Jenny Part 2: +4=66

Last thread

Starting Jenny's new thread. Just gave her .75 on a 185 PMPS+1 reading. Will check her again in a couple hours. Thanks!
Thanks for linking the previous thread!

I didn’t think that .75 would be enough since the PZ would not onset for a couple of hours (giving her time to climb even more) but I am glad you shot something because it helped keep her from climbing as high as she would have with a skipped shot. I know it’s nerve wracking when you are first shooting lower numbers than what you are used to seeing. But each time you can use the data gathered to help you with the next time— and you would know to give her a larger dose next time you have a similar situation.

How did you make up for the late shot last night? Did you shoot later this morning?

Good luck with the curve today. She’s making progress 🙂
 
I shot at the same time this morning, no change since the shot last night was only 1 hour late, and half dose. I hope that was ok. The curve today is interesting....very quickly went down from amps 379 to 175 to just now 66 at +4. I made sure she ate a bit afterwards, though she's not much of an afternoon eater. I'm going to test at 2, in about 50 minutes, instead of waiting until +6. I have sweet treats on hand if needed. She is active when awake, sleeping on her cat tree, mad when getting tested, pretty normal for a sunny afternoon. I'm keeping an eye on her.

Should I be doing something else?
 
also, this means a decrease tonight, right? From 1.5 to 1.25?
Yes. I would test her right now although it’s already been almost 50 minutes if I would do a 30 minute test normally if this happens again just to make sure I will test again in 30 minutes after giving a teaspoon or so of food she doesn’t have to eat a lot just a little.
 
Little snack at +2 after testing but not much. At +4 (1PM) after testing low she had about 1/4 can of FF pate. Tested again half hour later, +4.5 (1:30pm) down to 62. more treats, testing again in a minute. She has no bad symptoms.
 
I would not expect her to have any symptoms at 62 — not even on the Aloha Trak, because it’s not super low. However, if she is below 68 on the AT, you really want to stay on top of the BG by testing every 20-30 minutes until she’s above 68.
 
Then when she gets to 68 or above you still want to keep testing— although you can start to lengthen the time between tests — like from 20 to 30 minutes and then if she’s going up you can test again in an hour. Some of this is also dependent upon where you are in the cycle. If it’s earlier then you really must be vigilant.

Also, a drop below 68 on your pet meter would mean that you should give HC wet food (like Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers) and test in 20 minutes.
 
I strongly encourage you to give HC food and possibly a drop of karo syrup or honey mixed with FF Gravy Lovers of similar HC wet food until she’s above 68. And you must test frequently. You should not wait an hour.
 
Thanks Suzanne. At +5hr15min (after more high carb treats) she tested 68, and so we're giving it 45 minutes (3pm, or +6) to do the next test. I did give her some syrup, she didn't want it but I gave her a few fingers full into her mouth. So she's on the up. Hopefully at 3 she'll be in the 70's.
 
you can just rub a little bit of syrup on the gums. Sorry for italics. Anyway, what I did (because it’s not easy to get the syrup on the gums with a finger) was to take a 3 cc syringe (an oral dosing syringe for giving liquids meds or water) and I would make a mix of about 50 percent water and 50 percent karo syrup (same could be done with honey) and I would inject a small amount toward the gums just inside the cheek pocket. This was far more efficient and less messy and much better than sticking my finger in Darcy’s mouth— even though he was a sweetheart. It was nicer for him too.
 
Thanks so much Suzanne. I have the syringe, so I'll do the watered down glucose next time if necessary. I tried the HC food but she wanted nothing to do with it. She has never liked gravies, though her siblings love it. So I resorted to her favorite ex-treats which she hasn't had in almost a month. About to do +8, I'm late because life got in the way and I had to take my great-nephew home.
 
Thanks so much Suzanne. I have the syringe, so I'll do the watered down glucose next time if necessary. I tried the HC food but she wanted nothing to do with it. She has never liked gravies, though her siblings love it. So I resorted to her favorite ex-treats which she hasn't had in almost a month. About to do +8, I'm late because life got in the way and I had to take my great-nephew home.
She is picky, isn’t she!
 
Back
Top