Do I shoot, lower dose, or wait

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Debra Pratt, Sep 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debra Pratt

Debra Pratt Member

BG is 200 preshot. Do I give her her insulin or do I reduce the dose or do I wait and retest? She has never been this low preshot. Asked this on Prozinc thread as well.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

She is high enough for full dose. You can stall feeding and check in 20 if you want to raise it a little though since it's lower than you're used to.

3. Debra Pratt

Debra Pratt Member

So I decided to wait because how much she drops after her shot. And now she 172.

Panic and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

wow blues @Panic does this mean a reduction? Debra I'm learning too :p

Debra Pratt likes this.
  5. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Well she hasn't "earned" a reduction but I'm impressed to see the numbers heading down without a shot! Though she might technically have earned a reduction a couple days ago with that 99. I think 100 is the "90" of pet meters. It might be wise to drop to 1.25u?

6. jt and trouble (GA)

Thanks Eliz... you'd think with all the reading here, something would sink in this lame brain! :rolleyes:

7. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I don't know Jeanne, I feel like I miss stuff half the time! :woot: Like that 99 from the other day!

8. jt and trouble (GA)

Ya Know? Ive been trying real hard to learn but with so many different variables and for someone thats dyslexic and no diabetic cat in the house its pretty intimidating.

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

That's how I feel right now with Lantus! It was okay learning things when I had Panic but now it feels like I got cut off from the learning center. I feel unqualified to offer advice sometimes since I didn't "win the war" or have an OTJ party. :oops:

Sorry Debra, didn't mean to derail your thread. :rolleyes:

10. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Just had a look at Bitsy's spreadsheet. The 99 was a human meter reading. (Debra swapped over a few days ago according to the SS.)

@Debra Pratt -

Sometimes members don't open the spreadsheet and use just the signature info to interpret BG numbers included in posts. When you get a moment, Debra, it'd be great if you could update your signature to show you're now using the Relion Prime. :)

Mogs

11. Debra Pratt

Debra Pratt Member

just changed it didn’t realize I never changed it.
    Though now I am having a problem in getting her sugars to come down. She was at 527 this morning preshot; which I expected as we skipped shot last night; but now +5 her sugars are still in the 500s with next to no decrease at 513. Have a call I’m to the vet as I am concerned seeing as she isn’t eating much either.

12. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

You're right Mogs - I just glanced at the top where it said Alphatrak.

Tagging @Bandit's Mom , she is helping with spreadsheets. You'll want to switch your SS over to the human meter one so it doesn't say Alphatrak across the top.
    Are you checking for ketones? She's probably still bouncing from the low numbers last night.

13. Debra Pratt

Debra Pratt Member

Unfortunately, I have been unable to test for ketones as the stores by us I haven’t found them in. I even checked today. Hoping tomorrow I might be able to order the blood ketone meter from chewy.

14. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Really? That's surprising Walmart is out. 0:

15. Debra Pratt

Debra Pratt Member

Yeah I checked 3 different Walmart’s by me today and yesterday and no luck. She seems fine other then not really eating much and her sugars not coming down. Debating on whether to give her fluids that I have at home to try and bring them down. Especially as that has helped in the past. Just not sure. I did call the vets office and they are talking it over with the dr to see what we should do.

16. Debra Pratt

Debra Pratt Member

You could be right it could be a bounce. But how do I convince her to eat if that is the case.

17. Critter Mom

I know that BBK meter strips are pricey but it makes monitoring soooooooooo much easier.

Mogs

18. Critter Mom

Any signs of nausea?

Nausea Symptom Checklist

Also, any chance Bitsy might be constipated or have a respiratory infection? Those are two other common reasons why kitties become reluctant to eat. If the latter is a problem, warming the food can help make it more 'aromatic'.

Mogs

19. Debra Pratt

Debra Pratt Member

Gave Bitsy some fluids and finally am getting her to eat some. Hopefully, the fluids and eating will at least perk her up some.

20. Debra Pratt

Debra Pratt Member

I don’t think she is constipated, maybe the opposite as she has been having some diarrhea since we changed foods. She is eating some now, so fingers crossed.

21. Critter Mom

Glad she's eating something, Debra. :bighug:

Mogs

22. Critter Mom

That might be making her a little queasy. (((Bitsy)))

Maybe ask your vet whether a couple of days treatment with a kaolin probiotic paste might help resolve the diarrhoea?

Mogs

23. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

The SS has been switched to Human meter format. And a row has been added differentiating the Alphatrak readings from the Relion Prime ones.

jt and trouble (GA) and Panic like this.
  24. Debra Pratt

Debra Pratt Member

So now I am confused and upset... the vet said not concerned really about the numbers today as she wasn’t given insulin last night. But they said no matter what her numbers are if she eats even a little she is to get her insulin full dose of 2 units. Which we are only doing 1.5 units now because we did not believe it was safe to jump from 1 unit to 2 in a span of a week. She said that the insulin even helped to regulate lower numbers too!?! That blew my mind as everything I know about insulin is that it lowers your blood glucose numbers; not kept them from going too low as well.

They are finally giving her a script for Cerenia and something to increase her appetite.

25. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Never heard that before. Does she think putting in extra gas keeps a car from running out too? :p

You're doing the right think by taking it slow. It's easy to jump over the "perfect" dose by increasing too much/fast.

Glad she's going to get something to make her feel better. :bighug:

26. Critter Mom

That makes no sense to me.

Correct, and the stuff one injects doesn't come with an OFF switch.

Very glad you got the Rx for the Cerenia and appy stimulant.

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.