Freckles - 4 years with Acro

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Judy and Freckles, Sep 17, 2023.

1. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

Hi everyone

Freckles and just wanted to stop by and say “Hi”.
    Freckles is doing well. She still has a ravenous appetite but other than that, she hasn’t changed much. The only treatment she’s received for the Acro Dx is insulin. Her numbers are pretty consistent and I’ve resigned myself to accept her higher numbers - it didn’t seem to matter the amount of insulin she received, she was usually in the 10-14 range (180-252). She has been getting 2 units Levemir 2x/day for quite awhile now. She still jumps on the counter scoping out any food that was left out and runs to the testing counter when it’s time.
    We haven’t had any problems with UTIs. I mix her food with a fair bit of water to keep things flowing though. Occasionally (1-2 a year) she will get cystitis and is treated with Corn Silk extract and Marshmallow root.

Never in a million years did I think she would still be with us with just being treated with insulin. She shares the house with 3 other cats and 2 dogs, so it is possible to coordinate things to manage food intake. Between a couple of automatic feeders and the other cats having a designated place to eat, things stay pretty consistent around here.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
    Reason for edit: Typo
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

That is a lot of insulin, 2cc is 200 units. My MurFee only got to 50 units twice daily.

3. Judy and Freckles

Oops.. it should read 2 units. ‍♀️

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hi Judy. :bighug::bighug: What a great Freckles report. Sounds like you are doing a great job with her. It's amazing to hear she's still got great mobility and jumping to the counter. :cool: Give that black and white girl some scritches on the chin from me.

5. Judy and Freckles

Hi Wendy

Well, if it wasn’t for the fabulous volunteers and moderators on this forum we wouldn’t be in such great shape - if any shape at all!

My sincere thanks to all who have helped my girl carry on to this point. She says “Thanks” every time she curls up beside me for a snooze and purrs.

6. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice to have such good news !