Help needed- Watson won’t eat NEW MEMBER

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rosie Lass, Apr 22, 2024.

1. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

Hi, I'm Rosie. Cat mom to 4, one of which is Watson my sugar cat. He is 7 and was diagnosed in March of 2023. He has been as low as 1 unit and as high as 4 units of insulin glargine, trying to find the perfect number so his glucose reading don't look like a roller coaster. (was on 2.5 until yesterday when we dropped to 2)
    After finding this site I replaced his food with low carb options (most of which he doesn't like) and replaced his kibble with low/no carb and only given in small amount occasionally.
    I just put together his spreadsheet yesterday. The starting date is when he had his latest Libre2 sensor put on.
    I have a couple questions. What range should I be looking for in cats. I wasn't really given a range by the vet so I've used 80-120 in the past and he was rarely in that range, and when he would go under 80 I was concerned. At what number do I start giving high carb rescue items? I'm currently freaking out when he's in the 50's.
    Also, my sensor program only goes up to 400 so when I get a HI message should I enter it as 400-499 or 500 and over?

So far we've tried mostly Fancy Feast pate or flaked, a few Weruvas, Friskies and Beyonds. The kibble is Young Again Zero Mature. I also bought some free dried raw treats (but he also gets 3 temptation catnip treats every morning for being a good boy)

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this. Hopefully I am able to FINALLY get him in the range he needs to be in.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Welcome, Rosie and thanks for getting your signature and spreadsheet set up so quickly. I'd like to suggest you also take a look at the sticky notes at the top of the Lantus, Levemir, and Biosimilar board. In particular, we have information on the two dosing methods we use which look to be a bit different than what you're doing.

We look at normal blood glucose range as between 50 - 120. When you intervene can depend on which of the two dosing methods you're using. This is more of an issue with the Tight Regulation Protocol and in particular, with that dosing method Watson would be considered a longer term diabetic since he's a year past his diagnosis date. However, read over the methods and we can answer any questions you may have as to how they differ and what's best suited for you and Watson. Just one FYI, with Tight Regulation, no dry food or similar treats can be in the picture.

What you're seeing is that Watson is doing what we refer to as "bouncing." His liver and pancreas have not gotten used to lower numbers and they panic when he drops into lower ranges. When that happens, the liver and pancreas release a stored form of glucose along with counterregulatory hormones that cause numbers to spike upward. It can take a few days for the bounce to clear.

If you were not aware, the Libre is not as reliable as a hand held meter when it comes to lower numbers. There can be a large difference between the Libre reading, which is appreciably lower, than what you would get if you were testing with a glucometer.

Please let us know how we can help.

3. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

Thank you, I'll look over the board you suggested for dosing. My sensor sends a warning when Watson reaches 55 so at that point I've been giving him higher carb stuff, treats and maple syrup. Maybe that wasn't the right thing to do? At what point do I start to do that? Also, should I be marking those rescue items and mid-day food on the spreadsheet somewhere?

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

The headache with the Libre is that when it tells you Watson's at 55, a hand held meter may give you a reading of 150. The Libre is not consistently accurate at the lower end of the scale. Is it possible for you to home test with a regular glucometer?

You can put a note in the comments section of the spreadsheet if you are giving high carb food. If you look at my spreadsheet, it will give you one example of how people hand the information. Some members will add a comment to the cell.

Shell likes this.
  5. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Many members here use the Walmart Relion meter. the strips are the least expensive around.

7. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

The pharmacist helped me pick this. It sounds very complicated. Please tell me I only have to do this when the numbers are low, like how low? I’m sure there are instructions on how to do a blood draw somewhere in the threads so I will look at that tomorrow. upload_2024-4-22_18-6-14.jpeg

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Rosie it's really not complicated at all
    Always aim for the sweet spot warm the ears up first, you can put rice in a sock and put it in the microwave, test it on the inside of your wrist to be sure it's not to hot, like you would test a babies bottle. You can fill a pill bottle with warm water and roll it on the ears also.Just keep rubbing the ears with your fingers to warm them up
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    6. As the ears get used to bleeding and grow more capilares, it gets easier to get the amount of blood you need on the first try. If he won’t stand still, you can get the blood onto a clean finger nail and test from there.
    When you do get some blood you can try milking the ear.
    Get you finger and gently push up toward the blood , more will appear
    You will put the cotton round behind his ear in case you poke your finger, after you are done testing you will fold the cotton round over his ear to stop the bleeding , press gently for about 10 or 20 seconds until it stops
    Get 26 or 28 gauge lancets
    A lot of us use the lancets to test freehand not the lancing device
    I find it better to see where I'm aiming
    Look at the lancet under a light and you will see one side is curved upward, that's the side you want to poke with
    Here is a video one of our members made testing her kitty
    She's using a pet meter that has to be coded ,with a human meter you don't have to code it.

I have always used a human meter
    VIDEO: How to test your cat's blood sugar

If you can't get enough blood using the 30 gauge lancets get the 26 or 28 gauge lancets. The lower gauge lancets will make a bigger hole to get more blood. Don't worry its it's not a big hole ,you won't even see it
    @Rosie Lass

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
    Rosie Lass likes this.
  9. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Rosie Lass
    I looked up the ingredients and they look like they are high in carbs
    CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL, GROUND CORN, ANIMAL FAT (PRESERVED WITH MIXED TOCOPHEROLS), DRIED MEAT BY-PRODUCTS, BREWERS RICE, WHEAT FLOUR, NATURAL FLAVORS, BREWERS DRIED YEAST, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, TITANIUM DIOXIDE COLOR, DRIET CATNIP, CHLOROPHYLL (SODIUM COPPER CHLOROPHYLLIN), CHOLINE CHLORIDE, SALT, TAURINE, DL- ...

Instead of them
    Click on this link and look at post #6. Numbers are to the right
    You can get any freeze dried treats ,information is there
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/brand-new-many-questions-3.255627/#post-2878703

Freeze dried treats that only contain one ingredient (the meat or fish) is zero carb and fine to feed to a diabetic :D

I also did a search on our site and found this posted by a member
    The other treat is just steamed chicken, or boiledchicken. All I do is get chicken breasts, steam them, then dice the chicken into tiny cubes. I do a big batch then put them into small 1cup containers andfreeze them. I always have a small cup of chicken in the frig because she may want something to eat in the 2hrs before her shots and she can't be fed, so she settles fora few of the chicken cubes.

Can you add to your signature SLGS also and for what you are feeding you need to add kibble where you have low carb
    low carb/Young Again kibble
    Are you using the U-100 syringes with the half unit markings?
    We use these so we can adjust the dose by 0.25 units if needed, these make it easier to do that

Watson is so adorable with his head resting on the arm of the couch :cat:

By the way here is your post about the syringes ,both myself and JL
    responded to your question, tap on the link
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/syringe-type.289108/

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
  10. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

Thanks for the blood draw information. Although it freaks me out reading it, it looks very helpful. Do I only have to do this when the numbers are low on his Libre 2 sensor? If so, how low when I start checking?

Regarding the treats, I did buy 3 types of freeze dried treats that he is so-so on. Will giving him 3 pieces of the temptation catnip ones really be terrible? I’ve done it every morning for 5 years so it is really ingrained for him to expect them.

I really do appreciate all the help.

Watson is hating almost all the new food I’m giving him which makes us both sad and me overwhelmed.

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

I'm going to tag a few members who can answer you about the Libre ,I have never used one
    @Sienne and Gabby (GA)
    @Bandit's Mom
    @tiffmaxee
    @Suzanne & Darcy

Thanks ladies

12. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Rosie, I'm just going by what the ingredients say in my post #9, maybe the members I tagged can tell you what they think
    About him hating all the food you have tried so far
    Here is the food chart ,maybe take a look 6% carbs and under are OK
    http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

Can you add to your signature SLGS also and for what you are feeding you need to add kibble where you have low carb
    low carb wet/ Young Again kibble
    We use these so we can adjust the dose by 0.25 units if needed, these make it easier to do that

To add to your signature tap on your name up top then tap on signature and add what I asked you to add then tap Save

If you don't have the U-100 syringes with half unit markings let me know and I can suggest some
    What was Watson eating before you started feeding the low carb wet ?
    @Rosie Lass

13. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

One more question what does the GA after some of the names mean?

14. Diane Tyler's Mom

It means their cat has passed away :( Gone Ahead

15. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Or GA can also mean "Guardian Angel".

If you think poking your cat's ear is going to be an issue, I would just get a manual blood glucose reading if the Libre numbers are under 100. As Watson gets acclimated to having his ear poked, you'll have a choice regarding whether to continue to use a Libre plus a few pokes when necessary or to switch over to a hand held meter. One other consideration is that if Watson's numbers indicate he's going into remission, you're going to be seeing a lot of lower numbers and will likely need to be relying on the hand held meter.

16. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Sienne and Gabby (GA)
    Do you think Rosie feeding Watson 3 pieces of the Temptation Cat Nip Treats 3 times a day are too high in carb
    I looked up the ingredients and they look like they are high in carbs
    CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL, GROUND CORN, ANIMAL FAT (PRESERVED WITH MIXED TOCOPHEROLS), DRIED MEAT BY-PRODUCTS, BREWERS RICE, WHEAT FLOUR, NATURAL FLAVORS, BREWERS DRIED YEAST, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, TITANIUM DIOXIDE COLOR, DRIET CATNIP, CHLOROPHYLL (SODIUM COPPER CHLOROPHYLLIN), CHOLINE CHLORIDE, SALT, TAURINE, DL- ...

Thanks Sienne

Rosie asked me
    Will giving him 3 pieces of the temptation catnip ones really be terrible? I’ve done it every morning for 5 years so it is really ingrained for him to expect them.

17. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

Thank you all so very much for your advise. Can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

18. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

Thanks to your help I did my first metered test a minute ago. The Libra2 said he was at 54, the meter said 55 so I'm happy they were close. Watson did a great job for testing too! Should I now be giving him some high carb food/treats?

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  19. Diane Tyler's Mom

Great job Rosie !
    Do you have any higher carb food in the house

On a human meter, 50 is your “take action” number meaning it's time to intervene with food to bring the BG up whether you need to feed low carb, med carb or high carb food
    If there is a big drop on BG numbers you would need to feed and keep testing
    I saw on your SS in the remarks section you have Watson some young again , they are around 5 or 6 % carbs
    Can you test again and see what it is now
    With SLGS method anytime a kitty goes below 90 you reduce by 0.25 units
    So the next dose would be 1.75 units
    Rosie can you please add this information to your signature please when you get a chance it's important
    Can you add to your signature SLGS also and for what you are feeding you need to add
    low carb wet/ Young Again kibble

To add to your signature tap on your name up top then tap on signature and add what I asked you to add then tap Save

If you don't have the U-100 syringes with half unit markings let me know and I can suggest some
    What was Watson eating before you started feeding the low carb wet food

can you add CVS human meter to your spreadsheet up top also and to your signature so members know you did check again with a human meter .(CVS Meter)
    Libre is considered a human meter also

20. Diane Tyler's Mom

I would also pick up some med and hc food to have in the house in case you need to bring Watson's BG up and have honey in the house
    If he won't eat it , it's really the gravy in it that's higher carbs, so uncase you can't get him to eat it squeeze the gravy out of it and see if he will lick it up

Med and High Carb food

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Gourmet Beef Feast in Gravy 20% High Carbs

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Gourmet Chicken Feast in Gravy 15% Med Carbs

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Turkey Feast in Gravy 15% Med Carbs

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Chicken and Beef in Gravy 15% Med Carbs

Good idea to mark the cans with magic marker how many carbs

Or any on the food chart. Doesn't have to be Fancy Feast just an example about the med and high carb foods

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dr-pierson-new-food-

10% and under is low carb
    11% -15 is medium carbs.

16- 24 is high carb.

sometimes dry food takes a little longer to bring up low numbers and, once it does, it takes much longer to leave the system.

How to handle Low Numbers
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dont-panic-or-how-to-handle-low-numbers.210109/

SLGS Method , give it another read :cat:
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...-low-go-slow-slgs-tight-regulation-tr.210110/

21. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

I have given him 10 high carb treats about an eighth of a cup of high carb food plus rubbed some Maple syrup on his gums. I’m gonna test again in four minutes. I’ll try to get my signature updated once he’s out of crisis. I’m about in tears. He still at 53 at 1:05 PM so he is now having gravy lovers turkey. I don’t have the needles with smaller increments, but they are ordered and should be here tomorrow.

22. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I would also re-test. Given the amount of high carb stuff (treats, high carb food, maple syrup), there's a good chance Watson's numbers are going to be sky high. In addition, his numbers may bounce from his dropping into lower a lower range than he's used to. Just so you have this handy, this is a link to a post on the Lantus board on how to handle low numbers.

With SLGS, you decrease the dose when numbers drop below 90. You will want to adjust Watson's dose to 1.75u for his evening shot.

From what the ingredients are in the treats you're using, I suspect they are high in carbs. Corn - especially since it's the 2nd ingredient, brewer's rice, and wheat flour are all carbs. I would see if you can find an alternative that Watson likes.

23. Diane Tyler's Mom

Did you get another test yet, you said 53 at 1:00 PM
    We are all in different time zones can you just tell us 53@ what where in the cycle for instance 53 @+4 or @+5
    OK I see it was 53 @+4 on your SS
    You will have to eyeball the 1.75 units tonight
    • Full and half-unit syringe scales:
    [​IMG]
    @Rosie Lass
    Don't cry Rosie, don't fill him up a lot in case you have to keep feeding him

24. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

I just retested the sensor said 54 the monitor said 55

25. Diane Tyler's Mom

I see on your SS that was @+5
    @Sienne and Gabby (GA)
    Recap
    53 @ 4.25
    47 @ 4.5
    53 @ 4.7
    54 @+5 sensor 55 @+5 CVS Meter

Elise can you take a look at this please , Rosie is a new member
    @tiffmaxee
    I suck at telling members how many carbs to feed if they are low
    Thank you Elise
    She has the Libre2 on and is testing again with the CVS human meter to confirm the numbers

26. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

Retested at 55. I will reduce dose tonight. I’m sorry to be so needy

27. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

28. Diane Tyler's Mom

You're not being needy at all Rosie. I would give Watson another teaspoon of the FF Gravy Lovers Turkey or at least the Gravy.
    I suck at giving how much to feed that's why I tagged Sienne

Later on just add CVS monitor up top of your SS
    Libre 2/ CVS meter ok?
    @Rosie Lass

29. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

I’ve added to my signature, hope it’s ok now. It was 55 at +5, and the Libre2 said 54 so they are pretty close. I’ll drop to 1.75 units tonight. New needles coming tomorrow. Still have all my old high carb food so I’m all set for rescues. So sorry to be such a pest

30. Diane Tyler's Mom

You are not a pest Rosie at all, I was always posting tons when I first started out . Did you feed Watson again after 55@+5?
    Signature looks good :cat:
    Later on just add CVS monitor up top of your SS
    Libre 2/ CVS meter so members know

Rosie I think you can delete from your signature
    currently on 2 units twice daily because doses change constantly and members will see it in your spreadsheet when the dose changes

Rosie if it wasn't for me taking the advice from the members here I know Tyler wouldn't be in remission for 3 years and 3 months so far ( knock on wood) . I never followed what my vet told me

I think it would be a good idea if you started posting on the Lantus Forum tomorrow, there are more eyes on the Lantus BoardBoard
    Here is the link
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-levemir-biosimilars.9/

To the right you will see post new thread
    You can say you were posting on the Feline Health Board before
    Introduce yourself and Watson
    We have a certain way to post there
    In your Title put
    Date Watson AMPS BG and any other tests you take after that ,and you can continue with the PMPS BG and any additional numbers you want to add.
    To do that look to the right you will see the word Thread Tools ,tap on that then tap in Edit Title and add your other tests
    always use @+ , not the time of day Then tap Save.

We like you to post everyday and then link your previous days post to the new one in case members need to go back and read something
    To post your previous days post it will be the one all the way up top, above the pic of that cat in the upper left hand corner , so if you post on the lantus board you will copy and paste it to your post for tomorrow. I syck at explaining this too low it's above //feline diabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new member do you see it ? You will copy and paste it to tomorrow's post .
    So you will always post your previous days post to your new one
    @Rosie Lass

31. Diane Tyler's Mom

Recap
    Recap
    53 @ 4.25
    47 @ 4.5
    53 @ 4.7
    54 @+5 sensor 55 @+5 CVS Meter
    54/55
    66 @+5.25
    63 @+5.5
    54 @+5.75
    56 @ 6.25
    56 @6.75

32. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

And now 54 at 5.75 :-(

33. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Just seeing this. I would check his BG in 30 minutes. Are you still feeding the hc treats? . It takes 20-30 minutes for the food to work.

34. Diane Tyler's Mom

@tiffmaxee
    Thank you Elise :cat:
    Rosie does have
    FF gravy lovers turkey. 15% carbs also
    From her SS in remarks section
    Refused food offered at 8am, had to offer different food at 9am; 1/4 cup YA kibble @ 11:54am, Tested 55 with meter @ +3 - 10 regular treats & 1ml maple syrup @ 12:25pm; 1/4 cup regular kibble @ 12:40pm; FF gravy lovers at 1:04; 1ml maple syrup & more gravy lovers @ 1:30

She hasn't updated what she has been feeding as of yet

35. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

I’ve been checking every 15 minutes he’s had wet food, kibble and treats along with honey and maple syrup. It goes up for a while and then drops back down.

36. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

56 still at +6.75

Is glucose gel a good option for felines? If so, I could keep some of that onhand

37. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I’m not familiar with glucose gel. It’s best to give food he will eat. If it’s not high carb you can add honey or Karo to make it higher carb if the bg drops too low.

38. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Rosie -- stop beating up on yourself!! You're doing great. There is an overwhelming amount of information to learn about managing your cat's diabetes and you are at the beginning of this adventure. You're learning. Each and every person here has been in your shoes. And, frankly, we've had MDs who didn't know how to treat their cats and vets who have come here to learn a new or different insulin. You are in not only good company but among a community of people who care deeply about their cat and the kitties of the members here. We expect that you will be asking questions.

If you have had a chance to look at the link I provided on managing low numbers, you'll notice that there's a comment about not becoming complacent. For many cats that drop into lower numbers, they wobble around. You bump up their numbers with high carb, you breathe a sigh of relief after seeing the numbers rise, you test a little while later and the numbers have dropped again. It's not atypical. It's telling you your dose is too high. To be honest, I would have expected Watson's numbers to skyrocket after you gave him as much high carb as you did. So not only does your kitty need less insulin, he may not be a cat that has a robust response to high carb. The frequency with which you were testing and how you were handling the lower numbers was great! Every cat responds differently to high carb. It's very good information for you. Now, you'll just need to see if that pattern is typical or today was a one off experience.

Oh, and it helps to remember that cats do not like to be predictable!

39. Diane Tyler's Mom

You did a great job keeping Watson safe Rosie :cat:
    I'm glad he finally came back up for you.
    Try and relax now :bighug: Congrats on the reduction . I hope Watson surfs safely tonight I hope to see you over in the Lantus Board tomorrow ,see my post #30 ,with how busy you were today you might have not gotten a chance to read it :bighug::bighug::bighug::cat:

40. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

His numbers did come up, and of course now they are too high, but it sure took a long time to get there. He will get dinner and insulin in less than an hour, and I am dropping him down to 1.75 units as best as I can tell from looking At the syringes that I have. I appreciate all the help and support you gave me today.

41. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

I actually made a hard copy of what you sent to me and I will look it over tomorrow when I am less crazy
    Thanks again for your help

42. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

Watson’s BG is now 400+, I served his dinner and hoped to reduce his insulin to 1.75 afterwards as recommended. He will NOT eat. What do I do now?

43. Diane Tyler's Mom

Do you happen to have any Parmesan cheese , if you do sprinkle a little bit on his wet food . Members have had some luck with that.
    What time are your shooting hours
    @Rosie Lass

44. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

No Parm but I’ll put it on the grocery list. He was due for a shot at 9:06. Should I give him the shot anyway?

45. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Sienne and Gabby (GA)
    @Wendy&Neko
    @Suzanne & Darcy
    @Bron and Sheba (GA)
    @Bandit's Mom
    Please read post #42, 44 and post 48 and down so you can get an idea what's been happening ,her kitty won't eat and
    Her shooting times are 9 AM and PM ,it is now 10:30 PM
    Rosie wants to know if she should shoot now
    If you look at her SS she had a tough time today ,bringing his numbers up
    @Rosie Lass
    I'm trying to get you some help Rosie, I hope someone will see this

Rosie add to your title HELP NEEDED WATSON WON'T EAT
    Put that before NEW MEMBER
    Tap on Thread Tools to the right, then tap on EDIT Title add it and then tap save

46. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

47. Diane Tyler's Mom

I can't believe no one is around, has he eaten anything yet, so now you are 2 hours late to give him insulin right?
    @Rosie Lass

48. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

@Diane Tyler's Mom
    Nope, not a bite. I’m thinking if I don’t hear anything soon I’m just gonna give him one unit because he still up there at 400+

49. Diane Tyler's Mom

If no one answers then just do that, you are 2 hours late though right?
    Lantus usually doesn't kick in until 2 hours after giving it, so hopefully he will eat something
    Jus t be sure to fill in his preshot number and put shot 2 hours late in the same cell or square.
    Did you maybe try crushing up some young again on his food?

Now you are going to be off schedule for tomorrow morning, we will have to see how you can back on track because I don't think you can shoot your usual time which is 9 AM correct?
    @Rosie Lass

50. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

@Diane Tyler's Mom
    OK, I caved and gave him 1/3 cup of the zero carb kibble and he is eating that. Actually, none of the cats will touch their wet food tonight. It’s a fancy feast, turkey, and giblets. Guess I won’t be buying that again. If he eats most of this kibble, I think I will be comfortable, giving him his insulin even though it’s gonna throw off our timing now

51. Diane Tyler's Mom

OK Good , how many units will you give ?
    Yeah but youncany you can't shoot at your regular time tomorrow morning which is 9 AM is this correct?

52. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

I used to do 10am and 10pm but I’m trying to get to him a little earlier. sometimes I wasn’t home until 10 but my hours are changing a little so 9 to 9 seems like it might work better because they are usually starved around seven I hate to make them last too long

53. Diane Tyler's Mom

Ok we are going to have to ask some members about that because you really can't shoot 2 hours early tomorrow morning at 9 AM .
    I'll ask the members
    You didn't say how many units are you going to give since he's eating a little still 1 unit
    @Rosie Lass

54. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

I’m eyeball it and it’s somewhere between 1.5 and 1.75
    The new needles with half marks comes tomorrow so I’ll get a better handle on it. His reading was still 400+
    I will do 11:10 tomorrow morning. Maybe I can creep it by 5-10 minutes For a few days if he’s eating better so I can get back to the earlier times and if not 11:10 will have to work. Maybe I could feed him a little earlier than 11:10 But hold off on the insulin. Again, thanks SO MUCH for all of your help today!!

55. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hurry up and shoot before it gets any later
    Take a look at this post about getting back on a 12 -12 shot schedule
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/getting-back-on-a-12-12-shot-schedule.101059/

Please read it ,it actually will give an example if you shot 2 hours late
    @Rosie Lass

You really should withhold food 2 hours prior to testing , because you don't want the BG to be influenced by the food.
    So if you plan on making your shooting times at 9 AM and PM
    You should stop feeding at 7 AM
    I mean if he's hungry then feed him something small ad 6:30 AM and PM

What a freaking day and night you had today.
    Let's hope tomorrow will be better ok :bighug::bighug::cat:

56. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

Shot went in at 11:10

57. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

I’ll print your note And the one you recommend tomorrow and look them over. I might have to change my times anyway because I am not up at seven in the morning if I have to quit feeding him two hours ahead of time. I normally get up between eight and nine and go to bed at one so maybe the 10 or 11 o’clock would work better for me.

58. Diane Tyler's Mom

Whatever works best for you Rosie, one favor when someone replies back to you can you just tap the like word to the right , just so we know you read it, especially if it's important.
    I'm usually up late to ,sometimes until 3 AM
    @Rosie Lass
    You never told be when I asked you what was Watson eating before you switched to the wet food
    @Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass likes this.
  59. Diane Tyler's Mom

I see you live in Michigan , I was there once in the month of Dec , Chelsea Mich. Froze my butt off and boy was it snowing .
    I was in a drug store and people were there waiting to pick up their prescriptions and heard me talking and asked me if I was from NYC .
    I said no I'm from New Jersey, they said I had an accent lol
    I said no you have an accent lol.
    I'm all Italian and from Joisey :p:p

Rosie Lass likes this.
  60. Diane Tyler's Mom

I'm going to get off for awhile , my eyes are bothering me from being on my tablet a lot today typing . I'll probably take/a peek later at your SS and I hope you post on the Lantus Board tomorrow . I'll watch out for you :cat:

Rosie Lass likes this.
  61. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

Watson has been eating the royal Canin glyco balance for a year along with blue Buffalo freedom kibbles
    Everyone else ate mostly fancy feast: Primavera, Florentine, Tuscany, Gravy lovers, creamy delights, and the ones with cheese added and flaked trout, and for kibble they also had the blue buffalo freedom, and my older girl ate the Purina One senior advantage indoor. I should also mention that all the cats ate out of each others bowl occasionally so Watson probably got a few bites of the fancy feast stuff too.

62. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

The Young Again kibble is low carb. If that's what Watson will eat, you're fine. Take a look at the FF Turkey ingredients. There may be something in there besides turkey that Watson and your other cats don't find appealing. If none of them would eat that flavor, it may be that FF changed the formula. Or, it may be they are all being picky. I would take a look at the food chart we use and see if any of the flavors your crew likes are low enough in carbs to feed everyone.

Also, can you start a new thread? We try to cap threads on Health at 50 posts. You may also want to consider posting on the Lantus board. We encourage people to switch to an insulin specific board once they have most of the basics mastered. The Lantus board is just as busy as help and there are members who are very experienced with using that insulin.

Rosie Lass likes this.
  63. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

Thanks! Is there an actual way to close this thread?

64. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Rosie Lass
    How are things going, I thoue you were going to start posting on the Lantus Board today :cat:

Rosie Lass likes this.
  65. Diane Tyler's Mom

You don't close it, if you were to post on the Lantus board today you link this post to today's , You can start posting on the lantus board today
    @Rosie Lass
    Remember how I told you to do it
    Here is the link
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-levemir-biosimilars.9/

To the right you will see post new thread
    You can say you were posting on the Feline Health Board before
    Introduce yourself and Watson
    We have a certain way to post there
    In your Title put
    Date Watson AMPS BG and any other tests you take after that ,and you can continue with the PMPS BG and any additional numbers you want to add.
    To do that look to the right you will see the word Thread Tools ,tap on that then tap in Edit Title and add your other tests
    always use @+ , not the time of day Then tap Save.

We like you to post everyday and then link your previous days post to the new one in case members need to go back and read something
    To post your previous days post it will be the one all the way up top, above the pic of that cat in the upper left hand corner , so if you post on the lantus board you will copy and paste it to your post for tomorrow. I suck at explaining this too low it's above //feline diabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new member do you see it ? You will copy and paste it to tomorrow's post .
    So you will always post your previous days post to your new one
    @Rosie Lass

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    Rosie Lass likes this.
  66. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

@Diane Tyler's Mom
    Sorry, I haven’t got to it yet. I had PT today And still have a few errands to run, so hopefully I will get to it before the end of the day. I did print out your instructions and how to get on the lantus thread So I’ll have them on hand

67. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

@Diane Tyler's Mom
    I think I posted the Lantus thread correctly but I don’t understand what you were saying about adding posts to my original one??

68. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Rosie Lass
    Hey Rosie I just did it for you go and look on your post on the lantus board do you see I copied your post from yesterday which was
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/help-needed-watson-wont-eat-new-member.289096/#post-3173120 all the way up top of here.
    You just copy and then paste it to your post on the post you did today on the lantus board . Then when you post tomorrow you will copy and paste your post from 4-24 to it . Let me know if you understand it OK :cat:
    @Rosie Lass

Your previous days post will always be in the URL all the way up top ignore where it says insert or cancel I'm just trying to show you where your previous days post will be

[​IMG]

Like I said
    your previous days post it will be the one all the way up top, above the pic of that cat in the upper left hand corner with the word Feline Diabetes and the picture of a bottle of insulin there, let me know if you understand it

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
    Rosie Lass likes this.
  69. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Rosie Lass
    Rosie did you see what I wrote above about linking your previous post?

Rosie Lass likes this.