Increasing only one dose?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by catlady94, May 10, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catlady94

catlady94 Member

My cat has been on 1 unit of Lantus for a week and a half. His lowest reading has been in the upper 200s about 3-4 hours after his shot. I use the Alpha Trak. Obviously he needs an increase. My vet wants me to increase his dose by 1/2 unit but only in the PM… Is increasing one dose common? It seems it makes more sense to increase both doses?

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Vets often suggest larger increases and don’t realize increases of .25 work. Does your cat have lower bg at night? That’s very common and why some vets say increase at night only. We dint recommend that as lantus likes consistency.

We ask that everyone post an introduction on the main/health forum and get set up with a spreadsheet and signature before posting here. We are very data based and would need a lot more information to advise you.

3. catlady94

catlady94 Member

I have my spreadsheet! It’s on my work computer! I will add it as soon as I can. I’m on my phone now!
    His number AMPS & PMPS is very close. Usually 400-415.

4. catlady94

catlady94 Member

Is there a post that says what to include in your signature?

5. tiffmaxee

Great but we need to set up with our spreadsheet and a signature. We have a google spreadsheet. Dosing also depends upon what you are feeding. For example diet matters. You can see what’s in my signature.

I just wanted you to know we don’t believe in different doses day and night.

6. catlady94

catlady94 Member

okay I think I did it right lol. Signature updated. He’s on low carb diet. He’s eaten only dry his whole life. I’ve tried every wet food on the market and the only low carb he likes is the actual Purina DM. Waiting on dr elsey wet samples to come in since he’s eating the dry.

7. tiffmaxee

You are fast! Thank you. I was just about to give you links. Let me take a look and I will be back.

8. tiffmaxee

9. catlady94

catlady94 Member

Okay does it work now? Lol

10. tiffmaxee

Yes. You need to get a minimum of one test at amps and pmps before every shot. Heterodox could be bouncing from going lower at any point but we don’t have enough information to know that. When the bg drops lower than the cat is used to he will bounce and give you higher numbers. That can also happen if his bg drops too fast. Lantus is dosed based upon how low it takes your cat. Did you fill in the ss with all tests?

11. catlady94

catlady94 Member

Yes that’s the only testing I’ve done. He’s very hard to test. My vet said to focus more on getting him adjusted to the shots before I test frequently. She knew he wouldn’t drop too low on just 1 unit since he’s never been under 200 at any given time.

12. catlady94

catlady94 Member

It takes two people to test him right now and I’m alone in the AM. I’m hoping he slowly gets used to it and accepts it.

13. tiffmaxee

That’s not necessarily true. My cat who was 14.5 pounds was started on 1.0 and dropped under 100 very early on. Too much insulin can look like too little.

Are you testing his ear or paw pad? Do you give a 100% protein freeze dried treat after every poke? You might want to ask your vet about using a Libre for a couple weeks as you both get comfortable with testing.

Post an intro on main. There you will get testing tips. Link this condo. Until there are some night tests I would be hesitant to increase. If you do increase please no more than .25 every cycle. Do you have syringes with half unit markings?

14. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome to FDMB.
    This post has the details:
    New? How You Can Help Us Help You!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.