? Freestyle Libre 14 - questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by StarburstMom, Jul 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarburstMom

StarburstMom Member

My vet wants me to get the freestyle libre sensor and I want to get it ASAP (they need to provide the prescription tomorrow). Anyone have experience with them? I briefly searched the forums and didn't find much on procuring them (can I just go to my nearest CVS and get one with the script?). Is the 14 version the best one? Also the vets office made it sound like they had issues using the phone app in lieu of the reader (one of their techs has a diabetic pet and lots of experience). I am bleeding money right now and would like to save a bit if possible, is the reader really necessary? Thank you all for all your help and tolerating my tons of questions this last week.

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

StarburstMom likes this.
  4. StarburstMom

StarburstMom Member

Thanks @Larry and Kitties ! How long did it take you to get the voucher? I need this on my cat pretty soon. All the places online look like it will take a week to get here, so trying to see if I can get a prescription for the online purchase and a local Walgreens

5. StarburstMom

StarburstMom Member

Starburst has her libre on now....kinda where her waist would be if she had one, toward the back. I'm worried she will get it off so I've put a dog "dress" on her...a seam goes over the libre....so now I'm wavering between whether I should just take it off (she obviously is not happy in it) and hope she leaves the libre alone or leave it on and hope she gets used to it and it isn't a big deal soon. Anyone go through this? I really need the libre to work some can get her regulated (first reading at 6+ is 455)

6. BooBoo

BooBoo Member

You got that quick! Mine has had his on for about 8 days , he’s wearing a medical pet shirt . It is supposed to be a onesie but I cut the bottom off so it’s like a top only, my vet put the sensor just back from his armpit - not as low down as waist maybe but out of the way of injection scruff etc. I also cut hole in it to do injections round usual scruff area. My libre doesn’t registered sbove about 27mmol (uk) . I have the freestyle libre 2, app only version. Kinda wish I had got the reader version - gives better/easier to read data I think. So far it is working, he not bothered about it and is doing well with the shirt. He has never worn anything nor even a normal collar in his life so he’s done well.

https://medicalpetshirts.com/products/mps-medical-pet-shirt-cat/

can also look for similar on Amazon , depends how active your cat is, but as long as it covers and fits the body below the sensor (ie not loose flapping) should be ok.

first day I was scanning loads - enlightening- then I realised as long as you scan at least every 8 hours you won’t miss data- the device captures it automatically so it will fill in the gaps when you next scan. Of course if you want real time and a glucose value there and then you scan also.
    I waited about 7 days for mine - direct from Abbot uk website, then had to go vets, sedated for fitting etc …

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    Reason for edit: Change
    StarburstMom likes this.
  7. Larry and Kitties

I received an email with the coupon within 5 minutes or so. I think it also appeared right away on the webpage after clicking on submit or whatever the button was labeled. .

StarburstMom likes this.
  8. BooBoo

BooBoo Member

StarburstMom likes this.
  9. StarburstMom

StarburstMom Member

Haha, thanks! I did order one from Amazon but it won't be here for 2 days. I'm going to swing by petsmart after work but I doubt they will ha e anything that works. If worse comes to worse and she gets it off in the next 2 days I have another one they can put on with the shirt....she will love that. I wish there was a way we could communicate to them that you have 2 choices....either this sensor (and leave it alone) or the ear pricks.....but of course my gal just thinks I like to torture her. She's very particular.

10. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

Do these seem to hurt/bother the cats? Is the procedure to install them painful? I’m just curious about how these work if you could share a little more?

11. StarburstMom

StarburstMom Member

The vet tech at my vet (she has a diabetic dog) did it, took about 15 minutes. My cat didn't seem traumatized after, she just wanted to go home. It is on her back side abdominal area (hard to describe). I didn't get the feeling that it was all that difficult or painful to get on. My cat is more mad that she's now wearing a pirate sweater (she started bathing around the sensor when I took off the dress)

Lauren & Red likes this.
  12. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

Thank you!

13. StarburstMom

StarburstMom Member

So I think the sensor just died. I haven't been able to get a reading for about an hour and it looks like the sensor is coming off (there is a gap between the sensor and the skin). I think we are good on not going hypo at current dose. Anyone know if I should leave it on or see if it lifts up to come off easily? I will call the vet on Monday and see about putting the other one on. I'm not going to be able to test bg daily so trying to get her closer to ideal

14. Larry and Kitties

When you scan the sensor what message to you get?

15. StarburstMom

StarburstMom Member

I was getting sensor error try again in 10 minutes but now it said the sensor has stopped working and to remove it and the reader is ready to sync with a new sensor. So yep, it's dead

16. Larry and Kitties

Same sequencer I received but mine lasted 13 1/2 days.

17. StarburstMom

StarburstMom Member

Do you remove them yourself when it's done? This one is half off but seems to be on pretty strongly on the other side. Hers was implanted in her abdomen/back area and I think normal movement made it slowly come apart.
    I plan on calling the vet tomorrow to install the other sensor I have and using vet wrap as well to hopefully help it stay.

18. Larry and Kitties

AFter I removed covering the cats quickly scratched them off. For the first one, which lasted 14 days, I took off wrap and them went into kitchen to get some olive oil to help remove the sensor and when I cam back Badger scratched it off. I wouod try applying some oil like coconut or olive oil. They do sell a remover solution but I do not remember the name.

19. StarburstMom

StarburstMom Member

I saw that video, thanks. Have put coconut oil around the edges but it still is half on. They used tissue glue so I am nervous to pull it off without adhesive remover. Thank you

20. Larry and Kitties

here is what Badger's skin looked like after he scratched it off:
    Skin aftern sensor removed.jpg

StarburstMom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.