Is anyone familiar with FIV +

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Poopers and Catia, Oct 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

Hey I know this is off topic of diabetes but I was just wondering if anyone was familiar with FIV+ cats. Poopers is diabetic and FIV+ and I believe I’m seeing a symptom and the vet isn’t sure how or what to do about it. I’ve gotten a lot of help from here so I thought it’d be worth a try!

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

A symptom of what? What are you seeing?

Also, your spreadsheet says you're doing Tight Regulation. On TR, we don't hold a dose longer than 6 cycles if it's not getting them down to where we want them. By holding the dose too long, it can allow some glucose toxicity to set in which makes it harder to break through that toxicity and get the BG down.

3. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

His skin has been having a lot of scabs lately, the vet gave him some pills and they haven’t gone away.
    Also, sometimes I get confused with TR and the SLGS I believe that’s the other one. I have to do some more reading, would you suggest i move up to 1.25u?

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You're not testing quite enough for TR....it requires at least 4 tests per day. The 2 pre-shots and at least 1 mid-cycle on the AM cycle and at least 1 "before bed" on the PM cycle. You've mostly gotten those, but there are several days without mid-cycle's on the AM cycles or "before bed" tests on the PM cycles.

On SLGS, you'd need to do a curve after 7 days on the same dose (which is where you are now) so can you do a curve today or tomorrow? That's testing every 2 hours for 12 hours or every 3 hours for 18 hours

Here are the explanations of TR and SLGS for you to read through

Poopers and Catia likes this.
  5. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

THH & Snowcrash (GA) Member

can you post a picture of what the scabs look like? What medication was he given?

I have two FIV+ cats, though neither are diabetic; both have chronic conditions though.

6. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

These were the best pictures i could get. He was given "Clavaseptin" for it but the scabs didnt go away. I feel like the are small bumps before they are scabs when i pet him i sometimes feel little bumps and then i notice they turn into scabs and eventually fall off or something. He doesnt seem too bothered by it but i of course still want to treat it. Hope you can help. Thank you!

upload_2021-10-8_10-35-48.jpeg

Attached Files:

7. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

THH & Snowcrash (GA) Member

Any chance he has fleas?

8. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

We’re positive it’s not fleas because we have 2 other cats and 1 dog and they are all fine. Our vet is going to give something for fleas just to see if it work

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.