Lantus shortage in Canada - FYI

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jan D & Squeaky, May 19, 2021.

1. Jan D & Squeaky

Jan D & Squeaky Well-Known Member

Hi I just got this message from Marks Marine:

Current lantus vial and solostar shortage. Basaglar is viable solution.
    IMPORTANT UPDATE: Currently in Canada we are limited to the amount Lantus that is available
    Unfortunately Lantus is in extremely short supply in Canada. It is sporadically available, but when it is distributors are restricting supplies to Pharmacies (if we order 100 we will get 6).

Thankfully there is a direct alternative; Basaglar.

Lantus extended their rights for a patent, and continues to hold "brand status" and fought to try to stop generics from entering the marketplace for their "glargine" molecule. Basaglar a biosimilar with the exact same molecule, Glargine, as the active ingredient, has been given FDA approval but instead of being called a generic, they are considered a brand name medication.

Cost difference;
    Lantus costs $11 per ml (10ml vials $111, 5 x 3ml = 15ml pens $165)
    Basaglar costs $9.33 per ml but only available in pens (5 x 3 ml = 15ml $139.99)

Pens can be used like vials, by inserting the syringe into the pen and drawing out the medication.

Two options;
    1. Wait for Lantus
    2. We can change the order to Basaglar
    Let us know how to proceed.

Yuka and Qoo likes this.
  2. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh, this is scary. A lot of people rely on the Lantus in Canada. I wonder if it effects the Lantus I get here in my hometown in Florida, USA. Do you have a good supply of Lantus, Jan?

Jan D & Squeaky likes this.
  3. Dora the Explorer

Dora the Explorer Member

Wow. I just placed my first order through them so have five pens ready to go. This happens with my dog’s heart meds, vetmedin, as well. Scary when you can’t get it, I’m always afraid to rock the boat with a substitute. I wonder how long this will last? The vetmedin has been on and off for a couple of years now.

4. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

Jan, do you know why the Lantus is becoming difficult to find?

5. Jan D & Squeaky

Thanks Summer, yes they emailed me about a month ago suggesting ordering before the temperatures got hot. I still have 3 pens but I ordered another 5 anyway. Squeaky's dose was so high.... just in case.

If anyone is in Colorado and needs some during the summer, I'm sure I could spare a pen or two.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
    Dyana likes this.
  6. Jan D & Squeaky

Just what it says in the letter. Seems to be something about the regulatory agencies.

7. Jan D & Squeaky

Yes it always seems wise to have on hand an extra supply of our pets -- and our own -- medications......

8. Margaret (and Pearl)

Margaret (and Pearl) Well-Known Member

How stressful! I am so thankful I thought to order Pearl another 5 pens a month or so ago (before it got real hot here on the East Coast). We are experiencing a food shortage of the only food she will eat, and now, Lantus! What next?!

9. Kathy and tiger

Kathy and tiger Well-Known Member

Thank you for the heads up! I just ordered a backup!

10. Lisa & Oberon

Lisa & Oberon Well-Known Member

Is there any indication of how long this is expected to last? I have enough to get me through September or so (4 pens; I'm using about a pen a month); maybe I'll just wait this out.

11. Jan D & Squeaky

This is what they said in the letter:
    If budget allows, best thing you can do is order enough to last until October! We can help extend your prescription to ensure you have enough refills to do so.

Lisa & Oberon likes this.
  12. Lisa & Oberon

Lisa & Oberon Well-Known Member

Just placed an order; we'll see how it goes.

13. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

14. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

15. Susan & Claudio

Susan & Claudio Member

I got the same email about 1 week after I received my last order. Since I got a year's worth of Lantus, I ignored it.

16. Jan D & Squeaky

As I mentioned, it was an email from Marks Marine Pharmacy.

17. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

What I see here is that they avoided the shortage: https://www.drugshortagescanada.ca/shortage/138648. it says that it is resolved. Comment from the company mentions the following: Transportation delay - The transportation delay is due to the strike at the Montreal Port. Availability dates at individual distributor warehouses may vary. Pharmacies are invited to communicate with their preferred distributor to obtain the product availability date.

18. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

Maybe this is because there was a strike at the port in Montreal (but Parliament voted a special law to put an end to the strike). I have looked on health Canada website and there is no report indicating that there will be a shortage. It says that a shortage was avoided. Anyway - better be safe than sorry!

19. Jan D & Squeaky

Huh! How strange. Well I just passed along what they said. Sounds like you have done some investigation! Sometimes it's hard to know what's really going on. I encourage people to investigate and/or take precautions!

Dyana likes this.
  20. Missy & Tammy

Missy & Tammy Well-Known Member

I live in Canada too.. on the West Coast :)
    I get my Lantus from diabetesexpress.ca
    I believe it's an Ontario based company. I find prices are very reasonable for Lantus. I just ordered some cartridges 5x3ml for $112. According to their website they have stock. Shipping is free and it arrives usually within 1-2 days packed with ice.
    The pharmacist may call to confirm the order so watch for emails.

Butters & Lyla likes this.