Finally some good news

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Howiesmom, Sep 30, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

So many of you have helped Howie and I since we joined the forum and when he was diagnosed with IAA and acro. This was through responses to my posts, reading about people’s experiences and what conclusions I could draw from them, research people have discussed, etc. THANK YOU!

Today was Howie’s senior wellness exam and bloodwork. I was most anxious about his kidney levels as his Phos and SDMA were trending high at his last exams. I’ve been diligent with feeding him only low Phos Weruva pates and mixing in fish oil. The work and expense has paid off! His SDMA went from 30 to 25 (still high but better) and his Phos went from 5.2 to 4.7! I was only hoping for stable numbers at best, so this was a happy surprise. BUN &CREA are also fine.

He also has some pretty significant arthritis in his hind end and shoulders/elbows. I tried Dasuquin and transdermal Gabepentin for pain relief but didn’t really see much effect. I talked to my vet a month ago about Solensia. He was just waiting on it to finally arrive to the clinic since it was being released in the States this fall. Well, it showed up to the clinic earlier this week and Howie was their first official patient to receive a dose! He wouldn’t even let his vet techs use it in their cats first. So he is anxious to see how Howie responds to it. I have a 2nd injection scheduled in a month as we know the first month may not produce much result.

It is always a journey with Howie as a very high dose kittie (34 units BID), but I wanted to share some good news finally and wish you all some good news in your upcoming vet appointments instead of the constant worries of what you find out next. If it weren't for this forum, (and a vet who really lets me drive this diabetic car), I wouldn't be in such a good spot with Howie!

Cheers and Happy Friday!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
  2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

So glad to hear he's doing well!!! I did adequan shots for arthritis for cc. It greatly improved her quality of life for several years.

Howiesmom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.