Curves and questions

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Cecil, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Cecil

Cecil New Member

I think I'm going to do a full curve either today or tomorrow. My Kunu hates testing now because his ears bruise but he will sit and tolerate me for the fee moments it takes. My question is:
    He is on 3 units ProZinc which was increased as per my vet in November from 2u. The last check I did +6 and +12 was last weekend but it began on 1/19/20 - his AMPS was 102, so naturally I skipped the shot. I checked at +6 and his reading was 179 then his PMPS was 349 - so naturally I gave him his juice. My next check was 2/1 and his +6 was 108 (I gave him his morning juice that day) and his PMPS was 166. My vet told me not to shoot under 150 so I gave him the juice. Now this morning it was AMPS 185, I gave him his 3 units and will check in a couple hours or +6. I've never adjusted his dose according to his numbers. Is that something I should start doing since they seem a bit more regulated? Or should I just leave it be and continue doing what I'm doing?

Thanks for any help!

2. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

Hello Cecil. You are very smart to check Kunu's blood glucose level before his shot. It's so much safer when you test BGL at home and I'm shocked how many vets don't tell people that. There are some very experienced members here that can help you with dosing, but they need more information to help keep Kunu safe. Off the top of my head, it sounds like it's time to reduce Kunu's dose, but it's more complicated than that, which is why more information is needed. You are absolutely right to skip a dose when he's under 150. A skipped dose is naturally going to make the next test higher, so that's expected. It's important to know how low his BGL is dropping between doses. Getting a BGL test at 3 hours and 5 hours after the injection time should tell you this. When we consider changing doses, it's the low numbers we need to look at rather than the pre-shot numbers. Then, dose changes are usually done slowly, .25 of a unit at a time.

Take a look at my signature. Click on the link that says Billy's Spreadsheet. This is the form the message board has set up to give members all the information they need at a glance, so they can help with dosing suggestions and help in the event of an emergency, such as a dangerously low BGL. You can see that it starts with AMPS (this is the time you give morning shot) and then has columns such as +1, +2, +3, etc. They denote hours after morning shot. So if you give Kunu his shot at 7am, for example, +1 would be 8am, +2 would be 9am, and so on.

If you can get a spreadsheet set up for Kunu, and you can go ahead and put in any BGL tests you have kept track of already. This spreadsheet, this site, and the experienced members here are what kept my Billy safe, and what got him in remission. Every cat is different. Some sugar cats live long and healthy lives while taking insulin and some go into remission, and this spreadsheet will give Kunu his best chance.

To start a spreadsheet, check out New? How You Can Help Us Help You! It is a great place to get started and will explain setting up the spreadsheet. I know you are not a newbie, and have been a member for awhile, but that spreadsheet is imperative for dosing advice.

3. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Hi, I simply wanted to make you aware of this.

All the "Sticky" or pinned posts in the Prozinc forum have been updated and there are a couple of new ones.

Highly recommend that everyone using Prozinc or helping those using Prozinc read them thoroughly.

I'll be doing that myself. Been expecting this for some time. Came about a week before I thought it would.
    Thanks Marje, and Robert, and especially Djamila for the Modified Prozinc Method. You folks are FANTASTIC!