? I chose the evil nuggets of Mordor. Was I wrong?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lando demando, Oct 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lando demando

Lando demando Well-Known Member

My guy Lando has a history of not eating. After a pancreatitis attack he stopped eating completely and i syringe fed him ( 4xs a day) for close to 2 wks.
    Over time he ate churus no problem but avoided any wet food ( i still have a few brands to try).
    The upside was that his numbers were in the low 100s

fast forward to a few days ago. I decided to give dr elseys dry a try since i could not assist feed forever.
    He is eating close to half normal amounts and looks forward to food now. I only assist feed 2xs a day with LC weruva.
    The downside is that he just had an AMPS of 166 ( highest in a long time)

i made the choice of eating over numbers it appears :( did i make a bad call?

I choked when it came time to cast that evil ring of dry food into the fires.

2. Ann & Sister

Ann & Sister Member

I have had Sister on Dr. Elsley's dry for about 2 months now. Her numbers are staying in the blues and greens.
    She has not had insulin since Sept 11.
    I do feed Sheba pate, but she eats very little of it, tries to bury it, so Kaylaya finishes it each day.
    Hugs,

Lando demando likes this.
  3. Lando demando

OK! So good to know for context Ann! Hooray for Sister ( looks like she could be Lando,s sister ;) ). Perhaps its just that he is finally eating the amount of calories he needs in a day. I will go back to practicing patience! Thanks again for sharing and well wishes to you both

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If the dry food is low carb, you're fine. There are some foods, like Dr. Elsey's or Weruva or Young Again that are low carb. You might want to see if Lando would eat something like ZiwiPeak air dried food. It's not kibble -- it's air dried and more of a jerky-type of consistency.

Did your vet prescribe an appetite stimulant for Lando? Many cat's with a bout of pancreatitis need pain meds, anti-nausea meds, and an appetite stimulant to get past the episode.

Lando demando likes this.
  5. Lando demando

Thanks Sienne! Yes Lando is eating Dr Elseys. Frankly his appetite is better than its ever been right now ( but hes also urinating a bit more… so could be diabetes symptom?
    Anyhow, the ZiwiPeak sounds good! I will try that as well. I hate how it sounds like lando is eating rocks with Dr E’s ;)

for meds, Lando was on Miritaz, Cerenia, then Ondansetron and Bup for pain. Right now, i am only doing Pepcid at night ( since he would vomit bile at 4 am or so ( its working nicely). Frankly none of the drugs seemed to budge him with appetite. My best guess is that it was a food aversion and i will be trying NEW wet foods as an introduction slowly.

thanks again for all your advice. His AMPS was finally a bit lower today so that felt good.

Sienne and Gabby (GA) likes this.
  6. Lando demando

Ann, i have to tell you, Lando likes Sheba now ( he is an extremely picky eater)! I picked some up because Sister had the sheeba+Dr E diet, so i thought i would try it with Lando. He may change his mind and never touch it again ( which happens now and then). But thanks for the mention. Sending well wishes to sister and yourself

Ann & Sister likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.