Consensus Statement on Acute and Chronic Pancreatitis 1/2021

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tiffmaxee, Apr 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

2. NyCatMom

NyCatMom Member

This is our internist. Thanks for sharing

tiffmaxee likes this.
  3. tiffmaxee

Which one? There’s a group.

4. NyCatMom

NyCatMom Member

Forman

5. tiffmaxee

That’s great to have a vet from Cornell.

6. NyCatMom

NyCatMom Member

The good news is he's in the NYC metro area and is very knowledgeable. Bad news, appointments are booked fully for six weeks and it's a long ride to his office (about 45-55 mins) and lately she's getting very stressed on the ride. I am very lucky to have a great primary care vet Tech who is very responsive and will set up blood draws with a vet at opening time so we're out of the office in five mins. She does a lot of continuing education on pancreatitis, Cushings, etc but does referrals To other clinics for her cancer patients. That's how we wound up going to Cornell.

7. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Some light Sunday morning reading!

I think it confirms a lot of what "we" already know - the cause is unknown in most cases, ultrasound is best for imaging, but the lab work section was interesting.

One thing I did not know, and this is probably just me being new to pancreatitis, is it's best to feed a highly digestible diet (usually labeled GI food) while they're having an episode. Might have to look and see if there's any low carb

8. tiffmaxee

It’s disappointing to me that they still don’t know the cause.

9. NyCatMom

NyCatMom Member

I've found when Honey is having a flare, feeding her I/D actually helps drop her BG numbers. It makes no sense from a DM management perspective but i think the flare increases insulin resistance. Just my personal theory and the food works for her in those times.

10. Liz & Minnie

Liz & Minnie Well-Known Member

Wondering if (in your spare time, ha!) you found any low carb, highly digestible / GI food? Vet suspects Minnie is in early stages of a pancreatitis episode. She's so picky there's no guarantee she'll eat it, of course. Otherwise, does anyone have any store recommendations? I'll could try some I/D from the vet too but yikes, that is 23%!

thanks!

11. tiffmaxee

I never changed Max’s food as it had no impact on his pancreatitis.

Liz & Minnie likes this.
  12. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I did not ha Im not really sure what qualifies as "highly digestable", perhaps raw? But right now we've got so much other stuff going on I have to prioritize low fat, then low carb, then everything else.

Liz & Minnie likes this.
  13. tiffmaxee

Vets consder RX ID is highly digestible.

14. Liz & Minnie

Liz & Minnie Well-Known Member

Oh indeed, that was definitely wishful thinking on my part! Hope things ticking along ok on your side.

I figured ID is an option but 24% carb?? I googled 'highly digestible foods', looked through a couple of 'top foods recommended 2021' and figured I'd try Merrick limited ingredient and picked up a few small cans of other limited ingredient foods - some were on the low carb foods on the Dr Lisa list. Shotgun approach. She ate Instinct Limited Ingredient which made me think maybe she's not ill at all, just going through a brat phase again of not liking what I give her!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.