Help with stabilising blood sugars - frequent hypos and hyperglycaemia

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by IduraH, Feb 29, 2024.

1. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Any update on Tiger? I woke up this morning thinking of her.

IduraH likes this.
  2. IduraH

IduraH Member

Morning @Suzanne & Darcy , I just got off the phone with the vet.

Her blood gases does show that she is acidotic. Her fructosamine is 413.

They've given her a lower dose of insulin of 0.4 as they want to try three times a day dosing instead - I told them that I'm not sure how feasible this is long term given my work.

They'll give me a call later today again

Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
    Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  3. Suzanne & Darcy

Thanks for the update. If RVC will switch her to Lantus it would be better because the depot insulins will give her smoother cycles because of the stored insulin that helps to carry them. You usually shoot a lot lower numbers though with the depot insulins and don’t generally do spot reductions based on preshot numbers.

IduraH likes this.
  4. Suzanne & Darcy

At least it sounds like they are monitoring her closely and she’s okay. I feel some relief about that.

IduraH likes this.
  5. IduraH

IduraH Member

Update, she's now home! Her sugars were soooo good today. I feel a bit trolled ahahha

She has a few bags of IV fluids, and the vet said she was ketone-free from 12pm today. They're still waiting her cystoscopy results, and they'll send me over the notes/blood gases for tomorrow RVC appointment

Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
  6. IduraH

IduraH Member

ooh also, they didn't do capillary blood glucose, but they did scan her alpha trak every 30 minutes or so and recorded the values. I've inputted it on the sheet now.

7. Suzanne & Darcy

I’m happy she’s home! Some good numbers today yes. Is there a way for you to record how much insulin they gave her? And when? You mean they just scanned her Libre sensor?

8. IduraH

IduraH Member

They were planning to give her 0.4 units TDS, so she got 0.4 units this morning at 8am.
    They later changed their minds, so she didn't get anything in the afternoon and I've just given her 0.6 units at 8pm.

Yup, they just scanned her sensor instead.

9. Suzanne & Darcy

Okay. I understand. Today was the day she was due to break her bounce. Lovely to see. I hope all goes well at the RVC tomorrow!

10. Suzanne & Darcy

Hello Idura. When you get back home and are able to update us, would you start a new thread on this forum and link this one at the top of your new thread.

IduraH likes this.
  11. IduraH

IduraH Member

I've created a new thread and replied there now

12. Suzanne & Darcy

Idura, there are quite a few of is who are wondering and worrying about Tiger. Could you update us?