Facebook & Messenger Outage

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Darnell & Sprocket (GA), Oct 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Darnell & Sprocket (GA) Well-Known Member

With facebook & messenger out I hope there are no hypos happening. In all the diabetes groups I am making a suggestion to tell everyone to have the cell number to at least 2 people that can help others when there is outages.
    If I needed help I would be freaking out right now. I hope all the kitties are safe right now.
    I dont have my sugar baby anymore but I am still available to help most of the time. I am not an expert but I can get someone through an emergency & hold hands (virtually). a So if anyone needed anything feel free to contact me anytime. 24/7. I will answer if I am awake & I still dont sleep more than 5 hrs at a time...lol. Bad habits die hard...lol.
    Wish all kitties safe!!❤

Pamela & Amethyst likes this.
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I know. I'm worried about our members in the Feline Diabetes group ....maybe this will get all the ones who "can't be bothered with the message board" to wise up and join.

3. Ann & Sister

Ann & Sister Member

And I thought it was just my phone...

4. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Hope so. I am here if you need me.

5. Canadian_Catty_Mama

Canadian_Catty_Mama New Member

FB outage is why I just joined ;)

6. Chris & China (GA)

That's great! Tell us about your sugarcat's!

7. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Apparently their DNS records were withdrawn from global routing tables

8. Canadian_Catty_Mama

Canadian_Catty_Mama New Member

I'm sorry - they lost their domain names ? (I've been out of computer stuff for decades, forgive me if I'm misunderstanding)

9. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Its not just you.
    @FrostD
    Can you say that in english for those of us that are computer idiots . ? Lol

10. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

The link that attaches domain name to the actual IP address is broken, yes. There's speculation if it was intentional ha no estimated timeframe for fix. If you know actual IP address theoretically can still get there, but that's a needle in a haystack.

Edit - when you type in a website name, behind the scenes there is the DNS "phone book" that tells your computer how to get to where you want to go. So, somehow Facebook (and Instagram, and WhatsApp) got removed from the phone book. Like if someone ripped out the page with you favorite pizza place - if you have the phone number memorized, you're good to go. Otherwise out of luck til you get it back.

11. Chris & China (GA)

But at least I'd know where the pizza place was and could either get in my car and drive there or get on their website and place an order and have Uber Eats or Grubhub deliver! One way or the other, I could get my pizza!...LOL

12. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Lol it was best I could come up with on the spot!

13. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Thanks for explaining.
    @Chris & China (GA)

I wonder if the IT guy here would know the IP address for the facebook group to put an alert out or check if any emergencies if anyone is on or before it happened?

14. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

I just signed into my Twitter & wrote a note if anyone needs help with a diabetic cat but I dont know much about twitter. Do I need to do a hashtag to reach anyone searching for help?

15. Chris & China (GA)

Facebook is back up but it's still acting weird. Can't always post or comment (or "like") so it's still being buggy but they're working on it. Messenger is working again too

16. Lanerd

Lanerd New Member

#felinediabetes #diabetes #diabetic #diabeticcat all would be good to just copy/paste in a comment to your tweet, or you can share or re-tweet your tweet with those hashtags! Also if you can take a look at my most recent post here that would be super helpful for me:)!!

17. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

I just tried to post also & it wont work.
    Oddly I am seeing a group also called 'Feline Diabetes'& its saying Join group. It says 466 members but its exactly the same as the Fd group. Maybe its part of glitch but check that later.

18. Chris & China (GA)

That's another group that's not very active ....several of us belong there but hardly ever post

19. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Oh ok. Odd that its exactly same name. I thought that wasnt allowed.

20. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

There’s a Facebook group now?! … or has there always been, and I just didn’t know? Not that I would be that helpful since I am in way too many Facebook groups now that I have a kid :joyful:

21. Chris & China (GA)

It's been around for a long time. Feel free to join! It's just "Feline Diabetes"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.