Interpreting vet BG curve results

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nakikki, Oct 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nakikki

Nakikki Member

I got the records from the vet, and until I can get my own testing set up this is all I've got.

6/Oct/2020
    Not currently on insulin, starting today. Has not eaten this morning,
    ad lib eater normally has t/d.
    Objective:
    Laboratory: pre insulin BG 8am 28.3 Treatment: 0.04ml glargine sc at 8:30am
    10am = 32.3
    12pm = 28.6
    2pm = 23.4
    4pm = 22.2
    Plan:
    WC discharge. Teach drawing meds from vial, s/c inj.
    Discussed hypoglyceamia, recheck asap if possible, if not able to, give honey on gum
    until able to bring him in.
    Discussed diet, best to keep everything consistant, if possible on special diabetic
    control diet but not always possible. If cat refuse M/D, consider R/C diabetic, or look for
    diet that have equvilent to protein%,fat%,carbohydrate%.
    Glargine 0.04ml starts tonight.
    Recheck in 2 weeks,BG curve, spot BG, or free style libre monitor.

I know this isn't going to be super accurate, so I'm more checking if anyone can see anything that needs to be addressed or any red flags?

On the 4 unit dosage, he seemed to have progressively fading energy levels and wasn't ok. They advised to half to 2 units if he showed signs of hypoglycemia or didn't eat, and to bring him in. However, I put it down to stress at the time, so he wasn't brought in for a test when he seemed ill.

I currently have him on a 1 unit dose twice daily and have advised the vet office of that this morning (I may get an annoyed call from him later when he finds out). I'm trying to get him ok with home BG tests with no success yet. Also still learning how to use the SS.

Edit: Adding link to my previous thread "New member 10/10/20- Please help- Possible to go off insulin in very early stages?" for easier tracking

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    Reason for edit: Linking previous thread for tracking my case
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I will leave the particulars to the big minds here but your spread sheet looks perfect.
    Hey Nick? Truth told...I wouldnt know how to use it either. :oops:

Nakikki likes this.
  3. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey there! I left a message on your old thread because I somehow missed this one. Am I right in thinking that the midday reading on Oct 12 is a home-test?

4. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Couple of thoughts (not much, it's just one number and we don't want to over-interpret!):

-- that midday number is quite a bit lower than the vet office numbers, even on much less insulin! Some of that is (assuming it's a home test) using a human rather than a pet meter, but still, I think it's a hopeful sign that you're on the right track using less insulin. If he really needed 4+ units, several days of skipped shots and 1U would have him up in red/black numbers like you saw at the vet.

-- I see in the notes that he hadn't eaten for a couple hours before that test. That's good to know, but just to clarify something, you only really need to keep a 2hr food-free window before the pre-shot tests, the rest of the day he can eat as usual. It's just at those pre-shots where you have to make a safety decision about shooting that you need to make sure it's free of food influence.

Hope you guys are doing well, please update when you can!

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Nick,

Great job getting the spreadsheet going. :)

From your previous thread, IIRC Bruce's diet has been changed to the lower carb Hill's m/d Feline Dry from the previous higher carb t/d dry diet. It would be really helpful if you could put some notes into the spreadsheet remarks to let members know when the food was changed so that they'll be able to better interpret the BG readings.

Mogs

6. Nakikki

Nakikki Member

Thanks! I'll go over the spreadsheet today.

Yeah that was a home test. Good to know I'm on the right track with dosage. My vet office hasn't contacted me to yell at me, so we'll see how that goes haha.
    It was just a coincidence that he hadn't eaten for a couple of hours prior, but I figured I might as well note it down. My strategy at the moment is to take a reading while my support worker is here so I have some help. That way both Bruce and I can get used to it a bit before I go back to attempting it on my own again. One random number at 3pm isn't great but it's a starting point while we adjust.

Also as a side note, I got the aquarium gravel for his litter box and it works a treat! He's completely fine with it. Because I had to wash it first, I think it might not have dried properly and maybe diluted it a bit, but after more time developing I could at least see that ketones sat at negative and eventually bumped up to 'traces' after over-developing, so at least it got a sample. Will be able to get a completely dry lot in today. I'll keep chipping away at perfecting that.

Bruce is doing well. He's very happy. Up and about and yelling at me for attention and cuddles, lol. Best I've seen him in a while.

7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

No such thing as bad data! :D

This made me smile. :smuggrin:

Lovely to hear. :cat:

(((Bruce)))

Mogs

Nakikki likes this.
  8. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Great job Nick! :bighug:

Nan & Amber (GA) and Nakikki like this.