Lily's Acro test result: 381

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Lily's mom Ellen, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Lily's mom Ellen

Lily's mom Ellen Member

We suspected this with the physical signs, but now it's confirmed at 381.
    What's next?
    My vet doesn't have much experience with acromegaly so she's wants to refer us to an internist. Cost is a major consideration. I've read all the stickies, but wonder what costs in the US are running for drugs and how effective they are.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Neko was my vets first acro. I learned from here and my own research what to do. If costs are a factor, then your two choices are to treat with the appropriate amount of insulin to keep her below renal threshold as much as possible or treat and manage the diabetes as above. Most treatments are expensive, but there is a medication called cabergoline that has helped many kitties by reducing the amount of growth hormone output. This post has a discussion and some stories from people who used it. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...ble-treatment-for-acrocats-discussion.184012/

I went to an internist as part of treatment (radiation therapy) but not for general help until Neko became much more complicated with several secondary conditions.

I do have to comment on your spreadsheet as you say you are following TR for dosing. You really do need to get a test before each and every shot to make sure it is safe to give insulin. There are many night where you have no tests after PMPS. Many cats go lower at night, it is very important to get a night cycle test too, maybe one just before bed. You especially must test more if you want to try cabergoline, as dose needs can change quickly.

3. Lily's mom Ellen

Lily's mom Ellen Member

Thanks, Wendy.
    I know I need to be better at PM testing and not miss AMPS. I am often asleep quite early, but will make a renewed effort at keeping both of those straight. I'm still going to slip up sometimes, but I am trying. Thanks for the reminder.

I'll read the thread you shared.

Thank you!

4. Erin and Moe (GA)

Erin and Moe (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Ellen. Moe was DX acro on 6/1. We started cabergoline on 6/13. I have added a tab to his spreadsheet to track his trial if you want take a look. Not much info yet, since it’s only been a week.

Moe is my vet’s first acro-cat, so we are learning together. She recommended SRT but it’s about $8000 here in southeast Texas. She was willing to prescribe caber (even though she had heard it was useless). He’s getting a 70 microgram capsule, compounded at a pharmacy in Houston. It was $129 + shipping for 30 pills.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  5. Lily's mom Ellen

Lily's mom Ellen Member

Thanks, Erin. I hope Moe responds to it. When I needed a drug made up for my dog, I found some compound pharmacies charge a lot more than others. I ended up having it shipped to CA from New Jersey, even though there's a pharm. <1 mile away.
    Best of luck to you and Moe!