Hello from Yoshi - Acrokitty

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Stressedcatmom, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Stressedcatmom

Stressedcatmom Well-Known Member

Hi all, I've been off the board for quite some time. Yoshi was pretty well regulated in 2021 - seeing blues and yellows. Dose ranged from 1.5 to 3u. I started to see numbers creep up a bit late last year and now I am at a loss. Marjorie was kind enough to set up my 2022 spreadsheet for me, so I've updated that for you. I don't have a 2021 spreadsheet, because I don't know how to create one. I could use some help there. I do have all the numbers in my Alphatrack and can update once I get that sorted.

The lowest number I've caught was 186 on 12/27 10hrs post shot. He was on 3.5 units then, and I reduced him to 3, thinking I missed a reduction point, but his numbers kept creeping back up. I talked to my vet and she advised to bump him back to 3.5 and since then I've been increasing but with no luck. I'm wondering if he was/is bouncing from the 200's?

12/26 324 amps 12/26 213 +4 12/26 +6 210 12/26 +7 244 12/26 pmps 303 12/27 +4 273 12/27 +10 186 12/27 amps 317

@Wendy&Neko or any other acro kitty advice is appreciated. I don't know if I should increase or drain the depot and start over?

Hope all of our old friends and kitties are well and Happy New Year to you all.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hi Jennifer, great to hear from you! How is Yoshi doing, other than his numbers? Has he has his thyroid numbers checked lately? I see that's new for him, and if hyperthyroid is not well controlled can lead to insulin resistance. It's also possible his acro tumour is revving up and he just needs more insulin.

Tagging Bhooma @Bandit's Mom who can help you get set up with a 2021 spreadsheet, if you'd like one. From what I see so far in 2022, he needs an increase. I can't see where you've missed any lows lately. I'd go to 4.25 units, and don't hold doses any longer than 6 cycles if you aren't seeing anything under 200.

"Drain the depot" just results in high numbers and is dangerous if kitty is ketone prone. Have you been testing for ketones lately?

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  3. Stressedcatmom

Hi @Wendy&Neko!! I’m so happy to hear from you!

Yoshis thyroid was last checked Nov 20. I’ve attached a synopsis screenshot from his last visit. His phosphorus has been high so I’ve been using Phos-Bind. He is pretty arthritic (for some thyroid blood draws he had to be sedated $$. They poke and prod his legs too much and he was NOT having it. I was happy to see that it was normal his last visit, because the blood draws were traumatizing for us both). I give him miralax to keep him regular and adequan .4 mil 2x per month.

He’s oldish 15 or 16 now. I need to check his baby records. — His quality of life seems good (much better when he’s regulated - when he’s high he sleeps a lot). He’s still, well Yoshi - a science experiment, as my dad used to say. But still my strong boy —-still talking to me, screaming when he’s hungry, knocking things over, terrorizing his brother etc.

I haven’t been checking for keytones. I need to get new strips. I am flushing him out by adding a lot of water to his food.

I’ll increase to 4.25 tonight and keep you posted.

4. Stressedcatmom

Looks like I can’t upload the file here it is copy and pasted

hope Yoshi is doing well after his visit. I have the test results back.
    • The blood pressure was normal.
    • The thyroid looks better going from 3.5 to 1.5. Our goal range is 1-2 so this looks great. Continue the current dose of the 0.15ml
    • The phosphorus is a little lower going from 5.9 to 5.6, but we would like it between 3 and 4.5. Let me know how much Phos Bind you are getting into him per day and I can advise.
    • The calcium was just slightly high. I am not overly concerned about this level currently, but if it rises, we may want to check a fasted ionized calcium to understand his active calcium status.
    • The kidney levels did rise slightly. This is common when we get the thyroid regulated because high thyroid levels mask underlying kidney disease. I know that we weren't able to get urine to confirm his kidney function, but I am highly suspicious that he was in Stage 2 (out of 4) Chronic Kidney Disease last time and even with the levels rising slightly, he is still likely in

5. Stressedcatmom

Stage 2…

They couldn’t get urine out of him because he was completely violent after the thyroid blood draw (no sedative) so I told them to leave him alone.

I do hear some stridor sometimes, and he can snore quite loudly sometimes, I did think the tumor was acting up again which is why I initially increased late last year.

I think that’s all our updates! Xo

6. Wendy&Neko

To add files (Upload currently broken), you can copy and paste into the text box, or if on a computer you can drag and drop. From your update, sounds like he's doing pretty well for an acro this long after diagnosis.:)

Is Yoshi on any pain meds? Neko's arthritis got really bad and Adequan (or our equivalent) was not enough for her. She got a lot less "cranky" when her pain was controlled by buprenorphine. I also gave her Rescue Remedy (a drop or two on a treat) before going to the vet, and sprayed her carrier with Feliway. Her regular vet called her "feisty". :p But it depended on the vet, she really liked her acupuncture vet - which she was also getting for arthritic pain.

I also had to change to lower phosphorus foods when Neko got her CKD diagnosis. Half of what I was giving her was already low P, so I just had to change the other half. Stage 2 CKD isn't bad, cat's can hang out at that level for quite a while. But it would be good to get his phosphorus lower.

Stressedcatmom likes this.
  7. Stressedcatmom

He has gabopentin, but to be honest I don’t give it to him much. Only before the vet. I was never sure if that increased BG.

He just came to me for his mid day snack. His stridor is pretty loud. It sounds like a cross between a loud purr and a pigeon. Thank you for saying he’s doing pretty decently after this long of an acro diagnosis. That means a lot. As you know it’s a bugger to handle, plus all of these other new ailments. No vacations for me in all this time because there is no way he’d let anyone else get near him to test or shoot (he was a feral kitten - someone found him in an alley and dropped him off to Anti Cruelty Society), but to hear you say we are doing well is worth it.

We have valued you and your knowledge immensely over the years, you are like our Acro queen shaman lady.

8. Wendy&Neko

Aww, thanks. :bighug: Anyone who takes in a formal feral is a hero in my book. And as you said, acrokitties are "complicated". Neko taught me a ton. We did take a few car trips with her to pet friendly hotels. I've also heard of people renting RV's for holidays or tent camping. Gotta take care of you too. You just do things slightly different.

9. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Jennifer, I can add a sheet for 2021 in your SS. Could you please send me the link you use to update your SS to me via a PM? Thanks! :)

Wendy&Neko likes this.
  10. Stressedcatmom

@Wendy&Neko hes not budging much. He hit a blue and I’m wondering if he’s bouncing? I started to give a fat 4.25 because the numbers were scaring me. Should I increase tomorrow am? Thank you!

11. Wendy&Neko

Blue is progress! He's probably bouncing now. I see a couple of fat doses in there. Remember, dose according to nadirs, not preshots. You can get some New Dose Wonkiness with increases, so it's best to pick a dose and stick with it for six cycles. Having said that, with just the one high blue, I think you can go to 4.5 units tomorrow.

12. Stressedcatmom

@Wendy&Neko I’m at a loss again. Could you look at his spreadsheet, please? I feel like he’s bouncing (the recent 400), and I’m not catching a reduction. Maybe the does is too high? Thank you

13. Wendy&Neko

Get any tests last night or the night before after PMPS? Without those it's just a guess. But I can say dose is not too high. Not even a hint of low blues, much less greens in there.

We do ask people to start a new post each day you have a questions/post, with a link to the previous for continuity. Otherwise posts can get long and harder to follow given the number of people we have posting on this forum.

14. Stressedcatmom

No tests last night. I thought I could take the night off since he was so high. I missed getting one the night before unfortunately. We will keep chugging away… I’ll be sure to start a new thread if I need more help.