ketone help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Barbara, Sep 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

I just tested on a new Nova Max Plus meter & got a 0.4 I can’t figure out what she should be. I tested since her BF has been high. I just increased the dose this AM & all was fine but she shot up to PMPS 305 from +10 BG 136 then she vomited brown liquid again right before eating. She vomited last night at +9 the same.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Barbara

Yes I can’t for the life of me figure her out. The vomiting is new....started last night at +9 then stopped. She’s been fine since but around +11 she started getting crazy screaming for food the vomited right before PMPS I was not expecting her to go that high when she was only 136 at +10

4. Barbara

I’m thoroughly confused.... I’m reading about PH is that the same as the reading the ketone meter is giving me?

5. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

The pH stuff is just describing some of the physiology of ketones.

For reading the meter values, at the bottom of the page:

When do ketones show up on a blood ketone meter such as the Nova Max Plus or Precision Xtra Blood & Ketone meters?

The latest published research/studies in cats indicate ketones will begin to show up at readings of 2.4 and 2.55 on a blood ketone meter:

Barbara and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  6. Barbara

Thanks!

7. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

0.4 for ketones is fine nothing to worry about. On the Nova Max (same one I have) if reading is 2.44 or higher, a vet should be notified immediately.

If I ever got a reading of 2 (which I never did) I would monitor everything extremely close. Make sure they are getting enough food in, extra subq fluids and possibly see if it's time to increase insulin (I had high dose kitty). Make sure infection could not be possible (teeth, uti, any possible bite or scratch, etc).

8. Barbara

Did you ever have any trouble with the Nova Max? The book says I should have control solution but I don’t. I ended up wasting 4 expensive strips cause I couldn’t get the thing to work. I had to call them & they told me to use a strip to put it in & out about 10 times before the meter would work which helped! It was like it wouldn’t register the strip was in there!

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

10. Olive & Paula

Sorry I was at work. I did find the Nova Max temperamental. Sometimes you just get wonky strips which are expensive enough as is.

I would put strip half way in, get a good drop of blood, push strip in to turn on. Then what worked for me was holding strip over the drop (like upside down) so the black spot on strip was directly over blood. The meter is slow to sip the blood into the port, so wait until meter starts countdown (don't remember if it beeps) before you move strip away.

I didn't have control solution either.

11. Barbara

Once I got the silly thing to recognize the strip it was ok. I think I’m calling them tomorrow to ask them to give me some sort of credit for those strips I wasted due to the meter not registering the strip was there! Thanks!

12. Olive & Paula

That's a very good idea. Maybe ask them to replace meter also. Could be meter problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.