Frustrated and Burnt Out

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by roxyboxy, Jul 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roxyboxy

roxyboxy Member

i tried to see if my vet had 1/2 unit syringes. they said they don't and that roxy needs the u-40 cos it goes with vetsulin... which doesn't make sense to me. i just bought a new bottle a week or so ago so i didn't want to waste my money by switching yet since this **** is so expensive, pardon my french. i don't even know which brand to switch to.
    i'm scared to tell them i'm planning on treating her myself, i don't know why. i was dreading this phone call and it feels like no matter what i do something else happens with roxy. i just want her to get stabilized and for things to get easier. this is so hard for me on top of my mental health. idk i just needed to get all of that out and i don't know what to do or why i'm so scared of the vet's reaction. maybe it's all in my head.

2. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

You're not alone and have nothing to fear. Aside from those first frantic weeks we all treat our cats ourselves, for the day to day stuff save your money. If your vet wants to help you get set up that's fine but we can show you how to do all the rest. If he's the type that insists on doing curves then he's just after your money.
    Believe it or not we've all been where you are now, tears at the vet's office, more tears at home and the "why did this happen to me?" I've had two diabetic cats and both lived happy lives, diabetes had nothing to do with their demise. Hoping you're feeling just a bit better now. :bighug:

roxyboxy likes this.
  3. roxyboxy

roxyboxy Member

thank you, i am feeling a little more relieved knowing i'm not alone. it's been rocky for about a month or so now. i'll have to tell them i suppose and ask for a different kind of insulin after doing more research.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Here's a place you can order U40 syringes with half unit marks from.

The other option is to use U100 syringes (which are available at your local WalMart for $12.58/100) and use the Conversion Chart

Noah & me (GA) and roxyboxy like this.
  5. roxyboxy

roxyboxy Member

omg thank you so much i really appreciate that!

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Remember, the vet works for YOU, not the other way around. If he doesn't want to work WITH you, let your fingers due to walking. Here are some Vet Interview Tips

I ended up sticking with vet #5 so trust me, you're not the only one who's had to go searching for a vet that will work with you instead of dictate to you. Yes, she was an hour away, but it was worth it.

roxyboxy and Noah & me (GA) like this.
  7. Noah & me (GA)

Chris has a valid point, the vet may have the diploma but we're the ones who do more than what's in a textbook. Vets all get roughly the same education but from that point on their own interests take them in different directions. Diabetes is a minor subject in vet colleges, thankfully my two vets took an interest and self taught themselves in more than what was just in a book. A lab coat and a diploma mean nothing without compassion.
    We all know about getting medical information off the internet but this is the one place where thousands of people share their practical experience. Whatever you do don't mention the internet, make up a name like The Journal of (fancy name in an unknown place) and remember that confidence is everything.
    Roxy is your cat and you'll regret forever making a decision you know is wrong. We're all volunteers and want nothing more than to help.

roxyboxy likes this.
  8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

roxyboxy likes this.
  9. roxyboxy

roxyboxy Member

thanks guys. the vet just keeps getting worse and worse i'm going to try and switch her.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  10. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

You'll be able to find a more supportive vet, even if he or she doesn't have great experience with FD. When my first cat was dx with diabetes, my vet simply told me to give him 2 units of insulin every 12 hours, and that was that. However, he never disrespected my decision to home test, and he left Jack's FD in my hands. He came to believe that l know what I'm doing and that works for me. As Chris said, your vet works for you, not the other way around.

11. Noah & me (GA)

I got lucky with a vet who called us twice a day for 14 days advising us on Nigel's dosage. In the years I've been here I've never heard that story again, for me it was just good luck. Our vet's dad was also a vet so she was born into it.
    The one thing ingrained into all of us since childhood is to respect the police, firemen and doctors. It's a hard thing to un-learn but the world has changed and we should all live by "Question Authority". Some doctors seem to be born with a chip on their shoulder, they're never wrong, don't dare question their judgment and my personal favorite, "It's doctor actually". What, your last name is Actually? Is that some kind of Slavic thing?
    You're free to choose the vet of your choice and your cat's medical records are your property. A vet who tells you otherwise needs to be reported.
    One last thing. I've had many great vets but first you have to deal with the veterinary technicians. Despite their two years of schooling I've had one who told me a unit was this many lines on the syringe (the wrong syringe). It's your cat's life you're dealing with, etiquette has it's place but not in an exam room.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.