How long does food affect glucose numbers

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Susan Shropshire, Oct 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susan Shropshire

Susan Shropshire Member

Wondering if anyone knows how long a higher carb food and/or treat affects glucose numbers. I know they say to not feed 2 hours before doing checks, but I am sure that is for a low-carb food.

I try really hard to not let Leo get into the other cat's food, but every once in a while he gets sneaky, or I get side-tracked for a minute, and he sneaks a couple of bites. It's usually only a bite or two but the food is 28% carbs.

I wonder if he gets a couple of bites, how long would that affect his glucose numbers going up?

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

In my experience about three hours. Your best plan is to have all your cats in a diet under 10 carb so you don't have to worry about it, and so your other cats have less chance of developing diabetes.

3. Susan Shropshire

Susan Shropshire Member

Great! Thanks.
    Ideally I would feed all of our kitties wet food, but economically it would be really expensive. After speaking with my vet, he suggests they all eat a grain free, high-quality diet. Leo is on a wet food diet of Purina Organic Chicken, and it's high quality almost no-carb. I have opted to go with Purina Beyond Simply dry food for the rest. It's high-quality ingredients, and it's grain free with no wheat, soy free no by-products & no preservatives. Then they get a little fancy feast in the AM & PM. So I guess it's a hybrid wet/dry diet. The high-quality dry food is still not cheap, but it's less expensive than feeding them high-quality wet food.

4. JanetNJ

Purina beyond is about 29% carb. No grain doesn't mean low carb. They substitute the grain with potatoes or peas or carrots.

Most here feed fancy feast classic or Friskies pate foods. All flavors are low carb.

5. Susan Shropshire

Susan Shropshire Member

That isn’t what I feed Leo. Leo eats only wet food. He eats Purina Organic and the company said it’s .9% carbs. The other 6 eat fancy feast & Purina Beyond Simply.
    Leo only gets wet food and freeze dried treats.

JanetNJ likes this.
  6. JanetNJ

I hear ya. I'm glad to hear the others get wet food too. I just wanted to mention it because some people think no grain means low carb. You may want to limit how much of the high carb the others get so you reduce the chances they develop diabetes as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.