? General Advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harold Kunzli, Oct 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harold Kunzli

Harold Kunzli Member

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Harold's numbers aren't unstable. He's bouncing! Many cats see lower numbers at night. Some cats are truly nocturnal and may be more active at night which may contribute to their BG numbers being a bit lower. However, you're beginning to see some of the same numbers during the AM cycle. Since we generally don't know how long our cats have been diabetic, when they start to see lower numbers, their liver and pancreas overreact because they think the low numbers, even if they are higher than normal range numbers, are dangerous. Their system has gotten used to the higher numbers. As a result of the lower numbers, the liver and pancreas release a stored form of glucose along with counterregulatory hormones. This causes the numbers to spike back upward. So you see the blues and some hint of green at night and by the AM cycle, numbers bounce back up into the pinks.

Harold looks like he's responding well to Prozinc. I would have gotten some additional tests after those mid-cycle green numbers, though. The 74 indicated the need for a dose reduction. I'm tagging @JanetNJ so she can have a look, as well.

I'm also going to ask @Bandit's Mom to take a look at your spreadsheet. The row numbers on the World Template and the US tab are not lining up. You have values for today on the US tab in row 102 but there's noting on today's date (row 104) on the World tab.

It will also help if you can manually enter the values that don't translate from the World tab to the US tab.

3. Harold Kunzli

Harold Kunzli Member

Thank you for all the info. I really don't know much and my vet has been little to no help with giving adequate info. I have been slowly moving all the info to new fresh sheet as the formatting has somehow seemed to get messed up.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Bhooma (Bandit's Mom) is a whiz with the spreadsheets! Just an FYI, anytime you use the @ sign on the World tab, it doesn't translate to the US tab -- you have to put the information in manually. I don't think it's a matter of the formatting.

As for your vet, they get surprising little training in diabetes in vet school and the training they do get, covers the gamut of species. We're all about feline diabetes all the time and this site has been around for 25 years. It's a huge repository of information. Please don't hesitate to ask questions. We're here to help.

Harold Kunzli and Biggietoms like this.
  5. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Can I ask why you chose SLGS instead of the Modified ProZinc Method? You certainly test enough for the modified method, and could help you get him a little lower during the day...but it does mean perhaps going a little lower at night

Per SLGS guidelines you would reduce to 2.25U. There was the 74, possibly another after the 99, and I suspect last night as well. That said, if it were my cat, I'd be inclined to hold the 2.5U dose to see how he does - provided you can keep testing the way you do at night, have a hypo kit, all that safety stuff

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

On the US tab, there's no 8/11/21 or 8/12/21 so there's the 2 missing lines

7. Harold Kunzli

Harold Kunzli Member

Mostly just ease and lack of understanding of the other methods. He is also generally home alone for 10 hours 5 days a week so I am not sure how safe that is. Are you able to send links about the other method? I move on the 1st and he will be home alone much less so maybe it is something I should start looking further into!

8. Harold Kunzli

Harold Kunzli Member

I am almost done transferring to a new document, will update link shortly.

9. Harold Kunzli

Harold Kunzli Member

So maybe once we are all moved I should look at switching methods? For now, is it safe to stay at 2.5 or should I reduce to 2.25?

10. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Ah I see. If it were my cat, I'd stick with SLGS for now and then reevaluate after you move. Here is a link to the methods.

Per SLGS guidelines you'd reduce to 2.25U. That 74 you saw doesn't give you a ton of wiggle room, especially if he's alone all day

11. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I'd probably wait until after the move too. There's enough to worry about without having to worry about changing your schedule or having your cat keep you up half the night but here's some information on "Can I do TR with a full time job"? that has some good ideas in it, even if you decide not to do TR later!

12. Harold Kunzli

Harold Kunzli Member

Okay, thank you everyone! I just finished re-imputing all the info into a new, properly formatted document. I will reduce to 2.25 tonight and reevaluate my dosing method once I am done moving!

Bandit's Mom and FrostD like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.