? DL methionine and posting Q

Carina and Shelly

Member Since 2026
Hi FDMB,

I posted just now in the Lantus group and I recall we are only supposed to do one post per day. This is a completely seperate issue and wanting to inquire outside the Lantus group in the bigger pool. If there is a better way to do this, please advise.

Prior to her DM Dx Shelly was diagosed with IBD and before that she had a pre-existing condition - urinary crystals. She was on medicated food and then we took her off and tried for a low phosphorous diet. She re-developed the crystals. When she was dignosed with IBD she wouldn't eat the wet RX food so we had her on HP dry. We didn't love that for her so we tried a novel protein instead (first rabbit and then duck from Royal Canin). She liked these for a while, but ultimately rejected them as well (explicitly with the rabbit, implicitly [read: loose stool] with the duck). We then reached out to our vet for advice and she said we could step away from the prescription diets and focus on novel protiens for the IBD and low carb for the diabetes. She thought the Budesonide (the steroid that replaced the diabetes causing Prednisolone) would suffice for thinning her urine.

We are still worried about the development of crystals due to our past experience with switching her off a prescription diet. Recently, we came across DL methionine, a supplement for dissolving crystals that we understand is what is added to these presctiption diets. We also are seeing that we would need to track the PH of her urine. Does anybody have any experience with this? Is there anybody who has a similar or comprable experience that could guide us or advise us?
 
Honestly I think the Lantus group gets way more traffic than any other group on the forum - if I had to guess you'll get a faster response if you just incorporate it into your post tomorrow. You can always keep this one up, see if it gets any good responses, and if not, post on Lantus tomorrow.
Welcome to FDMB
even though you posted on the Lantus Forum,, I will tag two members that have incredible knowledge on all Medical Feline Diabetes illnesses. 🫶
@Sienne and Gabby (GA)
@Wendy&Neko
 
Hi FDMB,

I posted just now in the Lantus group and I recall we are only supposed to do one post per day. This is a completely seperate issue and wanting to inquire outside the Lantus group in the bigger pool. If there is a better way to do this, please advise.

Prior to her DM Dx Shelly was diagosed with IBD and before that she had a pre-existing condition - urinary crystals. She was on medicated food and then we took her off and tried for a low phosphorous diet. She re-developed the crystals. When she was dignosed with IBD she wouldn't eat the wet RX food so we had her on HP dry. We didn't love that for her so we tried a novel protein instead (first rabbit and then duck from Royal Canin). She liked these for a while, but ultimately rejected them as well (explicitly with the rabbit, implicitly [read: loose stool] with the duck). We then reached out to our vet for advice and she said we could step away from the prescription diets and focus on novel protiens for the IBD and low carb for the diabetes. She thought the Budesonide (the steroid that replaced the diabetes causing Prednisolone) would suffice for thinning her urine.

We are still worried about the development of crystals due to our past experience with switching her off a prescription diet. Recently, we came across DL methionine, a supplement for dissolving crystals that we understand is what is added to these presctiption diets. We also are seeing that we would need to track the PH of her urine. Does anybody have any experience with this? Is there anybody who has a similar or comprable experience that could guide us or advise us?
My cat also has urinary tract issues. I give Jude dL-methionine--3 tablets daily (200 mg). I pulverize the tablets and mix them in with a low carb wet treat. I also give him several other supplements, and I'll be glad to share that information with you if you're interested. You want to make sure not to give her the Methigel, which has dL-M in it, because it's full of sugar. I'm not sure how well the dL-M is working for Jude because I haven't taken him to the vet since he's been on it.

I suggest that you follow (and search) this page on FB for information: https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=feline lower urinary tract

And, here is a link that discusses it: Vet Guide to DL‑Methionine in 2025: Urine Acidifier for Canine & Feline Bladder Health 🐾
 
Back
Top