I'm back! (but doesn't look like for long) Meet Garfield!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Chris & China (GA), Dec 30, 2023.

1. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Last Wednesday, I had a "meet and greet" for a cat named Garfield. His shelter info said he's about 10, diabetic, possible asthma and possible pemphigus foliaceous (an auto-immune disease that can cause painful and itchy blisters and sores on the skin, most often on the face, scalp and trunk) for which he was put on steroids.
    He was in a foster home (who also happened to be a vet) so I drove up there to meet him in the surroundings he was used to so I'd get the best idea of how he was. He was VERY friendly from the moment we walked into his room and he walked right up to me for pets. She had told me over the phone that he was on 2U of Vetsulin BID and was well regulated, but she did NOT home test. She had occasionally run a curve but had done blood draws, not poking ears or paws, but told me if I wanted to home test him, I could (well thank you for your permission!). He was eating DM canned and kibble (mostly kibble), had all his teeth pulled (no more dentals!) and she had weaned him off the steroids and hadn't seen any signs of pemphigus or asthma since she'd had him and thinks he was probably mis-diagnosed. He was surrendered to the shelter by an older lady soon after the diabetes diagnosis.

Before I knew she was a vet, I did say I would be taking him off the kibble but then found out she was a vet so had to bite my tongue a lot to make sure I didn't cause her to refuse to let me adopt him because I wasn't going to treat him "her way".

Anyway, after meeting him and being accepted so readily, I chose to go ahead with the adoption. She had told me he weighed about 12 pounds, so I took the carrier I'd used with Cheaser but at the last minute, threw a bigger carrier in the car just in case. Good thing I did too! I haven't weighed him yet (planning on today) but he ain't no 12lbs!!

Since it had been a long day Wednesday (I had to have a mammogram and brain MRI at a hospital about 2/3rds the way to the foster mom's house) and it was a mix of rain, snow and sleet all the way home, so I decided to give him the night off from any more new things....let him settle in a little first. After circling the house several times, meowing the entire time, he ate a tiny bit of his DM canned but mostly wanted the DM kibble, so I did give him a teaspoon or 2. He ate a little and then came in the living room, jumped up on the couch and curled up next to my feet and purred himself to sleep.

He has been a very easy to get along with kitty. He's not thrilled with ear pokes, but other than being a little wiggly, he doesn't fight it either and as of Thursday, he got no more kibble. Since he didn't seem to really like the canned DM (which they sent with him...2 cases), I gave him some Friskies pates which he scarfed down.

I tested him Thursday night before giving him his 2u of Vetsulin (waiting for Lantus to get here) and his BG was 92, so no shot for him! Friday morning, BG was 104, PMBG was 96 and this morning, he was 97. It's becoming quite clear that this "diabetic" cat may no longer be diabetic! I am betting that if she was giving 2u of Vetsulin blindly, the only thing that kept him from crashing was the kibble he was eating.

So, I guess we're officially doing an OTJ trial without ever having me give any insulin! I do plan on calling the foster mom/vet and tell her how he's doing and hoping she may ask me some questions so I can start on her "re-education".

OK, you've waited long enough! Meet Garfield!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Garfield's spreadsheet

ETA: Found a couple more pictures of him. It looks like at some point in his life, he may have been in a colony since he's been ear-tipped. Hard to believe he was ever feral considering how sweet he is so not sure about why he's ear-tipped (have heard that some vets ear-tip any cat they neuter but I've never heard of it) He also has a dark nose. I keep thinking he stuck his nose into his food and let it dry there but he's just got a dark nose!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2023
  2. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Garfield!!! Love his gorgeous face, and lovely long coat, what a charmer! He couldn’t have found a better mama, looks like wishes do come true. So happy for you, Chris.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  3. Chris & China (GA)

Thanks! I was truly ready to take on another diabetic but looks like I'm not going to have to.

Trying to find my assortment of brushes and combs. I'm sure he'll love being brushed and I want to get some of the old hair off him. He has a few tiny mats in places that lots of older cats can't easily get to and don't want them getting out of control. It's too cold this time of year for a lion cut!

4. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Lol, I had a beautiful long haired calico many years ago, and she was less than impressed when I took her in for a lion cut! Hoping for successful OTJ for Garfield, although selfishly I wouldn’t mind having a kitty from your crew who can serve as a proper lagoon meister again :). Maybe Garfield needs a buddy?!:p

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

He's just gorgeous!! His face looks a lot like he's got more than a little Norwegian Forest Cat in his background. They are great cats.

I wonder if his being weaned off of the steroids has had a bit impact on his BG levels. I'm sure you're not going to be too upset if he ends up not needing insulin.

6. Snickers and Chrissy

Snickers and Chrissy Member

Omg he's adorable!! A purrrfect little kitty!

7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

He is GORGEOUS and lucky to have found you! Are you sure that woman is a vet, lol? I’m so happy for both of you!

8. Chris & China (GA)

I've had several people tell me his face looked like there was some NFC in him so I guess it must be true! I don't know the breed that well, but he sure is a fuzzy love monster!

I do have to admit though, I'm not used to all the hair in the ears when I'm trying to get a blood drop. His ears bleed easily, but some of it is getting wicked into the hair.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2023
  9. Chris & China (GA)

Unfortunately, yes. She works as a vet for the government though, not like our usual, everyday type vets. But you'd think she'd know to monitor his BG as she was tapering him off the steroids!

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  10. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

You saved another one! :bighug::)

11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Chris, Garfield is adorable! Who wouldn’t fall in love with that little face?
    What a lucky boy to have found you!
    His BGs are looking very promising with the switch off dry!

12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

What a handsome dude! Some lucky kitty just fell into the proverbial tub of butter. :woot::woot::woot: And he's telling you Vetsulin isn't a good insulin for cats. Maybe none is for him.

When you are grooming him, make sure to see if he likes wearing hats. :p

13. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Oh wow! What a Gorgeous boy. I’m really happy for you, Chris!

14. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Wow, Garfield bis absolutely gorgeous, and he's landed on all four paws.

Such great news with his BG..

:kiss:

15. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

@Chris & China (GA)
    Oh Chris Garfield is just so gorgeous!
    That face of his ,he's beautiful. He couldn't have found a better momma to take care of him .:bighug::bighug::bighug:

16. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

There is more than one way to save a cat. Well done! And may you and Garfield have many nights sharing the couch together. :bighug:
    download.jpg

17. Chris & China (GA)

Not sure about the hats yet, but I did find a "rake" comb? and started brushing him and when my arm got tired, he followed me around looking like "is that all? Only 20 minutes?"

He also has found the sparkly things hanging on the bottom of the Christmas tree and thinks they look like the best toys ever! He does know what "Garfield! No!" means...but he's still laying there waiting for me to stop watching him.

What have I got myself into?....LOL

PMBG
    [​IMG]

18. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

I always used the Kong ZoomGroom brush on my long-haired cats – they all had strong opinions about sharp combs and brushes.

19. Chris & China (GA)

I have one like that around here somewhere. I'll keep looking but he sure didn't seem to mind the rake I found. Of course as chill as he is, I think whatever I can find he'll let me use.

Red & Rover (GA) likes this.
  20. cecile & bella

cecile & bella Well-Known Member

He is beautiful! He looks like a miniature gentle lion ;)

21. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Wow, what a beauty. I noticed the ear tip right away—maybe he was a stray that the elderly woman took in, or maybe a lost cat at one time? I wish they could talk.

Love the fluffy orange ones. And it looks like maybe you found each other just in the nick of time. If the steroids triggered diabetes (they did for my Charlie), then as Sienne said, weaning off might be a big reason his BG is normalizing. Charlie did the same. I cringe at the idea of shooting 2u Vetsulin blind…(I’m also looking forward to hearing how the “re-education” process goes. Must. Provide. Updates!)

22. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

He is beautiful! I am so happy for you both. He found his angel to help him.

23. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Congratulations, Chris! He is gorgeous. What a sweet, sweet face. And how great are those BGs? He hit the jackpot with you.

Wishing you both many happy years together.

24. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

What a beautiful lovely little thing !!

25. Basic's Mom

Basic's Mom Member

Absolutely beautiful boy. Glad you found one another. He's lucky to have you.

26. Karolina KJ & Nestle

Karolina KJ & Nestle Well-Known Member

Hi Chris,
    I missed this original posting so thanks for directing me to it. He's absolutely gorgeous and so so lucky you two found each other. He's doing beautiful since you adopted him and how lucky he no longer needs insulin. Thanks for sharing the photos (although I can't seem to see all of them yet. I think something is still wrong with the website)
    I wish you both all the best and to enjoy your lives together ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Nestle, Peanut and I are sending lots of hugs and kisses your way :bighug::kiss::bighug::kiss::bighug::kiss: