Dose advise - insulin in 1 hour

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cris & Wolvi, Nov 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cris & Wolvi

Cris & Wolvi Member

Hi all
    Could you please take a look at Wolvi's SS
    In 45 minutes it's shot time and I really don't know what to do.
    In his SS you have a tab for freestyle Libre.
    you have the BG on tab 2021
    Thank you

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
  2. Cris & Wolvi

Cris & Wolvi Member

At PS he was 140 on FSL and 128 on countur next one and instead of the usual 2U I gave him 0,8U.
    I'm really nervous

3. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

You don't have a method listed, I know we mentioned them before, so by default I assume SLGS reductions at 90. So today he definitely earned a reduction to 1.75U. I think 0.8 was a good call. Please start with a +1 and +2. I won't be around, so: if he's flat or rising, retest in 2 hours. If you see a drop of 30 pts or less give a little LC. A bigger drop, feed 1-2 tsp MC and retest in an hour.

If at any point he's in the 50s, 1-2 tsp MC retest 30 mins. Repeat until in 60s (no food if 60 or higher).

If in 40s, 1-2 tsp HC. Retest in 20 mins. Follow note above until 60s or higher. 30s is 2 tsp HC plus a drop or two of karo, retest in 15. Follow steps above til in 60s.

Cris & Wolvi likes this.
  4. Cris & Wolvi

Cris & Wolvi Member

Hi

He Has a Freestyle Libre - I'm kind of testing him every hour

TY for your help

FrostD likes this.
  5. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

It looks like you may be breaking through some glucose toxicity. Earned another reduction even on a token dose.

I would make your new dose 1U, and only shoot that if 160 or higher (assuming you can monitor). 130-159, I'd go 0.5U (also assuming you can monitor). Under that is up to you...stall without feeding until he's at a number you're comfortable shooting, or a dose like 0.1U (as best you can guess on the syringes you have). I would not shoot 110 or below right now.

Does he have a history of ketones or DKA?

Cris & Wolvi likes this.
  6. Cris & Wolvi

Cris & Wolvi Member

Thanks for your answer.
    I think that I don't understood what you say... maybe because my English is not good enough.

I understand what you sugest to do but don't understand the reason.

No history of ketones or Dka

7. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Ah sorry! I usually try to use words that Google Translate can easily translate if needed. Hopefully this works.

Glucose toxicity is when blood glucose is high for a long time, which hurts the pancreas.

As insulin shots start to bring blood glucose numbers down, the pancreas starts to heal. When this happens, the pancreas starts to work again and make it's own insulin - this means you have to give less insulin in your shots.

It looks like that is what is happening with Wolvi - his pancreas is starting to work again. So you don't need to give as much insulin. Per the SLGS guidelines your new dose would be 1.25U, but I want to be more cautious and say 1U. And hold that dose for a few days to see what happens - if he keeps going low even that may be too much.

Cris & Wolvi likes this.
  8. Cris & Wolvi

Cris & Wolvi Member

Ohhh thanks. Now I completly understand.
    It looks like what happened in 2019 when he went OTJ.

FrostD likes this.
  9. Cris & Wolvi

Cris & Wolvi Member

Good morning
    Now at Amps he is 422
    I will give him 1 U

FrostD likes this.
  10. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Bouncing! Hopefully comes down soon

Cris & Wolvi likes this.
  11. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I would have done 1.75... Maybe 1.5. But it's fine you went more conservative with the 1. I like those nice, healing blue low blue and eventually green numbers.

Cris & Wolvi likes this.
  12. Cris & Wolvi

Cris & Wolvi Member

@JanetNJ
    Ty I was so happy with those blue and greens and this morning.
    Now he is 321 (+3)

I will go for 1.5 just in the middle between your sujestions ladies.

Thanks once again @FrostD and @JanetNJ

JanetNJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.