GA How do you know when it's over?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sweet Pea's Mom, Dec 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sweet Pea's Mom

Sweet Pea's Mom New Member

I have a newly diagnosed 16 1/2 year old kitty who is not doing well. We found out 6 days ago and she's not been the same since. She was in kitty ICU for two days and since she's come home four days ago she's hardly been eating or drinking, she hasn't pooped, and she's only made it to the litter box once to pee. At one point I even found her half laying in a puddle of her own urine. She just has this look like she's given up. So I guess my question is how do you know when it's over? At what point does quality of life win over quantity? While I know her diagnosis is still new, she's not young and she's very frail. She's my baby and I love her so much, but if she has no hope of a decent recovery, I don't want to prolong her suffering. I have an appointment tomorrow morning with her vet to check her out.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2016
    Reason for edit: Added the GA prefix to honor Sweet Pea as she has "gone ahead". Fly free little one.
  2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear that Sweet Pea is not doing well. Can you tell us what precipitated her stay in ICU, and what her vet's diagnosis was? Did he mention anything about ketones? It can take several days before you see the results of insulin therapy, depending on the type of insulin you are using. My cat was also 16 1/2 when he was diagnosed; he is 18 now and doing very well, so I wouldn't think he age would be a problem in treating her. I would definitely take her back to the vet, the not eating or drinking is a worry as it creates problems of it's own.

What type of insulin did her vet Rx, and how much?

3. Sweet Pea's Mom

She was perfectly healthy - perfectly senile, but perfectly healthy until a little over a week ago. Then all of a sudden she was peeing in front of her litter box, not sleeping, restlessly moving around the house, losing weight, and she started a very strange and persistent meow. That's when we took her to the ER vet who diagnosed her with diabetes. Her BG was 513, but she wasn't in DKA. Couldn't give her too much insulin because her potassium was too low already and insulin lowers potassium levels, so they had to fluid resuscitate her at first. I got a ReliOn BG monitor but I can't get the blasted thing to work right. I even tried to test myself and I kept getting error messages. I'm a RN, so I'm very familiar with testing BG. I've tried 3 times now with no success.

As for the insulin, she's on 1 unit Vetsulin twice a day, but I've been holding a dose here and there when she hasn't eaten. She's a big cat and should be eating at least two little cans of Fancy Feast each day, but I can't even get her to eat one.

4. Squalliesmom

It's good that you are a RN, and that you already have knowledge of diabetes! Which Relion meter did you get? The Confirm and the Micro require a very small amount of blood; the Prime needs a larger drop. It helps to make sure the ear is warm (cold ears don't bleed very well), and you can apply a very thin layer of vaseline or Neosporin with Pain Relief to the ear first - it helps the blood to form a drop instead of dispersing through the hair. If you continue to have problems with the meter I would take it back to Walmart and ask for a replacement.

If she is refusing to eat she may be nauseated. Her vet can give her meds for nausea, usually cerenia and/or ondansetron as well as appetite stimulants, like cyproheptadine or mirtazapine. My cat is on Cyproheptadine, it doesn't have the risk of serotonin syndrome associated with the Mirtazapine.

You may have to consider syringe feeding her until she gets back on her feet. Here is a link with some helpful information on syringe assisted feeding.

Here is a link to a "liver shake" that is highly recommended for sick cats. It is very palatable and most cats will eat/drink it, even if they are not eating their food.

5. Sweet Pea's Mom

I bought the all-in-one compact because it was cheaper than piecing all the supplies together and claimed a small sample size, but I call BS on that. Just now we were laying down on the bed together for the night and she lost her bladder and just laid there in her mess, making no effort to move.

6. Squalliesmom

That is definitely worrisome. I wish I had some words of reassurance for you. At least you know she has taken in some fluids, though. Poor girl, I hope her vet can help her in the morning. I will keep her (and you) in my prayers. If she can get through whatever is bringing her down now, feline diabetes, itself, is very treatable. Please post tomorrow with the results from the vet visit! :bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Lucy

FWIW, my 18 year old kitty sometimes has bladder accidents, especially when he is sleeping deeply. Fortunately they do not happen often, but they do happen.

7. Sweet Pea's Mom

Will do. Thank you.

8. Squalliesmom

You are very welcome.

9. Sweet Pea's Mom

Sweet Pea crossed the rainbow bridge at 10:30 this morning.

10. Squalliesmom

I am so very sorry. I had hoped your news would be happier. It's obvious you loved her with all your heart, and my heart is breaking for you. Hold close and cherish all your wonderful memories of her, and she will live on in your heart until the day you are reunited at the Rainbow Bridge.

Fly free, beloved Sweet Pea, and land gently cat_wings>o

GA.jpe

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. Sweet Pea's Mom

Thank you so much for your kind words. They are greatly appreciated.

12. Squalliesmom

They are truly heartfelt. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

13. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry that you've lost your beloved kitty.

Sweet Pea's Mom likes this.
  14. Sashi's Mama

Sashi's Mama Member

Oh, I am so very sorry. My heart goes out to you.

15. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Sending purrs and prayers

16. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

So very sorry for your loss. Rest in Peace Sweet Pea:rb_icon:

17. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for your loss.

18. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Oh, that's heartbreaking...I am so sorry. Sweet Pea is a beautiful girl and she was very lucky to have you.

:bighug:

19. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry it was her time to leave you. I'm glad she wasn't feeling ill for a long time.

20. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

So sorry for your loss.:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

21. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I'm awfully sorry to hear about Sweet Pea. It's so hard ...

My heart goes out to you.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Mogs

22. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA) Well-Known Member

23. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Fly free Sweet Pea, your parents loved you and you were a good kitty. Wait for them at the Rainbow Bridge.:rb_icon:

24. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear it was SweetPeas time to cross..I know your heart is breaking and there really are no adequate words to comfort you....:bighug::bighug:so sending gentle hugs:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  25. Ann and Murphy and Tom

Ann and Murphy and Tom Member

My heart aches for you...

26. Rebecca Thomas

Rebecca Thomas Member

Sorry for your loss at such a young age :bighug:

27. Critter Mom

Thinking of you. I know how hard it is ...

One kind member here sent this to me and it helps:

The Loving Ones

I hope it might help you a little, too.

Mogs

28. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

so very sorry....:bighug::bighug::bighug:cat_wings>o

29. Elena

Elena Member

So sorry for your loss.

30. Critter Mom

Just checking in to ask how you're bearing up.

Mogs

31. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Sweet Pea, I've been there. four times in a six month period, two more in the next six months, two more last year and then our dog. You are NOT alone. She was loved and from what I hear, she's in a good place now. My first were two brothers, one at 17 and one at 23. You're allowed to cry and wonder what you could have done differently. Just know that all cats go to Heaven where the grass is soft, the sky is blue and no more trips to the vet. We all wish you peace and love. From Noah, Andy, Daniele, Lewis, Marco and Sam.

Ozzy Pawzbourne and Critter Mom like this.
  32. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ozzy Pawzbourne Well-Known Member

I am so sorry about your beloved sweet pea. You and Sweet Pea are in my prayers. :bighug:cat_wings>o

33. MiCo

MiCo Member

I am so sorry. Light and love. ((Hugs))

34. Marlena

Marlena Well-Known Member

Sending big hugs to you.
    So sorry for your loss.
    RIP Sweet Pea.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

35. SweetAngel

SweetAngel Member

so very sorry, what a beautiful girl. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

36. Critter Mom