I’m new here!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lacimae11, Jul 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

Hi all,

I am currently sitting at the ER vet after a scare of DKA. vet thinks she does not have it, getting blood test now to rule out ketones. Will work on the spreadsheet when I get home. here is some information about Kahlua:
    Kahlua, Sphynx , 6 y/o, Diagnosed approx 2018, Vetsulin 4U 2x per day, Using AlphaTrak 2 meter, Diet is SmallBatch Raw Turkey Patties. 4-5 per day. Small handfulls of low carb dry food throughout day. Asthma - takes cerenia and/or fluticasone inhaler to reduce coughing.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Laci! So glad to see you over here from the FB group! Kahlua has sure had one heck of a day and I know you have too! Hopefully they won't find any ketones!

You might also want to ask them for a script for ondansetron (brand name Zofran). It's a human drug for people going through chemotherapy and is better for nausea. Cerenia is good too but it's more for actual vomiting.

Cerenia is for vomiting, not asthma.

Which kind of low carb kibble?

I know you have concerns about Kahlua's treatment for the past 4 years and you're right to be concerned. Vetsulin isn't a very good insulin for cats and even if she was on a great insulin, if it's not dosed correctly, it's not going to work it's best and even if it IS dosed correctly, not every insulin works in every cat so after about 6 months of trying, if you're still getting lousy results, it's probably time to try something else!

Glargine (Brand names Lantus, Basaglar, Semglee) has the most research proving it's effectiveness in cats so that's what I'd try for. Other insulins that work well in cats are ProZinc (a veterinary insulin) or Levemir (human).

It is pricey though which is one of the reasons a lot of us get it from a pharmacy in Canada where it's 1/3 to 1/2 the price compared to the US. A 5 pack of pens is 1500 units which is enough to last most cats at least a year and some up to 2 years.

Sending prayers for Kahlua in hopes she's not producing ketones and can come home soon!

lacimae11 and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
  3. Rebecca & Max (GA)

Rebecca & Max (GA) Member

Just wanted to pop on and say hello here too! I’m more active on the FB page (as Becky) since we lost Max last year to renal failure. But this forum was key into me helping him reach remission.

lacimae11 likes this.
  4. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

THH & Snowcrash (GA) Member

Hi there, also from facebook! Happy to see you here :)

Cerenia can be used for asthma, though why it helps isn't well-understood.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
    lacimae11 and Chris & China (GA) like this.
  5. Chris & China (GA)

Learn something new every day!! Thanks @THH & Snowcrash (GA) !

THH & Snowcrash (GA) likes this.
  6. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

Hey guys!
    Thanks for your welcome.

yes cerenia is a newer treatment for asthma but they aren’t sure why it works. This has been helpful for Kahlua when her inhaler doesn’t arrive/is not helpful

7. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

i am concerned about her lack of progress on Vetsulin. I will look into getting a script for lantus. She is eating N&D ocean fish kibble and gets only a small amount per day when she is screaming at me and has already had her raw food.

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Laci and Kahlua
    This was from one of our members whose cat was on lantus which is very expensive in the US
    Basaglar has worked wonderfully, we were using Lantus and when we switched there wasn't even a blip. Hendrick did not seem to notice at all.

Check this out also
    https://www.goodrx.com/insulin-glargine?dosage=five-3ml-prefilled-pens-of-100-units-ml&form=carton&label_override=insulin glargine&quantity=1
    The 5 pens will last about a year

Basaglar is also Insulin Glargine, it acts the same way.

Here is a saving card for basaglar for 5 pens
    Check it out just put in where it says set your location
    https://www.goodrx.com/basaglar

I see some members will call CVS, Rite Aid, Costco to get the price for 5 pens
    If you switch you will need U-100 syringes with half unit markings
    We use the syringes with pens because with the pens you can only change the dose by full units so we use syringes with half unit markings
    You just stick the syringe in the rubber stopper on the pen and draw out the insulin from there
    Call some supermarket pharmacy's too

If the Alpha Trak strips become too expensive for you most of us use human meter ,the text strips are so much cheaper ,if you live in the US. Our numbers are based on human meters anyway
    In case you ever want to switch and have a Walmart by you or you can order them on line
    You can buy The Relion Premier Classic for 9 dollars
    17.88 for 100 tests strips

THH & Snowcrash (GA) likes this.
  9. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

Thank you for this info! It looks like for 5 pens is about 250. I spend 70$ each month for Vetsulin so it would even out. If I got the basaglar, would the same Lantis script work?

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  10. Chris & China (GA)

Yes, it's a bio-similar and most vets write the scripts as "substitution permitted".

That's too high in carbs. She'd do better getting more of her raw if she's hungry. You can also get auto-feeders like the Cat Mate 500 that comes with ice packs. You can program it to open up to 5 times and offer a fresh meal (great for those middle of night snacks!) and then you want it to rotate to an empty space at least 2 hours before shot time so that when you do your Pre-shot test, it's not influenced by food.

Which raw is she on? Believe it or not, there are some out there that are full of fruits and veggies that cat's don't need.

As for syringes, if you have a Walmart near you, you can get U100, 3/10ml, 30 or 31 gauge insulin syringes (the 3/10ml syringes ALL have half unit marks no matter what they might tell you). They should hold a maximum of 30 units. Either one of these is fine (and can be 30 gauge or 31) They are $12.58/100
    upload_2022-7-12_20-33-38.jpeg

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  12. Diane Tyler's Mom

You're welcome :cat:

13. Chris & China (GA)

One day at a time is about all I can handle right now but still chugging along!

14. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

Hendrick Cuddleclaw Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the group. So Kahlua was diagnosed with FD when she was just 2? That may be the youngest I've ever heard, so sorry that this happened. I am not one of the experts but from my own personal experience, Lantus or Basaglar and following the Tight Regulation dosing method is the way to go. I had great success with it, and so far this year there have been 17 cats here at the FDMB that have gone into diabetic remission following TR, dosing Lantus/biosimilars, and getting expert daily guidance from the FDMB gurus.

15. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum.
    Ask lots of questions! We are happy to help.

16. Diane Tyler's Mom

That would be great if you can set up a spreadsheet so we can follow along and see how the vetsulin is working especially if you switch to generic lantus .
    I'm sure if you ask Chris she would be happy to do it for you , we also have another member who will be happy to set it up for you also. Just ask :cat:

17. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

Hi there. yes she was diagnosed shortly after she was given steroids to treat her asthma. It’s been a horrible ride so far……

18. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

she is eating SmallBatch Raw Turkey. Thanks for the info about the syringes…I was wondering if I could get them from a regular store!

19. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

Hi all, finally got the Lantus script.
    advice on best place to get it? GoodRX says I can’t order if it’s for a pet. I’ll admit, I’m feeling a little overwhelmed.

20. Diane Tyler's Mom

A lot of people order from Canada , it's much cheaper they are very nice people
    Call them and tell them you want the price for glargine or basaglar 5 pens
    https://canshipmeds.com/medication/lantus/

I see some members will call CVS, Rite Aid, Costco, Walgreen's, to get the price for 5 pens

You will need U-100 syringes with half unit markings for lantus , just insert the syringe into the pen and draw out the insulin.
    13.47 for a box of 100 Here is the link to buy them from
    If they say you need a script from you vet they will call the vet to fax it over 'ask for refills and give your vets office a heads up . I know that some member didn't need a script at all ,I did I live in N.J. So I guess it depends on where you live

https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product/1316/surecomfort-u100-syringes-half-unit-31g-3-10cc-5-16in-100ct

One members posted this
    I get the generic version of Semglee which is simply called "Insulin Glargine". It's a biosimilar to Lantus. I paid $175 for a box of 5 pens at Walmart pharmacy, but GoodRX coupon says you can get it for around $90 if you have a Rite Aid pharmacy near you

21. Diane Tyler's Mom

You really should set up our spreadsheet so you can track your cats BG. We need to see this so the members can give you advice about the dose to see how the vetsulin has been working , then if you switch to generic lantus they can tell you what dose to start with
    See if you can set it up ,if not I can ask Chris to set it up for you
    How is Kahula doing ?
    Do you have all the BG numbers so you can fill in the spreadsheet?

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-create-a-spreadsheet.241706/

As Chris said in post #10

As for syringes, if you have a Walmart near you, you can get U100, 3/10ml, 30 or 31 gauge insulin syringes (the 3/10ml syringes ALL have half unit marks no matter what they might tell you). They should hold a maximum of 30 units. Either one of these is fine (and can be 30 gauge or 31) They are $12.58/100

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
  22. Diane Tyler's Mom

Only Walmart would have the U-100 syringes with half unit markings Chris posted the pic of the boxes above. You have to go into the store to buy them

Open the box and make sure they look like the ones on the left

[​IMG]

23. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

In GoodRx select the generic glargine, not Lantus. See:
    glargine Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 3.49.46 PM.png

24. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

Yes that is what I feed but it is the cat version

25. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

Is this for 5 pens?

26. Diane Tyler's Mom

So what is the cat version ,is it the same ingredients

27. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

97% humanely raised and harvested turkey, 1% organic produce, 2% natural supplements
    turkey, turkey necks, turkey livers, turkey hearts, turkey gizzards, salmon oil, organic dandelion greens, organic apple cider vinegar, organic kelp*, organic bee pollen, organic barley grass, organic cranberries, vitamin e supplement

she also doesn’t even want to eat this….

28. Diane Tyler's Mom

Yes it's for 5 pens look up top where it says carton

29. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

Ok yes I showed them the GoodRX for 71$ for 5 and rite aid said that’s not going to work?? I’ll call around

30. Diane Tyler's Mom

This is it right
    [​IMG]

97% humanely raised and harvested turkey, 1% organic produce, 2% natural supplements
    turkey, turkey necks, turkey livers, turkey hearts, turkey gizzards, salmon oil, organic dandelion greens, organic apple cider vinegar, organic kelp*, organic bee pollen, organic barley grass, organic cranberries, vitamin e supplement

31. Diane Tyler's Mom

Is there a specific reason you feed this to her

32. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

Yes

33. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

She has eaten it her whole life so I just kept it the same. We tried a few other things but never helped her numbers. She just recently decided she doesn’t like it.

34. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

Yes I have a spreadsheet. I am working on getting better at doing tests throughout the day. I haven’t been able to as I’m always at work. But I am working on it this weekend. Where do I upload it here? It says I don’t have permission to upload a file.

35. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

Kahlua is doing fine. No changes as of recently. Numbers are consistently too high. Spreadsheet is as updated as I possibly can get it right now.

36. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

37. Diane Tyler's Mom

You need to link it to your signature do you see mine says Tyler's spreadsheet under my signature
    I understand you work what are your shooting times
    Can you at least get another test in before you leave for work and when you get home even if it's @+7 , +8 or +9?
    You definitely need to get at least one test in after your PMPS ,cats usually drop lower at night
    You are only seeing half the picture
    That 183 you got at PMPS on 7-24 you should have gotten another test ,Kahlua could have dropped lower
    A test before you go to sleep?
    The more the better , without more testing I don't think the experienced members here will be able to suggest a dose . There isn't enough to go by.Try and get some in tonight :cat:
    You do know to feed and wait 30 minutes then give the insulin
    I see you are feeding low carb dry food throughout the day ,what is it?

Any luck with getting the insulin
    @lacimae11

38. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Wendy&Neko

@Bron and Sheba (GA)

@tiffmaxee

@Suzanne & Darcy

Ladies do you think this raw food is ok to feed her cat

39. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

Yes I wait to give her a shot after she eats. I have been checking throughout the day today. I will add the link to the spreadsheet. I am using the format from you guys!

40. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I feed one of mine Small Batch. She’s not diabetic but it is low carb.

41. Diane Tyler's Mom

42. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

Hey all.

Found this option which is what my prescription is actually listed as.
    https://m.goodrx.com/basaglar

is this realistic/normal? Did I find the right thing? I’m so confused!!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  43. Diane Tyler's Mom

Basaglar is fine to use
    You need to link your spreadsheet to your signature do you see mine says Tyler's spreadsheet under my signature members are not going to see where you put the link for your spreadsheet
    I just had to go searching for it

When you do start the Basaglar let us know , you will have to make a line on your spreadsheet
    above the date you start it and write Started Basaglar and also note it on your signature so members are aware of it

I understand you work what are your shooting times
    Can you at least get another test in before you leave for work and when you get home even if it's @+7 , +8 or +9?
    You definitely need to get at least one test in after your PMPS ,cats usually drop lower at night
    You are only seeing half the picture
    That 183 you got at PMPS on 7-24 you should have gotten another test ,Kahlua could have dropped lower
    A test before you go to sleep?
    The more the better , without more testing I don't think the experienced members here will be able to suggest a dose . There isn't enough to go by.Try and get some in tonight:cat:

44. Diane Tyler's Mom

Which kibble flavor are you feeding ,I see there are many different ones
    They all look like they areway to high in carbs for a diabetic cat

As far as lc dry You can try
    Dr Elsey's chicken flavor and young again zero will send you samples just call them
    Here are some low carb dry foods ,they are about 5 or 6% carbs
    None of them are cheap
    You need to order them online
    Dr Elseys you can buy on chewey site
    https://www.chewy.com/dr-elseys-cleanprotein-chicken/dp/146269?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12791446238&utm_content=Dr. Elsey's&utm_term=&show-search=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0PvU2Zj79wIVRIdbCh3JawEkEAQYASABEgIInfD_BwE

Young again on their web site
    https://www.youngagainpetfood.com
    Take a look at the young again zero or the zero mature

Dr Elsey's also at Walmart
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dr-Elsey...ViI3ICh0suwO_EAQYAiABEgJrOPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Dr Elsey's Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FCJHDPR/ref=twister_B09GHFJY65?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

the Dr Elsey's comes in different size bags
    None of these can be bought in stores

Also
    Wysong Epigen 90

Dr Elsey's web site
    https://www.drelseys.com

Here is their web site
    https://www.wysong.net/epigen
    Call then see if they will send a sample

45. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

Thank you. I will look into those.

46. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

Her spreadsheet is in my signature.

47. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

Alright, got it all set with Lantus. But now I need help….

my roommate typically gives shot in the morning when she wakes up. She did not this morning and also didn’t check her sugars. She said Kahlua didn’t eat which is why she did not give her a shot. Now it’s noon…(shot time usually at 7:30/8am) just tested her and her bg is at 384. Do I give her a shot now? She has eaten.
    Starting Lantus tonight, so not sure how it will react if I give Vetsulin right now and then Lantus before bed time. Urggg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.