Cierra” Story please help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Din, Jan 28, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

The upload does not work. Just copy and paste into the space and that should work.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I'm very surprised Dubbo only has 4 vet places as it is a big place.

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

You need to ask them if they did a fPL spec blood test for the pancreatitis.
    That is the test that is needed to diagnose pancreatitis in cats.
    fPL spec blood test Cats: Normal: <3.5 ug/L. Levels of fPLI > 5.4 ug/L are highly suggestive of pancreatitis.

If they did serum lipase blood test, that is not a diagnostic pancreatic blood test for cats...it can be used for dogs. I think this must be the test your vet did. I dont recognise those results your vet did.

From VCA animal hospitals: https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/pancreatic-lipase-immunoreactivity-in-cats
    Can fPLI be used to monitor cats receiving treatment for pancreatitis?
    Studies have demonstrated that the fPLI test is highly reliable for diagnosing pancreatitis in cats with moderate to severe pancreatitis. Cats with mild disease are more difficult to diagnose reliably. However, fPLI outperforms all other blood tests and is considered the best for diagnosing cats’ pancreatitis.

"...fPLI outperforms all other blood tests and is considered the best for diagnosing cats’ pancreatitis."

fPL spec blood test
    Cats: Normal: <3.5 ug/L. Levels of fPLI > 5.4 ug/L are highly suggestive of pancreatitis.

4. Din

Din Member

Unfortunately yes . there are few other places for big animals such as horses/ cows.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  5. Din

Din Member

I’m sure they didn’t do that kind of test. Because I asked and took blood test results copy. I’ll ask them to do it. In Dubbo Duncan is best vet. Who ever talk about him giving best review. But unfortunately when I call last time he didn’t take new patients. This time I didn’t call him. Straight away took my girl to this vet place. Because last time they save my girl.

6. Din

Din Member

I’ll ask them to do this test. To be honest it’s really hard to ask them something we want. I was crying and begging to look after my girl. As soon as I come
    Out they laughed

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Oh that is so bad to do that.
    How is she this afternoon. Have you seen her?
    Hopefully they will save her again this time.
    Is she on an intravenous drip (getting fluids)?
    Is she eating at all?

8. Din

Din Member

Yes that’s all I need Bron . I just need to save my girl. She is on fluids and antibiotics . I’m going to see her now. I told them call me before give insulin, I’ll update here when I come back. Thank you for your every single message Bron. I really appreciate. If you did not reply, I have no one to talk about this and get an advice.

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Can you take your spreadsheet and show them?
    I'm glad she is on a drip and antibiotics.
    Ask is she eating and is she getting antinausea medications and pain medications as pancreatitis is painful

10. Din

Din Member

I told them after started eating Fancy feast her glucose got dropped. But can not argue with them. You will surprise vet said don’t worry about carbs need less fat. So go back to Royal canine diabetes.

Now she is eating little bit. One of nurse said Because of her glucose dropped to 3.9 they add glucose to her fluids. This evening around 7pm it’s going up again like a rocket. They gave 3 units at 7 pm. I asked about fpl test. One of Doctor from night shift said they are thinking about it.

11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Im glad Cierra is eating some food. Just let them feed her the food they want to while she is in the hospital, then when you get home, You can go back to fancy feast.
    It is not true that cats with pancreatitis need less fat. It is true for dogs but not cats.
    I’m glad they are thinking about the fPL spec test.
    I hope you can get some sleep tonight.

12. Bron and Sheba (GA)

You might like to start a new thread tomorrow when you have time as this one is getting a bit too long. Just when you are ready.:)

13. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Lipase level is not an accurate way to diagnose pancreatitis in cats.

Have the vet contact the University of Queensland to learn about treating diabetes in cats. It's where the research on Lantus was done. I don't know if Jacqui Rand, DVM. I believe she's retired and now the Executive Director and Chief Scientist at Australian Pet Welfare Foundation.

14. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Are you sure the units are correct? I just looked at a recent INDEXX report for my Boots. For
    Lipase the reference range given is 0 - 45 U/L

15. Din

Din Member

@Larry and Kitties

this report has done from IDEXX. Lipase reference value is 100-1400 U/L. Is it same as INDEXX ? ?

Cierra”s number is showing as <6000

16. Din

Din Member

@Sienne and Gabby (GA)
    Seems like this vet has lack of knowledge on his job. Unfortunately my girl is with them.
    Don’t worry much about carbs feed royal canine diabetes it does have less fat.

They are changing my girl”s insulin does tooooo fast.

now (last time too) they decided Cierra does have pancreatitis looking at LIPASE number.

Cierra is on fluids now.
    I’ll ask them again to do Fpl Stec blood test.

Please advise me Sienna, what can do to make normal Lipace number?

what other test should do to find out why lipace is that high?

her kidney number is 17. Vet said it’s because of Cierra is dehydrated now. Is it can be true ?

17. Din

Din Member

Good morning Bron I’ll start it now. Thank you

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  18. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The N should not have been included.

Din likes this.
  19. Din

Din Member

@Bron and Sheba (GA) sorry I couldn’t find a tab for new Threads Bron

20. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Go back to the Main Health page and look in the top right corner under your user name and alerts and you will see post new thread.
    Click on that.:)

21. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Din, what is the latest news with Cierra?

22. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Din, any news. I am feeling worried

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.