Lower AMPS, not eating, no shot yet, need help pls

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lauren & Red, Jul 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

So my second dose of insulin was supposed to be 15-20 minutes ago.

AMPS is 166. He won’t eat (I think because he’s upset about the ear test). It took me several attempts again to get a sample and he wasn’t happy.

Last night was my first dose of 0.5 lantus. His PMPS was 284. I wasn’t able to test again like I planned after the insulin. I’ll link the thread about what happened last night below

2. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

3. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

@tiffmaxee is on right now and an experienced lantus user, I will tag her and see if she can help

Lauren & Red likes this.
  4. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

Haven’t been able to test for ketones yet but have the strips out ready for when he goes to the bathroom next

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

See if he will eat a couple teaspoons after he has a breather. Then test immediately so we have an amps. It takes 20-30 minutes for the food to raise the bg. It will take about 2 hours for the insulin to kick in so he doesn’t need to eat much now. You just want to make sure he will eat later when the insulin kicks in.

6. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

I think he ate a couple bites like 25 or so minutes ago when I wasn’t paying attention. I was trying to give him space if the problem was me.

So I was refilling and cleaning the water fountain. The other cat was watching me and never out of my site. When I went back by Red he was sitting on the opposite side of the room from his food. I let him be.

That was at least 25 minutes ago. I wanted to try getting him to eat again and just picked up his bowl to move it to him. A couple bites are missing and it couldn’t have been my other cat.

It’s the smallest amount, but still something. I don’t know what to do. I’m already over 45 minutes late on insulin. It was ALREADY later at night than I wanted to be doing this but it took me several hours to test and inject for the first time last night.

What now?

7. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

I messed that up I think. Please read my last post above

8. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Great BG this morning but it’s best if we can get insulin into him. I agree with Elise (@tiffmaxee).

Because he has only gotten one shot of insulin and we don’t know his ketones, I’d really like for him to get some insulin today. We can figure out the time later.

please test and let’s see where he is. Thank you!

9. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

Should I shoot now? How much? Does this mean I can’t shoot tonight until after midnight? I messed everything up from the start. I can’t be staying up all night to test at 2:00 or 3am. I need to sleep eventually. I haven’t all week and I work during the day. Luckily it’s from home mostly now. Although with this I’m falling pretty far behind.

It’s 12:15pm here. I’m so frustrated!

10. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

He’s clawing and hissing at me when I even touch his ears. I need him to go back to sleep so he doesn’t see me coming. I can give insulin. He’s fine until I get close to his ears. Should I shoot 0.25 now and test in like an hour? I really don’t want to keep pushing the shoot time back. I’m already not comfortable with how late it is

11. tiffmaxee

Don’t worry about timing right now. Test again. It’s best to give some insulin and figure timing later.

We cross posted. What would be an ideal time for you to give insulin so that you can get at least a second test before bed? While some insulin now would be best if you can shoot early in the morning and keep that time maybe it’s best to skip. @Marje and Gracie thoughts? You would then shoot tonight. I liked 6:00 so I could get night tests in.

12. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

OK but realistically I can’t stay up until 3:00 in the morning again. I’m already starting to feel like I’m getting sick from the last few nights. So as long as you’re keeping that in mind for the p.m. shot and you think it’s OK I’ll shoot now. Please confirm

13. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

He won’t let me test. I’m just going to do 0.25 and test when I can. He seems fine. Is that ok?

14. tiffmaxee

When do you think would be an ideal time to give insulin knowing that you will need a test at +2 and some mid cycle tests?

15. Marje and Gracie

I hate to skip without a ketone test but it is getting really late. So I’d say skip and try to get a ketone test today and a BG some time, if you can so he gets used to it. Let’s get him eating. Also, you might want to think about an earlier shot time than 10/10 as anytime you have to stall…which will likely happen again…it’s going to put you really late. You know your schedule so just let us know.

I want to post this for others reading. We have to be really cautious about skipping shots with newly diagnosed cats that aren’t eating especially if they have any history of ketones or DKA, which Red does not. Yes, the BG can drop without food so for a new member without much data to give insulin to a non-eating cat, three things are very important to consider:

• A reduced dose perhaps a half dose would be more appropriate
    • CG must be able to test and give honey or syrup, etc if the BG drops; CG must have all supplies and a hypo kit
    • If ketones are known to be negative and there is no DKA history, skipping might be the safer path for a cat not eating but remember ketones can develop very quickly

16. Marje and Gracie

I am not comfortable advising you to give insulin if you can’t get a PS test or tests after. That is your decision but pls read my post 14.

17. tiffmaxee

Thanks Marje.

18. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

10am & 10pm would be best for insulin. Because of my lunch break and I go to bed at 12:30am. I don’t mind waking up a couple hours later on occasion

19. tiffmaxee

Ok. The before bed test will let you know if you need an alarm for later in the cycle.

Lauren & Red likes this.
  20. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

Thank you so much for the advice everyone! I decided to not shoot. That way, I can start a schedule that is much more manageable tonight.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  21. Marje and Gracie

How’s he doing tonight? Any PMPS?

22. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.