? Is Friskies pate medium carb?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SaraMV, May 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaraMV

SaraMV Member

I have been following the Dr Pierson carb list since January. I'm finding some contradictions between it and the Scheyderweb calculator, and I'm not sure if I'm using the calculator correctly?

Am I supposed to look at the dry matter percentage? If so, is there any other calculations I need to add? The calculator is showing that Friskies pate is medium carb instead of low carb. Friskies pate (4-5%) is all that I feed unless I need "medium carb", which then I've been feeding friskies prime filet (14%). But when comparing the dry matter of different flavors, both the pate and prime filet is showing 12%. :confused:

Last edited: May 3, 2022
  2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Generally you want to keep the carbs below 10% for diabetic cats. I have been feeding the Friskies pate flavors to all of my cats, including the diabetics for years. Anything with gravy in it, such as filets and bits, is higher in carbs and I avoid them. Though I do keep a couple cans handy in case I need them if Charlie becomes hypoglycemic. Fortunately, I never have had to use them.

I am not familiar with the Scheyderweb calculator, so I do not know how it compares to Dr. Pierson's food list. Her list is the one I have used for years since my first diabetic cat, Rascal.

SaraMV likes this.
  3. SaraMV

SaraMV Member

Thank you for answering. Do you stick to the flavors on the list? I've come across some Friskies flavors that aren't on it, and I'm not sure whether they would be considered low/medium/high.

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

My cats are picky. Usually they will eat the Turkey & Giblets, Ocean Whitefish & Tuna and Mixed Grill. If I give them anything else, they all will ignore their bowls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.