First day! Shoot or Not if Number below 200

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jia&Sabrina, Feb 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jia&Sabrina

Jia&Sabrina Member

Hi everyone!!

Sabina had her first insulin (0.5 unit lantus) injection this morning. Her AMPS is 269, then +1 287, +4 230, +6 245, +8 171, +10 215, +11 191. We are getting ready for her PM shot but her number is keep dropping. By +11.25 her number is only 176. Numbers are recorded using freestyle libre.

I understand that I should stall for 20 minutes to see if her number is still below 200. But would you please let me know if I should give her injection if her number is still below 200. Or should we decrease the dose to .25??!!

Any advice is very much appreciated!!! Thank you!!!!

2. Jia&Sabrina

Jia&Sabrina Member

OMG!!! I just realized that I made a huge mistake by not taking her food away!!!!! So she has been grazing the entire time....

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you got the PMPS BG yet?
    Amd it is with the alphatrak meter or the freestyle libre meter?

4. Jia&Sabrina

Jia&Sabrina Member

Thank you for your reply!

PMBG is 197 and it’s the freestyle libre. I’m not sure if I should give shot as she has access to food (my fault!!!!)

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

As she has had access to food up until PMPS, I think I would give her 0.25 units just to be sure....as long as you are able to monitor all this cycle (if needed) and have enough test strips and some high carb food and honey if needed.
    Is her appetite good?
    I would start off with getting a +1 and a +2

6. Jia&Sabrina

Jia&Sabrina Member

She has a good appetite and I have hypo kit on hand!

Just gave her a big meal followed by .25u of lantus. I’ll keep a close eye on her tonight.

Thank you SO MUCH for your advices!!

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

You are welcome.
    I will watch for updates on the BG.
    Tomorrow I would go back to the 0.5 U dose unless she drops low.
    Hold the 0.5 unit dose for 5 days to let the depot fill and stabilise.
    Are you free feeding?
    The other alternative is to offer some snacks during the first half of the cycles say at +2 and +4 and +6
    Remember to take the food up for the 2 hours preshot so the BG isn’t food influenced.
    It sounds like you are well organised! Lucky Sabina!:)

Can you put in the remarks column of the SS......’dose reduced at PMPS because BG was food influenced’ then everyone will know why it was reduced that one time.....thanks!

8. Jia&Sabrina

Jia&Sabrina Member

Awww, I was about to ask about dose for tmrw. Thank you so much for being so thoughtful to bring it up!!

In terms of feeding, we don’t have a fixed schedule. Sabrina prefers multiple small meals throughout the day and she is a grazer! She is unable to finish 1/4 of a 3oz canned food at a time unless she’s really hungry. -_- I learned my lesson tonight and have just set up daily alarm at 7 to take her bowls away.

Thank you soooo much again!!!

9. Jia&Sabrina

Jia&Sabrina Member

Hi Bron! I have been constantly checking her number and it’s dropping. Now from 190 to 160 and now it’s 137...

I understand that the must act number for human meter is 50. But I am a bit freaking out.... would you please let me know when it’s time for me to offer her a fancy feast gravy lover to stop the number from dropping too low?! TY!!!

10. Jia&Sabrina

Jia&Sabrina Member

When injected tonight my husband might have pushed too deep and injected the insulin into Sabrina’s muscle? T_T but we are not certain....

I just gave her five kibbles of Dr. Elsey. She got so excited and number jumped to 209..... 囧.....

11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Remember it is twice a day that the bowl has to be removed so set the alarm for 7 and 7.

The must act number on the human meter is 50, that is correct. That is when you get out the high carb food and or honey to bring the numbers back up again.

HOWEVER......if the numbers are dropping low in the early part of the cycle, you can give some higher carb food to bring them back up a bit especially if it is before the onset of the insulin, which is around +2 for Lantus. There is a difference if the BG is dropping early in the cycle to if it is dropping at the expected time of the nadir.
    As you are so early in this journey I would post and ask for help if you are at all concerned about anything. I would then change the subject line to something like “BG dropping from +1 x to +2 x ....help please.’ Or whatever’s is concerning you. We look at the subject line first and don’t necessarily go into the thread so best to alert us.

So where is she up to now with the BG? And have you got to +1 yet?

12. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Also just noticed you are feeding some dry food...Dr Esley....which I know is low carb.
    If you are feeding any dry food at all, you need to be following the Start Low Go Slow method (SLGS) so your take action number is 90.
    And if Sabrina drops below 90 you reduce the dose.
    Tight Regulation can only be used by cats that are fed exclusively a low carb wet diet and their reduction number is 50

Jia&Sabrina likes this.
  13. Jia&Sabrina

Jia&Sabrina Member

Those info are extremely helpful! TYTYTY!

Sabrina’s +1 number is 197. As for now it’s 192... +2 number will be updated in 20 minutes.

I read about muscle shot and understand that if insulin is injected into muscle it would be absorbed by the body way fast and cause low number. I wonder if it’s what has happened to Sabrina tonight...

In terms of food, Sabrina is on a low carb wet food diet. She is only given less than 10 pieces of Dr. Elsey daily as treats or topper. :)

14. Jia&Sabrina

Jia&Sabrina Member

Updating +2 number, 195.

At +1.75, Sabrina ate some Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys Shredded Chicken (11% Carb ME)

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.