Is it feline acne? Is it common with acro?

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Max & Lori, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Max & Lori

Max & Lori Well-Known Member

I am not exactly sure of what this is on Max’s chin? It feels like a raised smooth nodule. Is it feline acne? If so, is that common with acromegaly in cats? How is this best treated? I’ve read about not using plastic bowls. Max eats out of glass dishes all of the time with the exception of his automatic feeder during the night (which he hates). It is made out of plastic and his face touches the sides of the feeder. I guess I’m going to need to look for a different feeder.
    upload_2021-9-17_19-33-44.jpeg

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

No more common than with any other cat I've seen. Looks sore, might be time for a vet to have a look at it. I am more used to seeing acne as smaller dots and multiple of them. But it can get bigger over time.

Max & Lori likes this.
  3. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Some of my cats have had sores that look exactly like that. We use stainless steel bowls. Usually it has gone away on its own. How long has Max had this? I’d keep an eye on it and take him to the vet if it doesn’t get better. I agree that the acne usually looks like black specks on the chin.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    Max & Lori likes this.
  4. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

I would definitely get it looked at. My previous kittie had a full in staph infection on his chin…I came back to him with it after I was on vacation for a week. I don’t recall a bump in his chin before I left, but the infection was AWFUL for him and me!

Suzanne & Darcy and Max & Lori like this.
  5. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Bama had feline acne long before he had FD. His started with a dirty looking chin followed by nodules that looked similar to that. After a series of antibiotics, twice daily chin washing with shampoo vet gave me and a lot of hand-wringing, it cleared up. It returned a couple of years ago with a black specks on the chin. Different vet gave Convenia shot. I started back the twice daily chin washing and it eventually cleared up. I continue to wash his chin twice a day, first with just warm water on a cotton round followed by hydrogen peroxide on a cotton round. I don't think hydrogen peroxide by itself will clear it. Best to have vet look at it.

Suzanne & Darcy and Max & Lori like this.
  6. Suzanne & Darcy

Wow! Hearing about Staph infections concerns me. But I know you have been living at the vet lately so that is why I said keep an eye on it and asked how long he’s had it. Is it scabbed over?

Because an infection could be very dangerous for Max at this point - with his history - if he were my cat, I would try to get it seen to by a vet.

7. Max & Lori

Yes it concerns me too. I’m gonna try and get him in Monday if it doesn’t improve. Everything is closed here except the ER vet and I really can’t afford to go there unless absolutely necessary. Max has two specialty appointments coming up soon and not to mention all of the vet bills and meds I’ve paid for lately. I am cleaning it well and putting some ointment without steroid that the vet gave him before.

8. Suzanne & Darcy

Perfect! I’m glad you had something on hand that you know is safe for him! I hope it improves! Keep us posted. We love Max!

9. Max & Lori

Will do Suzanne! Thank you for caring about Max.:bighug:

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.