? How much to feed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kitty mom, Jul 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

I’ve had cats for over 30 years and feeding has never been anything I gave much thought to until my two cats because diabetic.
    Now that my remaining cat has been in remission for a long while and I feed the FF pate and some kibble I don’t think about it much.
    Well my boy can no longer eat the YA zero carb and I don’t plan on giving another kibble so I need to adjust his FF amount.
    For a 13 year old cat how many cans should he get a day. I’m reading many different amounts. How many calories does he need? If it’s 300 calories that’s over 3 cans of FF a day. How much food is enough for a lazy 13 year old?

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

It depends more on weight than age. The rule thumb is about 20 calories per pound of ideal weight. How much does your cat weigh?

3. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

15lbs so 300 calories ,
    Thanks

JanetNJ likes this.
  4. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

Realized that’s over 3 cans of FF a day., seems to be a lot but I don’t mind.
    Does that sound right?

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

It's not a lot. Those cans are small. That's only one and a half cans of Friskies.

Id do 3 cans and a few snacks here and there and see if he seems satisfied. Or if it's too much cut back.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  6. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

Okay thanks.
    The no kibble is throwing me off .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.