? Dora - running high again?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dora the Explorer, Aug 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dora the Explorer

Dora the Explorer Member

Link to last post: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dora-bg-high-stress-or-sick.233477/#post-2609224

I hope I’m following all the rules. Dora has been traveling back and forth to our new beach house which has caused a bit of stress. However she loves it there and enjoys being the only cat. The past few days back home she’s running consistently higher again. My plan is to do a curve tomorrow - we can’t commit to every two hours today but just grabbed a +3.5 and she was 425 - and check in with the vet. Will I need to increase her dose? I’ve been holding steady as she’s had some good numbers and I think she’s on track then - high again. I change out her insulin every three months and we have one due to arrive in two weeks. Could that be it?

I’m feeling badly for not having success with her. Am I being too laid back with her insulin? Do I need to curve once a week? I thought with all the upheaval maybe stress was a factor and she’d stabilize. I have four other cats and we leave them at home when we go away. Dora LOVES being the only cat but she gets all defensive and wide eyed again when she’s back at home.

Thanks as always -
    Jane and D

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I think this says it all. :oops:

Dora the Explorer likes this.
  3. jt and trouble (GA)

Have you ever tried Feliway? Its a calming agent. Kind of expensive but from what I read here mostly helpful.

4. Dora the Explorer

Dora the Explorer Member

Not recently but when Dora first arrived about five years ago she upset the balance in the house and I did try it to calm my other cat, who Dora would bully. It didn’t have much effect; I ended up putting one of those calming collars on that cat and she did well. Not sure I’d want to do that with always piercing Dora’s skin. I just hope she stabilizes soon or she may need a dose increase. It upsets me because initially she responded to just one unit and then we messed her up by going to once per day (at the vet’s recommendation) and have been seesawing ever since.

5. jt and trouble (GA)

Yeahhh smh vets :oops: fwiw i thought an increase is needed BUT DONT GO BY ME. I'd be on here asking too.:confused:

6. Dora the Explorer

Dora the Explorer Member

Thanks! Sad about it but maybe. We are home for several days and with the storm coming through on the weekend maybe we won’t go down this week at all. I’ll see how she does on the curve. She also may have eaten before some of the readings since I keep forgetting to take up the food. Can’t wait to have the new insulin to make sure that’s not a factor. I also switched syringes at one point to the one with the 0.5 markings and her numbers went up. I may be giving more like 1.7 and that’s part of the reason. If so she’ll need a few days to correct. I switched back until she stabilizes.

7. jt and trouble (GA)

Good luck for a better day and maybe get those patience pants out!:p

Dora the Explorer likes this.
  8. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Jane,

I'm tagging Elise (@tiffmaxee) to ask her to give Dora's spreadsheet a once-over next time she is around and hopefully give you some helpful suggestions.

Mogs

9. Dora the Explorer

Dora the Explorer Member

Thank you! Much much appreciated!

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. jt and trouble (GA)

GO TO BED Mogs!:bighug:

Critter Mom and tiffmaxee like this.
  11. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi. She’s been on this dose way too long. Can you do a 12 hour curve? When following SLGS once a week you are supposed to do a curve testing every 2 hours for 12 hours. You have gotten mid cycle tests and they are too high. Glucose toxicity can set in if kept in a dose too long. If my cat I would increase to 1.75.
    Please reread the SLGS METHOD.

12. Dora the Explorer

Dora the Explorer Member

Thanks! I didn’t know that. I’ve read SLGS many times but she’s had a few normal numbers and I’d think, well, she’s high due to stress, or because I skipped, etc. We plan to do a curve tomorrow. I had to go to work today so we did a couple of tests and she’s been in the high 300s after her 425 this morning. If no change tomorrow then I’ll start her Friday at 1.75. Not sure what’s going on with the difference in the two syringes. I’d much rather use the shorter needle with the 1/2 markings but I’m not sure what I’ve been dosing that looks like 1.5 to me on the other. Thank you!

13. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.