Gabapentin for arthritis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JanetNJ, Aug 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

CC was prescribed Gabapentin for her arthritis in addition to the adequan she has been taking. Her front left leg gives her pain and last night she had trouble putting it down. It's been raining a lot here the last few weeks. The leg pain has been preventing her from walking and playing the way she wants which has led to weight gain which of course makes the arthritis worse.

I gave her her first dose this morning. I was rooks to give half a 100 mg capsule twice a day. I asked about having it compounded to do a gel on the ear. She suggested to try the capsule first to see if it helps her first.

Wanted to know other people's experience using Gabapentin for pain. (I know some give it for anxiety before vet visits).

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I have never used gabapentin but I used to give Sheba a similar type of drug I think, called tramadol for her arthritis.. she had half a 20mg tablet night and morning and it worked well for her. No side effects and I'm sure her pain was managed because when it wasn't her BSLs would be consistently high. She also had adequan....although it was called a different name here in Oz.

JanetNJ likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

Yeah I'm wondering if some of my recent trouble regulating her has to do with pain. I know that front left leg hurts. I think @Larry and Kitties

uses Gabapentin on one of his kitties. Larry did you find your cat had any sleepiness or wobbling? Is half a 100 mg a high dose? Keeping in mind CC is 16.8 lbs. BIG girl.

4. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

The gabapentin helped Shoes' arthritis. His was compounded into a liquid by a compounding pharmacy. Just to make you aware, after a period of time on it, the dosage may have to be increased as a tolerance is built up in your kitty. But it does help. It made Shoes sleepy for a day or two in the beginning. It can also be compounded into a transdermal gel that you put in the inside of the ear flap. However, it can irritate the skin. I tried that at first and after 3 days, it caused some redness so I switched to the liquid. Good luck.

JanetNJ likes this.
  5. JanetNJ

674DCA69-78D6-4CF5-B9B6-EBB4C15C36D1.jpeg
    Ty! It’s really hard to give cc medicine orally. She put up a fight with the bupe after her dental. The capsule we can put in her food. Which is great unless she doesn’t wanna eat. I’d like to try the transdermal gel if she does well on it.

I can’t really tell if it makes her sleepy because she has Not been very mobile for a year ... she seems normal so far.

She’s definitely relaxed.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    FurBabiesMama and Shoeskitty-GA like this.
  6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I have gabapentin in tab form. It's triangular so it's tough to break into 4 pieces equally. But it crushes easily with fingers and I just mix it with little bit of food.

Olive when needed gets 1/4-1/2 pill (of 50mg). I give 1/4 every 8 hrs when she needs it. She might be a tad sleepy for the first hour but after a few doses that stops.

I think Wedgewood pharmacy has it in different forms. Others might also but I don't remember who.

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

My civi Moxie started on Cosequin, then added gabapentin, and finally added Adequan. I get the gabapentin 100 mg capsules from a human pharmacy and divide it into two gelcaps and give 50 mg twice daily. It works fine and I have seen improvement after each addition

Shoeskitty-GA and JanetNJ like this.
  8. JanetNJ

I did cosequin, then dasuquin, then adequan, then msm, now gabapintin. Hope it helps her

9. JanetNJ

Miss Thing got herself to the top of her cat tree tonight which I haven't seen in over a week so maybe her leg is feeling better. :). I just hope she doesn't hurt herself getting down

Idjit's mom and Shoeskitty-GA like this.
  10. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Phoebe takes 50mg 2x a day, am and pm. It made her sleepy when started but now she is ten feet tall and bullet proof. Lol nothing worries her except grandbabies

JanetNJ likes this.
  11. JanetNJ

Lol ok sounds good

12. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

If the gaba doesn't work, or makes her lethargic and sleepy, would the CBD oil be a consideration?

13. JanetNJ

I'd try it. Where do you buy it

14. Idjit's mom

I have been looking at sources online. I can't remember who on the board uses it now and got me interested. I think there are probably many different brands and levels of quality, but it seems that this might be an answer to chronic pain, anxiety or other conditions treated with Gabapentin like products. I have used Gaba when we have taken Idjit into the vet, because they think he is uncooperative (he is). But I don't like it that he's so drugged, he is unbalanced, droopy and lethargic. I use canna products on occasion for pain, and have been reading about the non THC products as an alternative.
    Ok, did a search and came up with Lizzie in Texas, Jayla-n-Drevon, and Kathy and Titi, using Canna Pet.

15. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

I use NuLeaf for Spot, one drop at a time (2.4mg per drop) directly onto his gums. I give him anywhere from 1-3 drops per day, depending on how he’s feeling. He is very intolerant of liquid being squirted into his mouth so I opted for a more concentrated/less tasty brand (it’s very stinky haha). We started off using PetRelief, which worked and tasted a little better but was much less concentrated so the daily dose was a full dropper or two... which Spot HATED! If you join the ‘CBD Oil for Pets’ group on Facebook they have a pinned post with a list of reputable companies and some discount codes too.

16. Idjit's mom

Thank you for that information. I don't have a FB account, would it be possible to get a copy of the pinned post of reputable companies for my research?

17. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

If you have the ability to create a FB account just for this, I highly recommend that you do. There is a lot of good info and people with similar experiences discussing what has worked for them.

Here are the brand recommendations copy/pasted directly from their FB post. Hope this helps!

———————————

️ RECOMMENDED BRANDS FOR U.S. RESIDENTS ️

a. NuLeaf Naturals offers CBD hemp oil drops for pets. Use promo code "cbdoilusers" for 15% off your order and free shipping.
    Link to NuLeaf's pets product: http://bit.ly/nuleaf-pets

b. cbdMD offers CBD hemp oil tinctures and treats for pets. Use promo code "cbdoilusers" for 15% off your order and free shipping.
    Link to cbdMD's pets page: http://bit.ly/cbdmd-pets

c. Lazarus Naturals offers CBD hemp oil drops at the lowest prices in the industry. Their tinctures can be used for both humans and pets. Use coupon code "cbdoilusers" for 10% off your order.
    Link to the Lazarus Naturals website: http://bit.ly/lazarusnaturals

d. 4CornersCannabis offers CBD hemp oil drops for pets. $5 flat rate shipping. Promo code: "cbdoilusers" for 10% off.
    Link to 4CC's pets product: http://bit.ly/4cornerspets

e. Highland Pharms offers CBD hemp oil drops for pets. Free shipping on all U.S. orders.
    Link to Highland Pharms' pets product: http://bit.ly/highlandpharms-pets

f. CBDistillery offers CBD hemp oil drops for pets. Use promo code "cbdoilusers" for 5% off.
    Link to CBDistillery's pets prorduct: http://bit.ly/cbdistillerypets

g. Myaderm has a CBD transdermal pain cream for pets. Use coupon code "cbdoilusers" for 10% off. Free shipping.
    Link to Myaderm website: http://bit.ly/myaderm

For wanting to buy terpenes to supplement their CBD oil products, we recommend True Terpenes: http://bit.ly/trueterpenes

RECOMMENDED FOR UK RESIDENTS ️

a. Cannawell UK offers CBD hemp oil drops for pets. They are the official EU distributor of Bluebird Botanicals' products.
    Link to the Cannawell UK pets product: http://bit.ly/cannawellUKpets

️️ RECOMMENDED FOR CANADA RESIDENTS ️️

a. NuLeaf Naturals offers CBD hemp oil drops for pets. Use promo code "cbdoilusers" for 15% off your order.

️ RECOMMENDED FOR AUSTRALIA RESIDENTS ️

a. NuLeaf Naturals offers CBD hemp oil drops for pets. Use promo code "cbdoilusers" for 15% off your order.

Armish & Roo and JanetNJ like this.
  18. Idjit's mom

Thank you SpotsMom, very much!

19. Cheetah78

Cheetah78 New Member

Hi. I am new to the site but I have Vader on Gaba, twice a day. I mix it in with her wet food and just pour the extra pate juice over it. She usually eats it. She's been on it for probably a year, maybe longer. It seems to help with her arthritis and I haven't seen any issues so far.

For CBD oil, I have been giving it to both my geriatric girls for awhile. Both do well on it. I am not using it for any particular ailment, but just to help with their overall health and longevity. Vader seems to do well, as the fur on the front of her legs she licked off is finally growing in. I also just mix in a drop with their food, twice a day. It's probably been 8 months and we are doing ok. I recommend it as an on-going su

Shoeskitty-GA likes this.
  20. SandrEric

SandrEric New Member

21. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Bert now has Gabapentin every day for pain; mostly once a day, but more often if he seems to be having a difficult day. Has been on it for about 3 months now.
    I wrap the pill in a bit of semi-soft cat treat and he usually eats that OK.

The only issue I've found with the Gabapentin is that it can actually make Bert a bit more wobbly on his legs, even while seeming to make him more comfortable. But the fact that he benefits from the pain relief means the extra wobbliness isn't such a big deal in the scheme of things.

22. JanetNJ

May seem strange but I think Gabapentin causes my cats numbers to stay up. Days I give it to her she's high and flat. Like yesterday. Days I don't give it she goes down, like today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.