack.

Bree & Misty likes this.
  12. Bree & Misty

Bree & Misty Member

It might be the litter I'm using, but hers soaks in immediately sadly :( thanks for the tip though

13. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

Well it sounds like you have good litter!

Bree & Misty likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.