high bilirubin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lutero, Apr 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lutero

lutero New Member

ciao
    Sono la mamma di Lutero un gatto norvegese di 16 anni. Avrei bisogno di qualche consiglio. ho ricoverato lutero perché gli hanno diagnosticato una chetoacidosi. La glicemia è sotto controllo intorno a 200 con una iniezione di lantus al giorno e i chetoni si non azzerati.Purtroppo lo tengono ancora in ospedale perché da quando è entrato i valori della bilirubina sono aumentati da 0,80 a 4,26 per cui i medici dicono che c'è un danno epatico che curano con i fluidi ma non lo posso portare a casa. mi dicono che può essere stata causata da un farmaco lo stargate che il mio veterinario mi ha dato per far mangiare il mio gatto. Qualcuno mi sa dire se questa bilirubina alta può essere causata dai chetoni e dal diabete o dallo stargate? i medici hanno fatto una ecografia al fegato ma non hanno trovato nulla di anormale. grazie

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I don’t speech Italian sorry but welcome!

3. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

This is the translation using Google Translate:

"Hello
    I am the mother of Luther a 16 year old Norwegian cat. I need some advice. I hospitalized Luther because he was diagnosed with ketoacidosis. His blood sugar is under control around 200 with one injection of lantus a day and the ketones are not cleared. Unfortunately they still keep him in the hospital because since he was admitted the bilirubin values have increased from 0.80 to 4.26 so the doctors they say there is liver damage that they treat with fluids but I can't take him home. they tell me it may have been caused by a drug in the stargate my vet gave me to feed my cat. Can anyone tell me if this high bilirubin can be caused by ketones and diabetes or stargate? the doctors did an ultrasound of the liver but found nothing abnormal. thank you "

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  4. lutero

lutero New Member

tk very much

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If the levels are only going down to 200 they should be giving a little more insulin to try to get the levels down into normal range (68-150) to help the ketones clear. Is he on introvenous fluids there? I don't have much experience with ketones so hopefully someone else will respond soon.

6. lutero

lutero New Member

ciao. i chetoni si sono azzerati. sta assumendo fluidi per via endovenosa con una unica dose di insulina lantus al giorno e la terapia risponde bene. il problema è la bilirubina che da quando è entrato in ospedale continua ad alzarsi da 0,80 a 4.26....i medici non me lo lasciano portare a casa. non so cosa pensare e vorrei sapere se qualcuno ha già avuto questa esperienza legata alla bilirubina alta

7. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

What is stargate? I tried google translate but it gave me "stargate" as the translation of stargate!

Translation for others :)
    "Hello. the ketones have zeroed. you are taking intravenous fluids with a single dose of insulin lantus per day and the therapy is responding well. the problem is the bilirubin that since he entered the hospital continues to rise from 0.80 to 4.26 .... the doctors do not let me take him home. I don't know what to think and would like to know if anyone has already had this high bilirubin experience"

Tagging @Marje and Gracie for the question on high bilirubin.

8. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Can you give us the name of the drug given? Any information on the package would be helpful.

Google translate:

Puoi darci il nome del farmaco somministrato? Qualsiasi informazione sul pacchetto sarebbe utile.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  9. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

10. lutero

lutero New Member

Si è questo
    Stargate è un medicinale veterinario a base del principio attivo Stanozolol, appartenente alla categoria degli Anabolizzanti e nello specifico dei Derivati di Androstane. È commercializzato in Italia da Acme Srl

11. lutero

lutero New Member

12. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

Hi @lutero
    Regarding the drug Stanozolol, i have found this about it and if it were me i would be pretty sure that the steroid is the cause of the high bilirubin and hopefully if / when the Luther stops taking the steroid the liver values will return to normal.
    http://explore.vetdepot.com/medications/Stanozolol/
    I also found this article about Stanozolol
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10976299/ which suggests that Stanozolol is hepatotoxic in cats and their liver values returned to normal a few weeks Stanozolol administration was discontinued.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  13. lutero

lutero New Member

ciao teetee
    grazie dei link che hai inviato. li girerò al mio veterinario.
    lutero ha fatto solo 1 dose di 50mg due settimane fa. speriamo in bene!!!

Teetee (UK) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.