? Help with unmanaged diabetes

win&coco

Member Since 2026
So I need some help with my cat Coco. I did the signature thing as instructed (if any data is needed pls let me know). This is long and I apologize for that and for my grammar.

He was diagnosed back in July with a Fructosamine test after I noticed some weird symptoms like urinating a lot and drinking a lot of water. I'm gonna be honest I am completely uneducated about feline diabetes and it seems like our vet is also uneducated and Coco is paying the price unfortunaly so I need some guidance pls.

For startes when he got diagnosed we left him on the vet for 24hours as advised on the vet so they could check his glucose in a glucose curve. We picked him up and the vet showed us how to poke his ear however he was poking IN THE MIDDLE of the ear and obviously Coco was crying. Both my dad and me were very hesitant because it did looked like it hurt him however we didn't know anything about feline diabetes so we thought we must do what he told us. We went home, first morning we poked him and we couldn't get a good sample ofc so the glucometer said "error". I looked up how to do the process smoothly and we found to poke the outer edge of the ear was better and it was, we had to TEACH the vet when we went to the vet again for a revision.

Coco has been going to the vet a lot this past four months and every time I feel more hopeless. As I was reading more I noticed the whole dosis thing is most likely wrong and I didn't know. For starters the vet told us to check every 2 days and put 2u every 2 days!! His range was 258 mg/dl (lowest) and 426 mg/dl (highest).
They said to give Coco a change of food so we did, we give him Virbac Weightloss & Diabetes. Now I read and I know dry food is not really good for cats bc of the carbs and I bought some Purina Pro DM and I gave him ½ or ¼ every day bc I can't afford more. I searched for alternatives and found the whole Fancy Feast Classic Paté, I was inclined to buy it but then Coco got a urinary blockage (september 17). So we went to the vet again, they helped him and all, he spent like 3 days there and we picked him up with a lot of meds.

While Coco was there they did another glucose curve and they told us to up the dosis to 4u every 24hours. I asked them why was the dosis so high so they said his glucose was going high and we must prioritize checking his whole urine and etc. They tested him for a lot of things.

Now we adapted to the new routine and I noticed his numbers were more high than before. His lowest was 376mg/dl and his highest was 488mg/dl. I brought that up and they said it was probably the stress of poking him and all those vet visits. Then he got another blockage (01 octuber) and we went again, he got surgery on his bladder on Saturday and stayed 5 days hospitalized there in total. I called and they said he was "stable".

We picked him up on Monday at 11a.m. because you can't go on Sundays and the vet told us he was stable, urinating normally and we should change the food (I asked about change of dosis because the high carbs on the new food and he said to keep it as 4u).

Then I asked about the 488mg/dl that I saw on their chart and he said it was because of the stress of the clinic (they were going to do another curve however cancelled because Coco was already stressed and just got out of surgery). So we left. He was sleepy but the vet told us it was because of the meds so I had to keep him on my bedroom with me to watch him. He ate and peed "normally" aka many times with medium sized clumps (normal according to the vet bc the whole surgery).
But then yesterday I checked his glucose at 9a.m. as usual and the glucometer said HI, I checked after 30mins and it said HI again in another glucometer. I called the vet about the dosis and they said to give him the same dosis as advised so I did...

I checked in at 10:30 a.m. again and it said HI still. Coco did eat that morning but was sleepy, he did pee and drank water but it was clear something was wrong. I called and they said we should bring him again to check his potassium and electrolites and fluid therapy because it was not normal to have that high number. I had to wait for my dad to finish his work so we could go there and meanwhile I investigated a lot about his meds just to see if that could be the cause and one of the meds he was prescribed was PredniPets (prednisolana) so I called again and they said to bring him and they would check, and to also bring a FreeStyle Libre sensor.

He stayed there in the hospital and I called this morning but they said they would give me a call back bc they were busy. Right now they called me back and I asked a lot of things (if we could change lantus to 12hours as advised and deduct the dosis to 1u?) and the vet said that he recommended 4u every 12 hours... so I said that was too much but he said that was what he recommended bc if we lowered the dosis we could make him insulin resistant or we could change insulin to reset the body or they could give us a reference to an endocrinology expert.

I asked about Coco and they said he was eating normally and peeing, etc however his glucose was 480mg/dl. Now I need help with this please, I can't change vets right now and the expert they recommend is in another city. It takes us 1 hour to go to this vet bc we live in a town, we can't be going to another city bc it would be like 8 hours in total. I tried to look for another vet no one knows about diabetes in cats and I feel lost.

Please help me with this. Is it truth that lowering the dose will make him resistant to the insuline? Do we need to change insulin? We don't have much money, my dad spent a lot of money this few months with him but I feel like Coco isn't getting better. Any insight and advise welcome please.

....

UPDATE: 07/Oct. 6:00 p.m.
I didn't know if I should make another post or just here but in any case someone is reading this i guess could be helpful?

We picked Coco from the vet, he's doing okay already drank water and ate a little bit. He had a little bit of high temperature in the clinic but the vet said it was because of the room and it was okay. I asked him if it was okay to go home with Coco because he showed a high reading there too and he said it was okay. If Coco was letargic we should bring him again he said.

The vet said the insulin could be spoiled so we are buying another vial. And also I asked my dad about buying a ketone kit as Corky said below so just in case. Still we are supposed to give Coco 4u at 8p.m. and I'm really hesitant about it. I scanned him a few times with his new sensor and it still says High, and now it says 495mg/dl so it is high. His exams came normal, the vet said his potassium wasn't that high and his clorurox was normal too. I insisted on the whole dosis bc I thought it was still high but he said it was because of Coco's weight (8kg/17lb) and bc well he is overweight so I don't know what to do.
 
Last edited:
Welcome to you and Coco to FDMB
You are not the only member that gets overwhelmed hearing Feline Diabetes, I was one of them, I had no idea cats could get FD, but Breath in breath out, we are here for you to help thru this journey! ;)
Boy Oh Boy! poor Coco, it is true the biggest stressor for a cat is a vet visit, however 4units of insulin is a very high dose, so I am glad you got the Libre, however the Libre has its flaws, the high levels will read higher and the two-digit numbers lower than reality, as well as it can fall off, or malfunction, the sensor lasts 14 days, so keep the hand monitor close
you can request a free replacement for the failed Libres. Just never say it’s for a pet. You can do the request online (or call Abbott).
You need the serial number on the box or recorded in the phone (for the last 2 sensors). You don’t need to have kept the sensor or return it,
. Lantus is a 12-hour insulin, Lantus is a depot style insulin, it basically means some of it goes into the blood stream and some is stored and slowly released over time. It can take 6 cycles (6 days) to build up the depot so you can see what the dose can do. so you need to keep the same dose, unless necessary in two-digit levels A diabetic cat need to have a diet of wet can or raw food between 0-10% carbs, Coco needs to have 3-4 small meals or snack during the day to keep the inulin depot in check, as well as the two main meals before shot, the protocol is TEST-FEED-SHOOT. You do need to keep spending money at the vet for a curve, this stresses Coco and the glucose levels will be unrealistic, causing an unnecessary dose increase, a curve is simply testing every 2 hours for 1 cycle (12 hours) so now with the Libre you can get a curve all the time. If you are experiencing financial situations, there are foundations that can assist you if you qualify with insulin, syringes, and some medical procedures, link below, also, a Food list links, we are very numbers oriented, we would like you to create Coco's spreadsheet, link below this way we can all be on the same page so we can assist you with dosing, a non-diabetic cats' glucose levels are between 50-120🫶
When search for Coco's food, you will look for DRY MATTER CARBS
0-10% low carbs
11-15% medium carbs
16-24% high carbs (mostly gravies)

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/spreadsheets-tech-support-testing-area.6/
Links to FOOD CHARTS
Financial Help Links
 
Last edited:
Also if you are feeding high carbs, the transition from high carbs to low carbs needs to be a slow transition, sudden change in carbs can upset Coco's stomach and can cause a down dive down to the glucose level. You should also create a Hypo kit in case of a very low-level, link below
Sticky - jojo and bunny's HYPO TOOL BOX
 
Welcome to you and Coco to FDMB
You are not the only member that gets overwhelmed hearing Feline Diabetes, I was one of them, I had no idea cats could get FD, but Breath in breath out, we are here for you to help thru this journey! ;)
Boy Oh Boy! poor Coco, it is true the biggest stressor for a cat is a vet visit, however 4units of insulin is a very high dose, so I am glad you got the Libre, however the Libre has its flaws, the high levels will read higher and the two-digit numbers lower than reality, as well as it can fall off, or malfunction, the sensor lasts 14 days, so keep the hand monitor close
you can request a free replacement for the failed Libres. Just never say it’s for a pet. You can do the request online (or call Abbott).
You need the serial number on the box or recorded in the phone (for the last 2 sensors). You don’t need to have kept the sensor or return it,
. Lantus is a 12-hour insulin, Lantus is a depot style insulin, it basically means some of it goes into the blood stream and some is stored and slowly released over time. It can take 6 cycles (6 days) to build up the depot so you can see what the dose can do. so you need to keep the same dose, unless necessary in two-digit levels A diabetic cat need to have a diet of wet can or raw food between 0-10% carbs, Coco needs to have 3-4 small meals or snack during the day to keep the inulin depot in check, as well as the two main meals before shot, the protocol is TEST-FEED-SHOOT. You do need to keep spending money at the vet for a curve, this stresses Coco and the glucose levels will be unrealistic, causing an unnecessary dose increase, a curve is simply testing every 2 hours for 1 cycle (12 hours) so now with the Libre you can get a curve all the time. If you are experiencing financial situations, there are foundations that can assist you if you qualify with insulin, syringes, and some medical procedures, link below, also, a Food list link for Canada, we are very numbers oriented, we would like you to create Coco's spreadsheet, link below this way we can all be on the same page so we can assist you with dosing, a non-diabetic cats' glucose levels are between 50-120🫶
When search for Coco's food, you will look for DRY MATTER CARBS
0-10% low carbs
11-15% medium carbs
16-24% high carbs (mostly gravies)

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/spreadsheets-tech-support-testing-area.6/
Canadian Food Chart - PC Extra Meaty Line
Financial Help Links

Okay so it's good to know about the sensor thank you. I do have the other glucometer in hand in case there is a high reading or something.
Unfortunaly I can't change to wet food at the moment, my dad is the one that pays and he doesn't have much money. I did looked around to see organizations in México but none are close to us, again we live in a very small town so not much options for us.

Coco does eats his portion in 4 times however I'm looking into changing his schedule because of the whole new dosis. We check every morning before eating, then he eats and then we shoot so we do that.

My main question right now is about what the vet told us and about the dosis. I'm afraid he will have another episode of super high glucose. Idk if I should put 4u at night as the vet advised or if I should just stay firm and say 1u every 12hours? Bc I don't want to cause Coco a insuline resistance. We are going to pick him out in a few minutes so those are my main questions.
 
OK.! below is a link for Mexico food list, however please read again the post #2 highlighted you need to shoot every 12 hours at the same times. and no food 2 hours prior shot, you want to record the true glucose level before shot. food raises levels. We always recommend to start with a low dose of 1.0 unit Coco will continue to have high levels because of the high carbs and dose changes, weather you increase or decrease right now, you do not increase or decrease on the glucose levels, has the vet tested for KETONES? this also causes high glucose levels, you can go to any pharmacy a get a ketone kit, is very inexpensive, the kit contains strips, you place as Coco is urinating, not the urine from the litter box, it will be contaminated. Coco needs to adjust to the dose given, and begin to eat lower carbs, we want to stabilize the BG, so his pancreas begin to heal
Mexico-Argentina food list
 
OK.! below is a link for Mexico food list, however please read again the post #2 highlighted you need to shoot every 12 hours at the same times. and no food 2 hours prior shot, you want to record the true glucose level before shot. food raises levels. We always recommend to start with a low dose of 1.0 unit Coco will continue to have high levels because of the high carbs and dose changes, weather you increase or decrease right now, you do not increase or decrease on the glucose levels, has the vet tested for KETONES? this also causes high glucose levels, you can go to any pharmacy a get a ketone kit, is very inexpensive, the kit contains strips, you place as Coco is urinating, not the urine from the litter box, it will be contaminated. Coco needs to adjust to the dose given, and begin to eat lower carbs, we want to stabilize the BG, so his pancreas begin to heal
Mexico-Argentina food list
Okay so should i stick to what the vet told us? 4u every 12hours? They didn't check for ketones only his potassium and clorurox i think its called. I will ask my dad if we can buy the ketone kit to see.
 
Okay so it's good to know about the sensor thank you. I do have the other glucometer in hand in case there is a high reading or something.
Unfortunaly I can't change to wet food at the moment, my dad is the one that pays and he doesn't have much money. I did looked around to see organizations in México but none are close to us, again we live in a very small town so not much options for us.

Coco does eats his portion in 4 times however I'm looking into changing his schedule because of the whole new dosis. We check every morning before eating, then he eats and then we shoot so we do that.

My main question right now is about what the vet told us and about the dosis. I'm afraid he will have another episode of super high glucose. Idk if I should put 4u at night as the vet advised or if I should just stay firm and say 1u every 12hours? Bc I don't want to cause Coco a insuline resistance. We are going to pick him out in a few minutes so those are my main questions.
It seems that the vet you have is not very knowledgeable on Feline Diabetes, vets normally understand a dog's diabetes and are not updated on FD. You pay your vet you do what's best for Coco, some Vets are very stubborn, and do not respect the needs of the patient/cat. if Coco is already well, the less you visit for diabetes the better for his levels, cats are very sensitive to stress, even if you stress, they stress. This Forum saves cats lives, including my Corky, I trust this Forum blindly, the members on this board are very knowledgeable it is a World Wide Forum. you can treat Coco's diabetes right here we can help you stabilize him, but is very important that as soon as you are able to, you transition from high carbs to low carbs
 
Okay so should i stick to what the vet told us? 4u every 12hours? They didn't check for ketones only his potassium and clorurox i think its called. I will ask my dad if we can buy the ketone kit to see.
I do not give dosing advice but I will tag a couple of members that can assist you with the correct dose, could you please create the spreadsheet, link on post #2, at least enter 2 days more if you have them, this way the member that will help with the correct dose can see the patterns in levels
@Tim & Pookey
@squeem3
@Sienne and Gabby (GA)
dosing advice
 
Last edited:
I do not give dosing advice but I will tag a couple of members that can assist you with the correct dose, could you please create the spreadsheet, link on post #2, at least enter 2 days more if you have them, this way the member that will help with the correct dose can see the patterns in levels
@Tim & Pookey
@squeem3
Okay thank you. I will do the spreadsheet as soon as I can, thanknyou.
 
Corky uses ProZinc, however you can look over his spreadsheet, (below in blue) this way you can get an idea what it looks like
 
Corky uses ProZinc, however you can look over his spreadsheet, (below in blue) this way you can get an idea what it looks like
Hi i'm sorry again for much responses but can you tell me how to add a row of hours like you did on your spreadsheet? I'm trying to set up the spreadsheet and I already have the template copied and everything but idk how you did that.
 
Hi i'm sorry again for much responses but can you tell me how to add a row of hours like you did on your spreadsheet? I'm trying to set up the spreadsheet and I already have the template copied and everything but idk how you did that.
just click "tab" for every cell, if you want to include a test on the 1/2 hour, on the top of the spreadsheet there's a paint bucket, click on it and color the cell, like 8:30 would be 8.5 if you would like a member to create the Spreadsheet for you, we can, let us know, since you are using the Libre you do not have to insert every BG, with 3-4 test and the prior to shot test is sufficient
 
I’ll save some stress I’ll have member create the SS for you
@Bandit's Mom
Could you please create the spreadsheet for Coco’s mom? Thank you
Thank you i think i figure it out (even if we don't have as much data as everyone else), i ended up not putting the hours because our schedule hasn't been consistent either.
 
Back
Top