Ear Prick Question & Calorie Question

OneSebastian

Member Since 2026
Ear Pricking Question help, please!

If we’re testing 4+ times a day does that not hurt his ears eventually? I do rotate between the two but just wondering. Also I know the caution of don’t hit the main vein, most things I’ve seen tend to say around the top of the ear in the little gap spot. Where all is actually safe?

Also I’m currently feeding 8am, 12pm, 4pm, 8pm all 1/2 can of FF. Sometimes he doesn’t completely finish so I’ll give it back to him an hour later. I slip some treats in throughout the day too.

Is 4 1/2 cans enough?? He doesn’t tend to want more.

I’m just worried because I read 20 calories per pound, he’s 13 pounds so he should be around 260 calories? FF is around 80 to 100 calories a can. That only 180-200 calories/day. Is that okay?
 
I have been testing Corky in the same ear since 2023, unfortunately his right ear's vein is very thin, and it's ok, the capillaries will swell with time, and it does not hurt, just make sure you do not prick thru the ear, so prick sideways,
take a small sock fill the end with rice, tie it, about a golf size ball, place in the inner ear to have a grasp on the ear by holding the tip of the ear with your finger, , feeding 4 times a day is sufficient, remember you should not feed anything two hours prior shot, go to Corky's spreadsheet scroll to the left, and you can get an idea on how, when and how much to feed, I also feed Corky and Coco 1/2can in each meal, Corky is a very large cat 16.4lbs and Coco is 1/2 Main Coon and weights 20lbs the only snack they get is at +2.5 two and a half hour after shot, that's when the insulin kicks in his system, to keep the insulin in check then every 4 hours, and his PMPS is 6 hours before testing, feeding shot, the picture of Corky's ear is the 4 years of pricking, I just went down the sweet spot up and down the sweet spot and back, Coco is my white and black baby, and Coco is the Tabby
 
Last edited:
He
IMG_6282.png
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6281.png
    IMG_6281.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6257.jpeg
    IMG_6257.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
Thank you!
I have another question.
We pick his insulin up first thing Monday morning.
I currently just started the diet. Today is day 2.
Last night his last snack was around 10pm. We pricked him this morning 8:15am prior to 1st meal and it was 288gm, just now before 2nd meal 12:45pm it was down to 143mg. Is that okay and normal to fluctuate that much in 4 and a half hours.
Also note he acts completely fine. Outside of the pricking being new to him.
 
That's great, now for what I have learned about Lantus, is suggested for newbies to post us prior shot if BG is 150 or lower, please make a new Thread in the Lantus Forum and title it "LOW BG 150 BEFORE SHOT" there is drop down box before the title, click on it and 911 it, I am sure there will be attention to that thread right away from a member that can give you dosing advice, so test 2 hours prior shot, always, and then just before shot, remember the protocol is test-feed-shoot, most of us members shoot while our cat has his face in the bowl, just go behind him pick up the scrub, and shoot down, not sideways, this is to avoid a fur shot, if you get a fur shot you can tell by the smell of the fur and wet fur, BUT DO NOT SHOOT AGAIN! there is a possibility some insulin went in, so we do not want to have a hypoglycemic episode.
Could you please create the Spreadsheet before you begin insulin? we are very numbers oriented, this way we can assist you with dosing advice, as well as you can see how the insulin works daily in the system ;) 🫶

Also please have a HYPO KIT handy, link below
Sticky - How to treat HYPOS - THEY CAN KILL! Print this Out!!
 
That's great, now for what I have learned about Lantus, is suggested for newbies to post us prior shot if BG is 150 or lower, please make a new Thread in the Lantus Forum and title it "LOW BG 150 BEFORE SHOT" there is drop down box before the title, click on it and 911 it, I am sure there will be attention to that thread right away from a member that can give you dosing advice, so test 2 hours prior shot, always, and then just before shot, remember the protocol is test-feed-shoot, most of us members shoot while our cat has his face in the bowl, just go behind him pick up the scrub, and shoot down, not sideways, this is to avoid a fur shot, if you get a fur shot you can tell by the smell of the fur and wet fur, BUT DO NOT SHOOT AGAIN! there is a possibility some insulin went in, so we do not want to have a hypoglycemic episode.
Could you please create the Spreadsheet before you begin insulin? we are very numbers oriented, this way we can assist you with dosing advice, as well as you can see how the insulin works daily in the system ;) 🫶

Also please have a HYPO KIT handy, link below
Sticky - How to treat HYPOS - THEY CAN KILL! Print this Out!!

That's great, now for what I have learned about Lantus, is suggested for newbies to post us prior shot if BG is 150 or lower, please make a new Thread in the Lantus Forum and title it "LOW BG 150 BEFORE SHOT" there is drop down box before the title, click on it and 911 it, I am sure there will be attention to that thread right away from a member that can give you dosing advice, so test 2 hours prior shot, always, and then just before shot, remember the protocol is test-feed-shoot, most of us members shoot while our cat has his face in the bowl, just go behind him pick up the scrub, and shoot down, not sideways, this is to avoid a fur shot, if you get a fur shot you can tell by the smell of the fur and wet fur, BUT DO NOT SHOOT AGAIN! there is a possibility some insulin went in, so we do not want to have a hypoglycemic episode.
Could you please create the Spreadsheet before you begin insulin? we are very numbers oriented, this way we can assist you with dosing advice, as well as you can see how the insulin works daily in the system ;) 🫶

Also please have a HYPO KIT handy, link below
Sticky - How to treat HYPOS - THEY CAN KILL! Print this Out!!
Thank you!
I will do that!
The only problem I have is, it’s not reasonable to be able to test him 2 hours prior to his first shot everyday. That’ll be 6am, I work 4 10’s so I need that sleep. I can and will definitely test prior to the shot but it would have to be right before. Is that going to be bad?
 
As long as you post with enough time before shot for a member responds to your post, the shot can be stalled until you get a response, which I’m sure it will not take long
 
The only problem I have is, it’s not reasonable to be able to test him 2 hours prior to his first shot everyday. That’ll be 6am, I work 4 10’s so I need that sleep. I can and will definitely test prior to the shot but it would have to be right before. Is that going to be bad?

Hi Markus! This is Chris from the Facebook group. Saw your numbers today when it looks like you did the test (test when he hasn't eaten for 2 hours, feed then test about 3 hours later) and it seemed to show his pancreas may be trying! (for the other members who don't have access to this information:
1790530100856.png


You don't have to test him 2 hours before you feed. If his breakfast is around 8:30, then just make sure he doesn't eat anything from 6:30-8:30. You can either pick the food up or a lot of people use an auto feeder like the Cat Mate C500 and set it to open a couple of times overnight for snacks but have it rotate to an empty spot 2 hours before shot time would be.

Then you Test/Feed.....all in a couple of minutes......then test again in about 3 hours.

It does look like he may need a tiny dose of insulin, but if it's only been 2 days on the new, low carb diet, I'd continue for another few days. If he does end up needing a little insulin we'll help you learn how to do microdosing. Lots of us do it so it's not as hard as it sounds.

Looking pretty good, especially for not being on insulin yet. (Also make sure there's nothing else he can get into that might spike his glucose like another cat/dog's food)

YOU CAN DO THIS!
 
Back
Top