Emergency preparedness

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Allison K, Jul 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allison K

Allison K Member

Something that I have been thinking about lately because of all the wildfires (tornados and other weather) … how my plans need to change now that I have pets with special needs (diabetes for the cat and pancreatitis for the dog). Just thought it might be useful to start a discussion on here … Keep in mind where measurements are given, I am using metric because I am in Canada. Most information I saw for US & Canada suggest to have at least 3 days worth of food & water.

1 gallon is approximately 4 L for reference to water

What do we need to prepare:
    • Food (canned food has different things to think about than kibble for storage particularly)
      • For canned, also include can opener if not "pop top" cans
    • Medication (insulin storage if fridge is not an option for example)
      • Sources suggest 1-2 weeks worth, but 3 days at least
    • First aid supplies (beyond needles for the insulin of course)
    • Waste disposal (litter and poop bags as well as pee pads maybe)
    • Crate or carrier
    • Water (4L/day per average dog, 1L/day per average cat)
    • Cleaning supplies (paper towels, towels/cloths, disinfecting wipes, etc.)
    • Hypo kit
      • High carb and maybe medium carb food (wet and dry)
      • Sugar source (honey, karo/corn syrup, maple syrup)
      • Bulb for rectal administration of carb source (& lube)
      • Syringe for feeding
      • Extra testing supplies (testing every 10-20 mins. on average)
      • Emergency sugar source for Human (chocolate)
    • Backup glucometer
    Am I missing anything? Treats, toys, bedding …

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  2. Allison K

Allison K Member

If you are going to be "sheltering in place" there may be other things to consider for the entire family unit, but I was mainly addressing the pet stuff. I know I have seen people suggesting Frio pouches, but when I asked someone from DCIN whether something like that might be worth getting, they suggested that they do not keep the temperature cool enough for insulin storage. Just thought I would add that.

3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I have used the Frio wallet several times and they worked great, especially if there's no electricity or ice. I'm a case manager with DCIN and plan to discuss this with them.

ETA---we've even bought them for clients in the past.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  5. Allison K

Allison K Member

Well it was the case manager for Canada (or Ontario?) I was speaking to .... was surprised with them being advertised as being designed for insulin and similar products. Not trying to get anyone in trouble ... just confusing information is all

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  6. Chris & China (GA)

That makes some sense then. Not a whole lot of hurricanes make it to Canada. The clients we have bought them for live in the south and south-east US where they can be out of power for days and unable to find ice or refrigeration.

No worries! It's a good idea to remind people before hurricane season really hits (although we've already had one that I guess didn't notice it was before the "season"....darn things just won't read the rules!....LOL)

Of course there can be other types of emergencies where a Frio might be helpful but we can't buy them for every client just on the chance they get hit by a tornado but generally, people will have access to ice and/or electricity in time to take care of their insulin and if for some reason it does get left out, most of it is stable for at least 28 days without refrigeration (probably longer in real life) and we could replace it in time.

7. Allison K

Allison K Member

Well for us, we have had at least once the hydro was out for for several hours .... or in winter when power outages are more likely (though then keeping things cold is not as much an issue). My biggest confusion was seeing the product and the person telling me they will not keep insulin at the right temperature (though for humans, they do not refrigerate the actively being used pen)

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  8. Chris & China (GA)

Yeah, there are several of us that have used a pile of snow for our "refrigerator"....it works but you have to be careful that the insulin doesn't freeze!

9. Allison K

Allison K Member

Any further ideas for emergency preparedness?

10. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Your Pharmacy are the only right ones to ask about which medications and insulin that should be kept cool. Ask them about that.

You need warm quilts for them too. Or Winter Jackets. So they keep warm and dry.

For dog https://lcpshop.net/product/warm-do...GOqyCh3fCAk6EAQYCiABEgJd3vD_BwE#googtrans(sv)

For cat https://www.tinybuddy.se/products/h...MI6fbu5PP68QIVGOqyCh3fCAk6EAQYEiABEgJTU_D_BwE

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

There was a discussion regarding this topic on the Community board.

12. Allison K

Allison K Member

13. Allison K

Allison K Member

Would something like this work for a cat (if sized correctly). I keep thinking a small lap blanket might be best for him, if only to drape over his carrier. With his tendency for him to pee in his carrier, I am not sure about putting a blanket in WITH him though.

14. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You can wrap a blanket or towel in pee pads to protect it or even put it in a trash bag and put a pee pad on top.

15. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Yes, those two water and wind proof dog and cat sturdy cold jackets, they're not made in Sweden, so I am sure one can find them on their brand names in Canada/U.S.
    The one you found too, but in fleece, looks good too.

They have to be safe and easy to use, and in Sweden we are very concerned about that. If you add the medical treatment need to them too, you want those who have an easy managable neck part, if you have to give kitty insulin shots and take bg's.

16. Allison K

Allison K Member

Something I wondered after revisiting a few websites I had bookmarked on starting emergency preparedness, is whether food like [​IMG] these would be suitable .... as it is single serving so nothing needing a fridge.
    @Chris & Lucy

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    smorgasbord likes this.
  17. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, those would be great. And they are made by more and more companies now. Don't know what carb % they are, but surely not that bad in an emergency scenario.

18. Allison K

Allison K Member

I was trying to think of something that was (a) single serving so no fridge needed and (b) diabetic friendly

19. smorgasbord

Yeah, good find. They are pate, so probably LC, huh? My cat won't eat the Sheba ones I tried. But in an emergency he's gonna eat it, and he's GONNA LIKE IT! lol

20. Allison K

Allison K Member

Based on the BalanceIt.com site .... for the Chicken one I pictured and same for Turkey:
    upload_2021-8-8_16-38-7.png
    For the salmon, which would no doubt be my cat's FAVORITE:
    upload_2021-8-8_16-40-50.png

21. smorgasbord

Cool. They look like winners.

Allison K likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.