Hypoglycemia followed by hyperglycemia

E-KC

Member Since 2026
Bitty had hypo's yesterday and today. Tonight's PMPS is high and I'm wondering how much insulin to give. Normal dose Vetsulin 0.75 20-30 min after meal.
Tonight I can give 0.25 or 0.5. What do you think? Because it was getting late I gave 0.25U
The spreadsheet +times. are correct yesterday and today. All other days are within the +1h, +2h, +3h. I need to go back and fix those.
The insulin vial we started in April. It's been refrigerated and I've continued using it because it doesn't appear to have lost it's effectiveness. We are almost out. I'm thinking of switching to Lantus. The vet has approved it.
Thanks, Eileen
Bitty's Spreadsheet
 
Last edited:
Hi Eileen
According to the SS you are following SLGS but you are not reducing the dose when the BG drops below 90 which you need to be doing if following SLGS. Otherwise you are risking the BGs dropping too low.
So I would reduce the dose to 0.5 units from the next dose.
If you are almost out of the Vetsulin, I would recommend you swap to the Lantus insulin. It is a much better insulin for cats. Post when you are ready to do the swap and we will help you with the starting dose.
Are you feeding snacks during the day as well as the 2 main meals.
 
@Bron and Sheba (GA) I am feeding snacks. A small amount of Fancy Feast 1/4 can (0.75 oz). Sometimes cooked chicken. I've given Temptation Treats during this hypo when he wouldn't take wet food. How many can he have as a snack? He loves to chase them and catch them mid air.

This morning is 377. Daily dose is 0.75 but over 350 is 1u. Should I give full dose or less because of the hypos? I gave 0.25 and monitored throughout the day. Lowest was 164. I tried to understand "reductions" but it wasn't clear to me. I'll try to find the info again.
PMPS 346. Giving the 0.5u you suggested last night.
 
Last edited:
I read Libby’s guide on Lantus. She says you need to test for ketones regularly. I’ve never done that and have no idea how. I rarely see Bitty pee. Can you do ketones from blood? He is quite good about his glucose checks.

I think I drew my last Vetsulin dose tonight. Maybe I should get another vial of it while I’m trying to get all the other supplies:U100 syringes, ketone strips (and maybe a meter?!).
I‘ll have to order the Lantus. Vet said to get it at the Chewy pharmacy. (?)
May be able to overnight it.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top