Finally started insulin, couple questions

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Griffin the Siberian, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Griffin the Siberian

Griffin the Siberian Member

Hi and thank you to everyone on this board for the wealth of information!

Griffin was diagnosed a month ago (BG was 353 at last reading on Monday), but he had many issues going on at once - high blood pressure, UTI, and blood in the eye - so we were advised to work on managing the blood pressure before starting insulin. During that time, I transitioned both my cats over to wet food and we have a pretty good routine with that. We were given Prozinc and taught how to do the shot yesterday afternoon, so I am officially starting on this journey today. (We ordered the Alpha Track, but it won't be here until tomorrow, so I may go get the Relion from Walmart based on what I have read from this community.)

Today isn't going very well - I'm a little frazzled - and already have some questions.

Last night I was gone, so my husband needed to feed and give the blood pressure medication and eye drops. Apparently it did not go well and he was unable to give the medication. So this morning, Griffin was hiding and did not come out to eat breakfast and I had to go (gently) drag him out. He ate about half a can (50 calories) and went and hid again right away before I realized it. So I had to (gently) drag him out again to do his eye drops. I wasn't prepared very well (and a little nervous) for the insulin, so by the time I had it all ready to go, he had gone to hide again. I had to drag him out one more time to give him the shot. I think that part went well enough, he didn't react.

This excessive hiding is not normal, he is obviously not feeling well - likely due to missing his dose of medication last night. So my first question is how best to monitor for Hypoglycemia when he is laying very still under a couch/bed/piece of furniture all day?

Second is regarding the spreadsheet. I tried to learn about the dosing methods, but not really understanding SLGS vs TR? I added the 1u shot from this morning, and will learn how to do the rest once I have a meter.

We have switched to a vet that I feel will be great in helping me on this journey with Griffin, but I am so thankful to have this community for all the random questions I know will come up over the next couple of weeks. Thank you all in advance!

2. Griffin the Siberian

Griffin the Siberian Member

I have another question because Griffin hasn’t come out at all today. I physically took him to his food at lunch and he did not eat, but did drink some water, and then went back under the chair.

I am now getting concerned about giving him a second dose tonight if he isn’t eating. Should I just see if he will eat dinner and if he doesn’t, do skip the dose for this evening? Or if he does eat, will it depend on how much he consumes? He should have about 220 calories a day and so far has eaten only 50.

I feel so bad for him, he is just not himself! It’s been a long month and I just want him to start feeling better.

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'm sorry no one saw this post. In the future you could try tagging me or someone else to bring eyes to it. How are things going now? Sounds like he was stressed and not feeling well.