Feedback on Howie

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Howiesmom, Mar 23, 2022.

1. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Howie has been incredibly and surprisingly stable for more than 3 months. He’s been on 33 units BID since Jan. 10. I wish the dosage was less to save money, but at least he’s not stable at 45 units BID! He’s had a few days of higher #s (still below 200) so I’ve given him some R. I would just love some feedback on his spreadsheet. Anything I’m missing or should do? Yes, I know I should always do more night time testing so don’t need that reminder! Some days I think maybe trying to see what a decrease would do to see how he would react, but he has been so stable and regulated that I don’t want to rock the boat! If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!
    He has his senior wellness exam on April 4 just before he stays at kittie Shan-gri-la (pet lodge) at the vet clinic while I travel for work. He seems happy and healthy from all signs I can see and eats like a horse! He’s a little over 14 lbs I think and has been at .6mL of cabergoline. Is that still the right dosage for the 10mcg/kg? I never know how to really calculate it!

Tomorrow (March 24) is his 2nd birthday/gotcha day with me! He is my blessing (along with my 5 feral kitties I feed)!

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

14 lbs = 6.36 kg (divide by 2.2). The correct amount of cabergoline would depend on the concentration of cabergoline per mL of liquid.

Howie's numbers do look pretty good. For safety (and a bit less insulin, maybe one less syringe?) you might want to try him on 30 units the week before you go, just to see how he does with a 10% reduction. As for comments on the SS, I wouldn't give R if he's in the blues at night, and you aren't going to test any more that cycle.

Happy Annifursary tomorrow Howie! Sounds like you both hit the jackpot.

Howiesmom and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  3. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Yep. 14 lbs is a little over 6 kg. So 60 mcg is what it should be. Wendy is right about the concentration (I just noticed and scrolled up to what she said.)

I looked at his spreadsheet last night after I saw you post on somebody's condo. I thought... there she is! I had been thinking about you and Howie and tried to see if you had posted anywhere recently and that maybe I had just missed it. This keeps happening. I will check up on people and a couple of days later... they post.

His spreadsheet looks so fantastic. Stable is the word. That's good!

Howiesmom likes this.
  4. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

And two years! That's right... he was your pandemic kitty. Happy Family Day, Howie!

Howiesmom likes this.
  5. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

6. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

You are so sweet to always be checking in on people! I check the forum often but haven’t posted much except answering a few peoples questions here and there. I’m so sad to see so many GA posts lately.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

It can happen if there isn't much happening with the tumour. Neko sat at the same dose for 3 months one time. Her nadirs were where I wanted them to be. Check out Amethyst's SS, also on cabergoline. First 5+ months of last year at the same dose. Howie is pretty much under renal threshold, or at least what it is for most kitties, which is an excellent place to be.

Howiesmom likes this.
  8. Jay Dee

Jay Dee Member

Sending hugs for your baby and during your upcoming trip!!:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Howiesmom likes this.