Eye discharge due to acromegaly?

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Christine and Pumpkin, Mar 7, 2022.

1. Christine and Pumpkin

Christine and Pumpkin New Member

My acro cat has a lot of eye discharge. Is this from acromegaly? I wipe with warm water and tissue but is there anything else that can help?

2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

@Wendy&Neko has said that Neko had some eye discharge due to overgrowth of tissue in the tear ducts. She can elaborate on this for you.

Is Pumpkin’s discharge clear liquid? If not, I might suspect something else going on.

For other chronic eye discharge problems, I have used Viralys L-Lysine supplement mixed in my cats’s food. Most recently, I had a great response to it in my FIV cat. I also mix it into my feral cats canned food and it helps their runny eyes a lot. There seems to be a lot of herpes virus out there.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

If it is just clear discharge, could be soft tissue growth blocking the tear ducts, meaning excess tears cannot drain and spill over. Nothing you can do but wipe it, though treating the acromegaly might help. Neko just had one eye weep, and it got less frequent after SRT. And was also better when she got out of higher BG numbers.

5. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Thanks, Larry. I will look into it. My cats really like the flavor of the Viralys and will eat their food with it in there so I have just kept on using it.