Mauer

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by SashaV, Dec 2, 2020.

1. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

New thread as @Deb & Wink will request :D:D:p

So we had a light night and a expected PJ party, it's been a while since the last one, so I guess it was time.

I was so tired I lost the needle cap at some point, still haven't found it. And I tried to make a reading without putting the strip in the meter.
    At least it wasn't the needle I lost :eek:

Mauer was sick of me in the end, Miver had a party and I fell asleep on his butt twice. There's nothing like a warm kittybutt as a pillow :D

So do I reduce? I did shoot the same units on the same number at the 14, and she didn't even go blue.
    @JanetNJ any thoughts?
    I am leaning towards a wait and see approach.

The only thing different last night, was that I normally leave wet food out at PMPS, yesterday is was +3. Could that be it?

Deb & Wink and Shelley & Jess like this.
  2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If the preshot is under 275 I would say do a skinny 4.5

Deb & Wink likes this.
  3. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

223 last night, 3U and she got too low....

Deb & Wink likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

Oh yeah look at that. Hmmm. Ok ignore what I just said.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  5. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

I definitely will! :p:D
    But I'll follow it in her AM cycle.
    It's almost like she's a different cat in the two cycles.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  6. JanetNJ

Mine is usually higher in the morning too.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  7. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

What is she trying to tell me?
    Shot lower last night, she wasn't that high. She went blue anyway, yay!
    Didn't go that much higher at AMPS, so shot lower than usual... now she's green.
    Makes no sense! Or maybe it does?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  8. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

119 +9
    I'm guessing I won't shoot high tonight :eek:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  9. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Maybe. Maybe not. Cats are like that.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  10. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

She's only doing this because she knows Deb and I are talking about switching her to levemir :p

Deb & Wink and Red & Rover (GA) like this.
  11. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Even if Mauer's BG level jumps high at the AMPS tie tomorrow, 12/6/20, I don't think you should give her anymore than the 3.75U.

I'm thinking that the 4U and higher, was causing Mauer to bounce too much and she needs a dose < 4U for a while.

12. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

I was thinking the exact same thing!
    Her PMPS was lower than usual, and with the past few days of experience I gave her even less. My gut tells me that she won't go up like she normally does. Or if she does, it's because she got 9 pieces of dry kibble :rolleyes::smuggrin:
    Low carb of course! But still. It's a very very rare snack these days.
    I'm getting a +2 and the usual +5 :D

Deb & Wink likes this.
  13. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

We do not talk about the +2 :banghead:
    Ever...... never ever!
    Unless she's blue at +5.
    Deal? Great :D!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  14. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

AMPS 299 +3 148.
    She's going down faaaast, even faster than yesterday. What's going on?
    Is she suddenly more sensitive?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  15. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

16.8 +2
    Spreadsheet not working again :banghead:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  16. Deb & Wink

Hey, I thought we would never be mentioning the +2 numbers again? Per your request. :):joyful::p

p.s. Not much snow here. Power stayed on. All is well at home.

SashaV likes this.
  17. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Good one Deb! :D

+4.5 14.4

I'm so glad to hear you made it through the storm! :bighug::bighug:

She really went surfing today, huh?:nailbiting:

18. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

PMPS 148
    I shot 2U, 0.25U less than last time.
    The reason for that was... I don't know :nailbiting:
    I don't know what she's doing or trying to tell me... hopefully with a lower dose she won't bounce back up at AMPS.
    If it works it works, if not I'll know for next time. It probably won't since she got food with her shot and now canned food all night.
    It wouldn't be the first time she does the total opposite of what she's supposed to :eek:

For the first time ever no one asked for food today! I got my zooplus order - seriously I made a silly mistake, ordered a water fountain on the UK zooplus. I just forgot I needed a transformer to plug it in. :banghead:
    They both got a few purizon fish dry kibble as a treat, like 5 pieces and two cosma treats, that's it.
    It didn't send her through the roof! And she stayed nice and blue.

On Friday the had lost 20 grams from last Monday. Today 40 grams. I'm cautiously optimistic!

Hope you're all safe! :bighug:
    Now I'll watch the last few minutes of my Netflix series, and then sleep. Fingers crossed she'll let me sleep after her +5!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  19. Deb & Wink

Sometimes, it seems like our diabetic cats read their threads, and react to what we have said about them. So perhaps the mention of a different insulin, caused Mauer to behave BG wise. (Just kidding)

Looking for patterns on Mauer's SS (looking at trends in the BG numbers), it looks like Mauer will be higher in the morning tomorrow, 12/8/20.
    So please don't increase the dose, only because you might see a pink or red range BG number.

You might even consider dropping the morning insulin dose to 3.5U. Kind of a gut feeling on my part, the suggestion for that lower dose.

Can't really put into words why I think the lower dose would be better for Mauer.

Message to Mauer >>>>> Please little lady, let your momma sleep after the +5.

SashaV likes this.
  20. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Well, the last time you and I talked about switching she got her string of blues. So maybe just maybe :nailbiting:

I'm giggling a little Deb! Nice to know I'm not the only one getting a gut feeling and can't explain it :p:D

I won't increase until we agree on it, and today I'll try the 3.50U. Let's see how your gut feeling plays out :cool:

She went up, so I slept :oops:

It's funny, right now one hour before her morning shot she's so awake, talking, playful and rolling around. She's been like that every morning the last month or so. She doesn't seem high, even though I'm sure she is.

My meter is telling me her average BG the last week has been 11.1 and the last two weeks 11.3
    So she's definitely getting down there!

I'm just puzzled by her behavior! Even my sister agreed that Mauer is a totally different cat :cat:

21. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

So that didn't turn out like either of us expected :banghead:
    Wasn't even high at AMPS.
    Yet again nobody asked for food, so no food this cycle. She has been sleeping a lot during the day, fresh this morning though.

Back to 3.75U Deb? Or do you have other ideas? I could do one more day on the 3.50U?

I went back to the 2.75U at her PM shot, just a little fat one. Like Mauer :p:D

22. Deb & Wink

I would have gone with the 3.5U dose, if I had seen this in time.
    So 1 more day for 3.5U on 12/9/20 please.

Mauer bounced this morning from a combination of the lows last night, 12/7/20 and the reduced evening dose.

What do you mean when you say "nobody asked for food, so no food this cycle"? Do you mean that Mauer only got breakfast, and no food later in the cycle?

23. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Yeah, so no food influenced numbers.
    I think she feels full after her new food. I'm not gonna do this on a regular basis, I was just curious to see what was happening
    When would you have gone with 3.50U? Not at her PM shot?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  24. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Hahaha I'm sorry Deb! I really wanted to follow our agreement, but I had a pre-shot of 140 :oops:
    I don't know what the heck is going on, but I'm not complaining! First blue AM pre-shot on prozinc ever!!!
    I checked her at +5, got a blue and thought maybe I'll sneak another test in at +7. Still blue. Wasn't expecting it to still be blue.
    Surprise!!

So I canceled the 3.50U and went with a 2.25U that kept her blue not to long ago during her PM cycle. She moves more in her AM cycle so that's why I landed on 2.25U.

But I really do hope you didn't ment for me to shoot 3.50U at her PM shot yesterday, cause that would have gone baaaaaad :nailbiting:

Gosh this is exciting!!!!!!!! :nailbiting::smuggrin::woot:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  25. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

+5 STILL BLUE!
    Rising but blue.
    Knowing what I know now, I could have gone a tiny bit higher. It would have been awesome if she was green. But we'll get there next time!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  26. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

232 +10.
    Well, we had a great run at it! I don't remember her ever being so low for so low.
    Not too low but just in the good numbers low. I'm impressed!

Deb & Wink and Pookie (GA) like this.
  27. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Any thoughts, Deb?
    She's definitely more flat and sturdy!
    Last pink three days ago. :cool::p

Deb & Wink likes this.
  28. Deb & Wink

Yes, and you already said it back in your reply #25. Quoting it for you below.

My other 2 thoughts are:
    1. Fat 2.75U when Mauer is in the yellow or pink BG range at evening pre-shot (PMPS).
    2. Drop the dose a bit in the morning. Consistently. Maybe only 3-3.25U for the AM (morning) shot.
    Because I think Mauer is bouncing a bit, and you are overreacting to that bounce when she tests higher in the AM.

29. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

So in general you want me to go down in dosage?
    So 3.25U for her AM shot, and a fat 2.75U at her PM shot?
    I'll try and see how it goes :D

30. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

AMPS 283 +3 131

I don't get it.
    Deb, why do you think she needs less insulin? I see you're right, I really just don't understand why.

Wouldn't too much insulin just lower her BG? I mean, two weeks ago she could do 4.50U and do fine. Now more than one unit less, her BG does the exact same.
    It makes absolutely no sense to me :oops:

I feel stupid. 3.25U usually doesn't do anything, now it does. Could I potentially have killed her?
    How can she bounce, when she's flat in the yellows? In both cycles even.

I can't see where I should have been overreacting, I've done the 3.50U like you said, besides the PM cycle witch I didn't know if I should. And besides the day she had a blue AMPS. I must be missing something here :oops::nailbiting:

It feels so unsafe, not knowing how she'll react to a dose she's gotten before, on the same BG reading.

Do you still think I should look into switching to levemir?

I'm confused :banghead::banghead:

31. Deb & Wink

A new vial of insulin, a freshly opened vial, can make a big difference. I think it has for Mauer.

The uneven amounts of insulin, contribute to the wide swings in BG levels you are seeing. Fresh vial of insulin, so the reduced dose is helping as much as the older weaker degraded insulin did at a higher dose.

Mauer would have to drop really low, which is normally below 50 mg/dL, to be in danger of a hypo. Or showing some hypoglycemic symptoms that alerted you to check her BG levels. You do check her BG levels often, so it's not likely Mauer has ever dropped that low to be of concern.

By giving a more consistent dose for both the morning and night time doses, getting the dose amounts closer to each other, I'm hoping that Mauer will not drop as far in the morning cycle, but also that she will have less bouncing and not rise so high for the nighttime cycle. By that I mean you don't want to see her BG levels in the yellow most of the time in the PM (evening, nighttime) cycle.

This new bottle of Prozinc, is really helping Mauer. At least, she is seeing more blues. But you might see less wild swings with the levemir. Making the switch is a tough decision Sasha. One thing with levemir, is that the nadir is usually very late, more like the +8 to +10 hour time frame. More sleep for you that way. But a different mind set, thinking about the pre-shot you see, and any tests earlier in the cycle, trending higher than what you see now with the Prozinc. More like playing chess, where you have to think a dozen moves ahead.

(I'm awful at chess by the way. My chessboard is stained glass, and each playing piece is an "object cell" for use in one of 2 kaleidoscopes that go with the chessboard. I'm more interested in looking through the kaleidoscopes, than playing a strategic game of chess, and thinking that far ahead.)

32. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Are we looking at the same spreadsheet Deb? I'm not seeing any wide swings :oops:
    She has an occasional pink, but that more the exception than the rule unlike before.
    She's never been this steady going. Well today has been uneventful and boring to say the least...
    I took a nap after my dinner because I was hoping she made me a nice blue PMPS reading....but noooooo :banghead:

I did by the way ask if I should lower the dose when I opened the new vial, I got a no. But it does make sense to get her shots closer to the same dose, but I'm a bit nervous about going higher in her PM shot.

I also think this is the way to go. The old vial did work, but the new one is clearly much better! I just feel I'm running out of things to try with the prozinc.
    But these last few days has been very good, she's nice and flat, still no clinical signs.

I'm not that good of thinking ahead.. at all really. And it scares me that levemir is depot. If I make a mistake with prozinc I can correct it a lot faster than I ever would with levemir.
    So maybe we hold off on that for now? What do you think? Mauer keeps surprising us, so maybe she's not done with prozinc or you yet :bighug:

I'm awful at chess too :D then rather card games! Uh or escape rooms! Have you ever tried those?

This covid is going terrible. 3-5% of all tested is positive. I'm officially starting to freak out. We are worse off than in the spring, and now with the holidays coming up... it's going to be bad :(

What are you doing for the holidays? Any kids joining you?

We've had 10 minutes of sun this entire month so far. 10 freaking minutes. My mood is awful. Everything is grey and dark, raining and depressing weather. I need snow to light things up. :arghh:

Tomorrow is weighing day! Fingers crossed that the new food is making her loose weight! Could that possibly be why she's generally lower? If she is loosing weight I mean.

You be safe, Deb :bighug:
    I'll check in at +5 as usual, but I won't reply until tomorrow. I don't believe my English is that great when I'm half asleep :rolleyes:

By the way... being half asleep. This morning I poked myself with Mauers needle, when I took the cap off. Now my finger is blue.
    At least something got blue today :D

Deb & Wink likes this.
  33. Deb & Wink

Anything more than 50% is a wide swing.
    So a wide swing on 12/5, 12/6, 12/7, 12/11, 12/12 as examples for the last week.

Did you test yourself when you poked your finger?;)

Paws crossed for Mauer's weigh in check tomorrow.
    Might get some snowflakes tomorrow, mixed with the rain. Gloomy but warmer today than normal. Damp and foggy too. So I'm with you on getting rid of the gloom. But not looking forward to the Nor'easter predicted for Wednesday and Thursday, with high winds that may take out the power, along with some plowable snow.

My stepkids are long grown and off on their own, and we don't keep in contact. On my own for the holidays, just the way I like it! No one else to fuss and have to cook for. Relaxing holidays, goofing off and doing what I like to do. Besides, covid guidance is saying don't travel for the holidays, don't go to friends, don't share the holiday with anyone that does not live in your immediate household. Zoom instead. Come up with some fun things to do with your family that are spread all over the world.

Positivity rate in my town is > 5%, and higher in the surrounding towns, up over 9%. Some places in the state are much higher 13 % to 15% positivity rates. Hospitals are running out of beds and staff. You can open a new field hospital in the state pretty quickly, but you can't train personnel like doctors and nurses and respiratory therapists to staff it in a short amount of time.

Some states in the US are over 56% of covid tests being positive, and many are in the 20% plus range.

My state has rolled back their reopening plans, and placed restrictions on businesses again. Most are still open, but with reduced capacity. So many people here in the US still refuse to wear a mask.

34. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Alright Deb. I'm officially embarrassed.
    I didn't realize a wide swing could go down. In my mind swings and bounces only go up apparently :oops:
    So now I get your point!

I usually don't test myself, my teststips cost $1 each like the AT, and I use 200 a month. So I try to spare wherever I can.

She did loose weight! Yay! I've been weighing her too much and stressed myself out about it. That's not healthy for anyone.

Your powerlines is above the ground, right?
    I really hope you don't get that much snow! Just enough to light everything up :D

No kids of your own?
    My dad is also alone on Christmas, he enjoys it. Making all the foods he likes, everything in his own time. Sometimes I'm there with him, but I'm the only one who wants to. This year I don't know. When I'm not at my dad's, I'm at my grandparents house with my mom, sister, aunt's and uncle's, cousins and so on. This year my grandmother is insisting on covid not changing her Christmas. I don't think my grandfather is here much longer... but I don't wanna be the one who makes this their last Christmas.

I'm so sorry to hear that it's gotten this bad!
    Stupid people who won't wear a mask :banghead:
    I'm not wearing it because covid is dangerous to me, but because it's dangerous to my grandparents and other family. It selfish to not put it on...
    Most people here put it on. The ones who isn't, is the older ones whose at risk... that I don't get!
    I just read that a conference in Boston was the reason for up to 300.000 infections... that's a heck of a lot :nailbiting:
    This could be over in no time if people just stayed home. Really it's not that difficult. It's not freaking rocket science!

I'm worried about Jeanne. Haven't seen her for awhile now. I hope she and her husband is alright :bighug:

Pookie (GA) likes this.
  35. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

I don't want to seem to impatient but we're not really going anywhere.
    She seems tired when she should be around her nadir.
    I'll keep her on her current dose as long as you say so, but I feel this is a step backwards.

I was thinking about sleeping through tonight, it seems safe. But at the same time, this could be the breakthrough. Wouldn't be the first time she does something I didn't see coming.

36. Deb & Wink

Hej Sasha!

No need for embarrassment Sasha. I'm the one that should apologize. You write English so well, it's hard to remember sometimes it's not your first language. I don't know a single word of Danish, so I'd have to use google translate to understand. There are differences between US and the UK also, in how words are spoken, and what words are chosen can make a difference in understanding someone.

If you don't think that Mauer is doing well on this lower dose, than it's time to increase it again.

Yeah on Mauer's weight loss!

Jeanne posted in the community forum today 12/14. She is recovering from covid and her husband Leo is taking care of her.
    Yes power lines are above ground. No kids of my own, except the furry kind, like my cat Dancer.
    Snow predictions somewhere between 2" (5 cm) and 10" (25 cm). Depends on how closely the storm tracks to the east coast here.
    It's supposed to be really cold, 15 Fahrenheit (-9 C)

37. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

You shouldn't apologize Deb! You're awesome! And you're right, I believe we teach UK English in the school's here. But I'm raised with Beverly Hills, Melrose Place, Dr Quinn and so on.. I've learned a lot more from the TV than in school :D

I knew it would happen, she went blue last night. Every time I say something isn't working she turns around :p

Furry kids count too! I'm thinking of Mauer as a trial run with the no sleep and commitment :smuggrin:

Thanks for the update about Jeanne. I saw the thread, but I didn't see her reply. I'm glad she's feeling better. The forum hasn't been the same without her!

Gosh -9 is cold! Hope you only get the 2" of snow, that's just enough to light everything up :bighug:

Maybe I'll do a fat 3.25U depending on what AMPS she's giving me. Hopefully that blue a saw last night didn't make her bounce.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  38. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

I really need to wait on replying you until I've shot the cat...

Well, she was still blue! I've given her the usual 3.25. I'll be here to check up on her, and catch her if she goes low. The last blue AMPS didn't last as long, and she didn't go green, so I'm hoping the usual dose makes her surf the greens. Fingers crossed!

I feel like I should have reduced, but I'm always wrong and reduce too much.
    I don't know. Doesn't help second guessing myself :banghead:
    I'll just have to wait and see.

@JanetNJ what do you think?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  39. JanetNJ

i think you were good to shoot the reg dose at 200 (11.1 is the bottom of yellow in US numbers)... just keep an eye on the numbers. :)

Deb & Wink likes this.
  40. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

I feel cheated that it isn't blue in US numbers! :arghh:
    She's still going down, but gave her a spoon of canned food before I left home for an hour.

Deb & Wink and JanetNJ like this.
  41. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Hmmm.. well.. I've been feeding her every 2 hours after her tests, she didn't go down hard or fast. But I don't wanna think about where she would have been, if I hadn't fed her throughout the day :nailbiting:
    Maybe a little less insulin next time?
    Her +6 meal was a.. grand meal. Let's just say that :D

Attached Files:

Deb & Wink and Pookie (GA) like this.
  42. JanetNJ

Oh nice! You can do 3 next time

Deb & Wink likes this.
  43. Deb & Wink

Hej Sasha, I won't be very coherent in replying to you tonight. Awful headache. Thanks to Janet for stepping in

p.s. Snow predictions are now in the 10-15" range. (25-38 cm), with high winds expected too.

SashaV likes this.
  44. JanetNJ

Yep, we are going to get hit with it tomorrow, too.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  45. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

No worries, you take care of yourself :bighug:
    I hope the predictions are wrong, but I know you're prepared if they aren't.
    Hope Dancer is giving you lots of love :bighug:

46. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

3 what? :oops: when?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  47. JanetNJ

I would try 3 u am/pm. But if you want to stick with 3.25 you can. I think you need more in that pm cycle... Doing 3 for both would balance you out.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  48. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

You mean lower her AMPS too?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  49. JanetNJ

Well it depends on which protocol your following. I see you are not doing the slow method, (the slow method would mean a reduction of it goes under 90), so it's up to you. 67 is a bit lower, but you do test frequently and are comfortable to steer up if you need to you could continue 3.25.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  50. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

I'm not really following anything specific right now. Just trying to find what's working.
    Don't think I can go lower than 3.25 at her AM shot..

Deb & Wink likes this.
  51. Deb & Wink

Yes.

SashaV likes this.
  52. JanetNJ

You do what you think is best with the am shot... but the pm definitely needs to be bumped up to 3

SashaV likes this.
  53. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

But why lower her AM dose?

54. JanetNJ

If you were following the slow dose protocol it would say lower it under 90 which you hit 67 the other day. But it may have been a fluke so I think it’sprobably fine if you keep the 3.25. But I would raise up that pm dose. You aren’t even getting into the blues pm.

55. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

I seriously do not understand any of this. She goes blue on a 2.75f on a pink pre-shot. And doesn't on a low yellow, on the same dose. She doesn't go blue on an LOW yellow pre-shot with the 3.25U.
    But she goes blue on a low yellow pre-shot on a 3U?!

Am I an idiot for not getting this? Is this how it's supposed to be? Why can't I count on a dose to do what it's supposed to do?
    It seems like to me, that every time I lower her dose, and expect she would be going UP she goes down?!

I btw did lower it to 3U, and she's lower than usual at +3.
    I go up to 3U at her PM shot, but she's been getting the fat 3.75.
    6.9 is 3.75, 7.5 is a straight 3, the fats I've been giving is 7.2-7.3 ish.

I am frustrated and I feel stupid. She does the opposite of what I am expecting of her. Every single time.... :banghead:

56. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Houston we have green!
    And I still don't get it.
    I'll make a new thread soon :D

JanetNJ and Pookie (GA) like this.
  57. JanetNJ

Perfect numbers. Low but not tooooo low.

58. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

And she stayed low, but not too low. Blue PMPS! Found my nuts and gave her a 2.25U even though I'd like a 2.0U better...

59. JanetNJ

hahaha yeah that's nerve wracking. I would be tempted to lower it a bit too. It's fine though as long as you can steer. I might have stalled a little while. I like to see it's going up a bit before shooting blues. GOOD LUCK !

60. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

You whaaaaaaat? Now you're making me nervous! I've shot lower than this. Usually she goes up...... I have a feeling she might not today. So after her shot, and her half hour rest I carried her to the food bowl :D
    I'm probably awake another hour so ill do a +2 and see where she's headed. And of course the usual +5.

61. JanetNJ

Haha. It’s fine. You’re on top of things. :)